Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2019, 03:20 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,763,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I agree. Private sector workers would have to tough it out. Why should government employees have exalted status at taxpayers' cost?
Because the government sector IS different.

My daughter just got offered a short term well paying job in her field. She isn’t legally allowed to take it because one of the criteria of her contract as a government employee is that she cannot do any side work in her field. She can’t even take a part time job without her supervisors approval which she cannot get. She can’t even just quit without consequences due to her security clearances which are admittedly pretty low. It’s likely much worse for those with serious clearances.

None of that would happen to a private sector employee. If you are expected to go weeks without pay you are free to get new employment without facing legal action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 05:48 PM

16,670 posts, read 8,667,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I honestly think that this is why there has been so much nasty resentment towards federal government workers during the shutdown. Prior to 2013 when there weren't constant threats of shutdowns every 2-3 months, working for the federal government was viewed as one of the most stress-free jobs with great benefits and stability (especially for mid-level employees).

The federal government gets unlimited numbers of applications, and it is very hard to break in. In both these threads and in real life, I know people who hate the "government" because they couldn't get in. That is not the only reason (some hate it for other reasons), but I think it is a contributor to all of the animosity. 99% of federal workers have absolutely nothing to do with hiring decisions, so the anger is misplaced.
WRONG

Unless you are the wrong color or gender.

The racist policy of affirmative action is responsible for the hiring of minorities and women well above an normal criteria of hiring the most qualified for the job. It is a combination of the now outlawed quota system, and more disturbingly lowering of standards to try to make every group of equal or greater numbers over white males.
This can include, but is not limited to special treatment regarding experience, education, physical and/or mental prowess, even criminal history. There are other absurd consideration where the standards were lowered to chive what they now call "diversity goals", but the music is still the same.

Heck, go into any federal workplace and tell me there are not a disproportionate number of minorities as compared with the general public.
This is of course not limited to only federal jobs, as federal contracts where they give advantage to minority and women owned businesses, and/or if you happen to have a higher % of XYZ, you will get the contract over more reputable or even lower bidding companies who do not meet the liberal PC criteria.

I could go on but would be preaching to the choir on one hand, and speaking to others who intentionally have their heads buried in the sand on the other.

`

Old 01-17-2019, 05:50 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,702,132 times
They should eventually pay the ones who actually worked.

Those that didn't work, shouldn't get anything.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:01 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,597,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
so everyone on unemployment is on a paid vacation in the private sector?

your argument seems to only stop at where it is convenient to hate on fed workers

call back pay a retention/reenlistment bonus then, the work is still there and it still needs to get done. if they don't pay the people already trained to do the work to come back, what do you think it would cost to train a new set of people? and the money would still be spent because they would be paying new hires, and trainers as well as overtime to get the work caught up
Are unemployed people getting paid??

Old 01-17-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Google business interruption insurance. It's the employee version of that.
I couldn’t care less if it were paid out of an insurance but it’s not.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:05 PM

11,165 posts, read 7,992,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Need some explanation here. For those who didn’t work, why should they be paid?

Before you argue it’s not their fault, it’s not the taxpayers’ fault either. In the private sector, if a company shuts down due to slow sales, nobody would be paid.

Since they will get the pay back for not doing any work, that’s like paid vacation! Frankly, all the whining from the federal employees is only because they have no savings when they know government shutdowns are not rare events.
I am betting that if it was you... you’d be squealing like a stuck pig if you didn’t get your back pay whether you worked for it during the period or not. You’d feel just as entitled to your pay as they are. It’s not because of a financial crisis... it’s political. Your analogy doesn’t fit.
A lot of those federal employees ARE still going to work even though they’re not getting a regular paycheck.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
First of all, government shutdowns used to be rare events when we had lawmakers with integrity; now they are becoming common because they find utility in using other people's livelihoods as bargaining chips.

Second of all, did you know there are hundreds of thousands of got employees who are STILL WORKING WHILE NOT GETTING PAID? They're doing things like managing air traffic so that your ungrateful keister is safe if you decide to travel somewhere. Or they're defending the life of the very muppet you support who started this shutdown (Trump, in case you're not clear). Or they're reviewing safety of new drugs that could save people's lives. How often does the private sector expect you to still show up and do a job that is critical to the well-being of others?

Finally, none of these workers CHOSE to go on forced vacation now. They expected to show up and do a necessary job and get paid for it. It's our government who has yanked the rug out on that deal.

Your entire premise is "all government workers are scum and I don't feel sorry for them." It's frankly disgusting, and you should be ashamed of yourself.
1. Define livelihood. People will be paid one way or another. They aren’t being screwed in anyway.

2. Those who work should be paid and they will be paid. That was not what I was talking about.

3. When an employer is not doing well, people don’t choose to vacation - they were forced to leave without pay.

Again, what’s the moral justification for people, who didn’t work during the shutdown, to get paid? They didn’t do the work.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I am betting that if it was you... you’d be squealing like a stuck pig if you didn’t get your back pay whether you worked for it during the period or not. You’d feel just as entitled to your pay as they are. It’s not because of a financial crisis... it’s political. Your analogy doesn’t fit.
I would laugh hard and book a vacation trip!

Please explain where’s the hardship here? Those people will be paid for NOT working!

Old 01-17-2019, 06:10 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,307,039 times
It's very easy to ask when you're not dealing with it.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:13 PM

57,409 posts, read 26,328,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
WRONG

Unless you are the wrong color or gender.

The racist policy of affirmative action is responsible for the hiring of minorities and women well above an normal criteria of hiring the most qualified for the job. It is a combination of the now outlawed quota system, and more disturbingly lowering of standards to try to make every group of equal or greater numbers over white males.
This can include, but is not limited to special treatment regarding experience, education, physical and/or mental prowess, even criminal history. There are other absurd consideration where the standards were lowered to chive what they now call "diversity goals", but the music is still the same.

Heck, go into any federal workplace and tell me there are not a disproportionate number of minorities as compared with the general public.
This is of course not limited to only federal jobs, as federal contracts where they give advantage to minority and women owned businesses, and/or if you happen to have a higher % of XYZ, you will get the contract over more reputable or even lower bidding companies who do not meet the liberal PC criteria.

I could go on but would be preaching to the choir on one hand, and speaking to others who intentionally have their heads buried in the sand on the other.

`
You seem to have done some extensive research, maybe you can post some of your results here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies