Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 11:58 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times

Advertisements

Pelosi and the House Democrats passed bills to end the shutdown.

It's in McConnell's court now.

The Senate already passed almost identical legislation in the not so distant past. So all McConnell has to do is hold another vote.

Trump could veto the legislation, that true. Congress would have to override the veto to open the government back up.

Pelosi and the Democrats have done their part. Now McConnell and the Republicans need to do theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 11:58 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Take a pill.
I'm not going to sit silent as if I condone this vile evil madness...... you can take another pill if that is what has sedated your mind.... and led you into blind acceptance of the stupidity of this Shut down mess by a wanna be Dictator.... that is your choice....

Old 01-17-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Pelosi could end the shutdown now.

In the grand scheme of the budget what Trump is asking for is spare change.

I heard on the radio that if the US budget was $50,000 total what Trump is asking for is $47.

I don't know what is wrong with the Dems that they cannot recognize that there is a problem at the border.

They either just don't care about enforcing our immigration laws by shoring up the border against those that are looking to skip the line and break the law OR they simply hate Trump that much and they refuse to work with him.

I think they do hate him that much and giving him the wall money to secure the border would be like handing him a win and making him look good in the eyes of his supporters.

It is a petty political game to play with peoples lives but the Dems are more than willing to do it as this mess grinds on.

Having approx. 800,000 workers out of work is a ripple in the economy. If TSA shuts down which will slow air travel that could be a problem for people and YIKES the SuperBowl !

Imagine if the Super Bowl is cancelled over this? Pelosi wouldn't care but Trump supporters sure would.
Pelosi nor anyone else should not give one penny for a border wall.... Pelosi should do exactly what they are doing and that is work on processes and procedures and application for "comprehensive border reform" while also working on Immigration Reforms as a combined process.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:01 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Will The Shutdown Induce A Recession?
How would you know?

Trump's daily screw-ups have certainly had a measurable effect on the market, his trade war has put an end to Obama's recovery, the level of uncertainty of what he'll do next has slowed investment from what it might have been in an otherwise strong economy, and the knowledge that "the trump boost" is just temporary, and cannot be sustained once we've given everything away all are leading us in that direction anyway.

I think it's unwise to blame it on the shutdown, or any one reason.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermomma View Post
Buckle up, word is that this shutdown will last until April.
If it does... then America can once and for all... identify "every one of these Right Wing Nuts" that supported it and those who gave their passive non positional means of falling in like... just like "true Serf's"....

Old 01-17-2019, 12:09 PM

271 posts, read 139,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
The government shutdown has been in place since around Christmas. Aside from the income loss for a significant portion of the population will this now have an effect on the travel industry. Will people just stop flying in significant numbers since the danger of one day strikes by unpaid federal workers becomes thinkable? How will this ripple across the economy as a whole?

Call your republican senators. End this shutdown now. The blame cannot be shifted to the democrats while there was such a blatant acceptance of responsibility for the shutdown by the President.
Robert Moriarty : Food Stamp fiasco and control of the narrative ---- The Yellow Vests have the answer

A short look at what's coming from the guy who called the meltdown of Crypto currencies within 1 week of a YouTube interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmuHVL1Wqfg&t=923s

Old 01-17-2019, 12:43 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Who said that? And why April? The point is to get negotiations going. Is the Dem party out there saying that they aren't going to do anything until April? Links? Citations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyKay44 View Post
Robert Moriarty : Food Stamp fiasco and control of the narrative ---- The Yellow Vests have the answer

A short look at what's coming from the guy who called the meltdown of Crypto currencies within 1 week of a YouTube interview

Thanks for reminding me. There was another thread sometime a week ago...I think it was a week ago...that stated the media was telling people they wouldn't get any food stamps for February. I stated, in that thread, that I would inquire from someone I know who gets food stamps the next time I see them. I don't know about everywhere else, but I just found out yesterday that they all got their food stamps for February early. So instead of waiting for February, their allotment for February has already been added on to their little cards.

Hope they budget wisely and don't get stupid because that's all they have until March - and we'll see what happens for March.

Old 01-17-2019, 12:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No. This is a drop in the bucket to the US economy.
It is currently a drop in the bucket but it could spin out of control. TSA is the total wild card in this thing. If they decide to strike until they are paid, the airline industry would grind to a halt which would negatively affect all businesses. Economies are funny things, sometimes a little nudge makes them tank.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:05 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
No - but it will continue to hold back where we WOULD BE, just like Trumps other policies did that for the past year. In other words, we are losing trillions of dollars in "usual" gains.

Those who don't know that probably don't have a lot of investments.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:13 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
This year or next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies