Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 01:35 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,426,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The author is a USAF vet. I thought you right wingers were big on thanking vets for their service.
Being a veteran of the United States military is not a free pass for stupidity. See Nathan Phillips for further details!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 05:30 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Actually, Happy Holidays may be a kind gesture by some, but on a grander scale, it's an attempt to remove the term Merry Christmas because it is seen by the far left extremists as a term that is offensive and exploitative.

"it's an attempt to remove the term Merry Christmas because it is seen by the far left extremists as a term that is offensive and exploitative"

And I'd bet not a single person who refuses to say Merry Christmas has EVER turned down a CHRISTMAS present.

Pure HYPOCRITES!

Old 01-31-2019, 07:38 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Being a veteran of the United States military is not a free pass for stupidity. See Nathan Phillips for further details!
Yep, no thanks to servicemen who disagree with your politics or do not see things through your narrow lens. They are just stupid.

Apparently the concept of "hitting too close to home" is one that is lost on you concerning this guy. Intellectually it is clear that he understands what the photo actually represents but from a deep seated emotional standpoint when that photo hit his amygdala he probably had a negative visceral response that you or I would not have. So he wrote about it. You posted it. I learned something. You called him stupid. I suppose we are both better off for it in our own minds. Thanks for posting it.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:44 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
The author is a USAF vet. I thought you right wingers were big on thanking vets for their service.
thanks for your service ya simpering nitwit.

Everything is racist, coal miner edition

first comment to this ludicrous excuse of an article gets it:

Quote:
This story proves that not enough 'journalists' have been fired yet

Old 01-31-2019, 08:02 AM

13,940 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Yep, no thanks to servicemen who disagree with your politics or do not see things through your narrow lens. They are just stupid.
The American people "thank" service members on the 1st and 15th of every month when they compensate them. In the ten years I served, it was all the thanks I cared about or needed. I did my fast attack submarine thing, and the American people thanked me for it by putting money in my bank account twice a month.

Beyond that, no, I don't need you to thank me, nor agree with me, nor give me special consideration during a conversation because I served. We're both individuals free to say and NOT SAY whatever we want.

And FYI - just like in the civilian population, the military microcosm comes with a healthy percentage of total morons who are indeed just plain stupid.

Now, for anyone who wants to actually thank service members in a way all service members will universally agree is awesome, beyond that paycheck, here's what you do - find a unit/command/outfit that is deployed to a forward area, combat theater, whatever...and send cookies. Girl Scout cookies and Oreos are always winners. Want your thanks to be remembered, then say it with thin mints.

Back on topic - the oped writer who took offense to an historical photo of coal miners at the pub after a work day needs to seek psychiatric help. Period. Looking into a historical to find offense and feelings of racial persecution is someone with serious psychiatric issues that need to be addressed by trained professionals. Demanding that other people not only validate but acquiesce to those psychiatric issues is the height of narcissism, which is another thing the psychiatric professional should help them with.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Apparently the concept of "hitting too close to home" is one that is lost on you concerning this guy. Intellectually it is clear that he understands what the photo actually represents but from a deep seated emotional standpoint when that photo hit his amygdala he probably had a negative visceral response that you or I would not have. So he wrote about it. You posted it. I learned something. You called him stupid. I suppose we are both better off for it in our own minds. Thanks for posting it.

His being a serviceman has absolutely nothing to do with it. His assertion that a photograph of miners with soot on their faces is somehow "racist" is about as ridiculous as one can get. His article is stupid, as is the whole trend in The Current Year of finding "racism" in every nook and cranny of existence.

Guess we can add photographs of miners with soot on their faces to the list:

www.everythingisracism.com

Three slappies and two eyerolls.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:43 AM

Oh look, now another dumb journalist weighs in to tell us that Mary Poppins is troubling and problematic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/m...blackface.html

Old 01-31-2019, 10:07 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Oh look, now another dumb journalist weighs in to tell us that Mary Poppins is troubling and problematic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/28/m...blackface.html
the market for 'bigotry' and 'racism' so greatly exceeds supply that SJWs must go 50 - 100 years back in time searching for it.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:23 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:

I'm a veteran. This guy is an idiot.

He didn't just write about it, he insisted the photos be taken down because after "the photo hit is amygdala", he wouldn't accept that he was wrong despite the evidence that he found after researching the photo. He is not the only person who has "deep seated emotions" - the difference is that most people realize that they are emotional and insert some logic before screeching for the manager and writing long winded diatribes about a picture in some random restaurant.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:03 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
I would imagine the snowflake military vet that wrote the article takes issue with a Black comic book character being white-washed in a move or TV series version. Now, what if it was black-washing? Crickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies