Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 06:25 PM

13,698 posts, read 9,030,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
A roaring economy ALWAYS means a roaring stock market. Yet we are actually about 6% lower than a year ago. That's a metric that has much more effect on most of us than a 2% wage gain.

A roaring economy is one where you can balance a budget or pay back debt.

It's not a "roaring economy" when you go take out a 3rd mortgage on your house and spend the money.

When your health insurance costs go up - GDP goes up. When the military spends more...out of debt and deficits, the GDP goes up. When Trump gives back Trillions from debt and deficit, the GDP goes up.

Those are not "good" increases in the GDP.
Most Americans know this which is why he will never get "credit" for being the King of Debt (his claim, not mine) or the Tariff King. His numbers have been lower for longer than any POTUS measured in history.

That's saying something.

Economic news is mostly BS. Look at Trump tweeting about the DOW passing 25K....well, it did that over a year ago....26K too. Then it went way down. I looked at all the charts for my very diverse investments today. I have made back 1/2 of the "Trump Loses" - that is, from the bottom...but it is nowhere near where it would be if 2018 was even a basic stock market year (8-9%).

Obviously, you make some good points. We are about to pass 22 trillion dollars in debt. Very bad indeed, although Mr. Trump, as Candidate, promised he would extinguish the debt within 8 years.

While wages have risen, not nearly enough.

The stock market going up (and you are absolutely right; Mr. Trump tweeted about the market hitting 25,000 one year ago, and again a few days ago) does not benefit many working people. I did benefit from the rising market (especially from 2009 to 2018), due to my Thrift Savings Plan. Last August I (having had to retire) moved ALL of my TSP into government securities. I had $413,000.00 in said TSP, I was no longer working, and I wanted to keep it. I am glad I did. My TSP pays me $3,000.00 per month. In 2018, I received $18,000 from said TSP, and, even with earning interest of only 2.75 percent, still have $401,000.00 in the kitty (2.75, of course, is good; look at your bank's rate for your savings account).

Nevertheless, I am glad that the job market is still strong. It is better than the alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 06:31 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,381,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Why are all my investments down from a year ago? Why did the Fed say they were going to stop...a complete reversal....raising interest rates to actual real levels?

Why are most all forecasts for the stock market poor for the next couple of years?

Why is the debt swelling and the yearly deficit over a trillion (when it was down to almost 1/2 that in Obamas last years)?

Whoever can answer these questions gets a gold star.

Americans must be stupid. A RECORD number (56%) claim that they would DEFINITELY not vote for Trump - a full 10 points more than said the same for Obama at this point in his POTUS.
A thread about America doing well and all you have for input is that? It's about the whole country and your first sentence says a lot, it's about you and yours.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:32 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,701,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
A thread about America doing well and all you have for input is that? It's about the whole country and your first sentence says a lot, it's about you and yours.
Well, then let's go with facts. The 13th month where the DOW has been below what it was a year ago......a high of 26.5K and, a year later, we are about to go through 25K again...on the DOWNSIDE.

How is that great? It's not. You don't have to explain since I know.

If America is doing so well, why are 46% of people in Florida now making it? That's not "well" by any measure. Why did the Fed hold off on making interest rates normal "market" rates? Answer: because we are not going "well".

It doesn't matter what people say. The numbers tell the story. 46%.

Think about that.....using common sense, you'd have to guess that many of the 54% who are not completely broke are also not doing so great. Many are two weeks away from broke...or three weeks...or a month.

"In Florida, the top 1 percent had an average income of $1.54 million in 2015, or 39.5 times as much as the $39,094 average income for the bottom 99 percent, a new study says."

If you consider that great...well, we differ in our opinions. Simple. No biggie....just different takes on what we consider a civilized nation.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:38 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,779,035 times
Out of that 100 months, 24 are Trump's. The rest are Obama's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies