Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 05:45 AM

958 posts, read 304,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
You are ignoring 1000+ year of history in which Catholics burned people at the stake for simply questioning church dogma, made an institutional practice of buggering alter boys, a religion in which the pope of all people led armies into battle, was complicit in many Jewish pogroms including the holocaust, used torture and terror in the inquisition for 300 years to eliminate dissension and competing religions, was instrumental in dismantling entire cultures in the name of control and dominance, has amassed tremendous riches so that their leaders can live in opulence while the lay people struggle to get by, and have fomented countless wars for political gain. But yes, the church has been somewhat accepting of other ethnicities as long as they toe the line and swallow their Kool-aid, and don't try to rock the boat by being a Pope.

The Catholic church is anything but some benevolent organization interested in the betterment of man. It is the epitome of exploiting human fears of the unknown in order to create myths designed to gain control of people. It is anything but fit to be at the head of a modern state. It is an insidious organization.

So many lies in such a small space. The Crusades were a defense against Islamic murdering. A few bad gay priests have violated their vows by 'buggering boys' as you say. Yes, some people have done bad things. But how, again, do these acts by fallible humans invalidate the perfect teachings of Jesus?

I could easily counter that the atheism promoted in the schools and government today should be invalidated by the 100 million murders commited by atheists and atheist regimes in the last century.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Bolding added by me. Just curious--while you are free to call it "Obummercare" as much as you like, why are you not using the capital O key? Are your fingers just missing the O key and managing to hit the zero ("0") key?

In my view, nothing is accomplished by referring to politicians et al. one does not like by demeaning their names. I refer to Mr. Trump, Ms. Pelosi, Mr. McConnell, Mr. Obama, Mr. Mueller, and Ms. Clinton (and others) by their honorifics and names, on this and other fora, when I engage in civil debate. Changing a politician's name, in order to demean a politician, is something a third-grader would do. It is not something that adults engaged in honest and good faith debate would do.

Please stop. You may not like Mr. Obama's health care plan, and that's fine, but mangling the man's name to produce "0bummercare" is, in my view, discourteous. So, for that matter, is tRump, Shrillary, Hitllery, Obummer, Don the Con, and the Cheeto-in-Chief. Please, if you want to refer to Mr. Obama's health care program by its colloquial name, then call it by its colloquial name: Obamacare. Without the zero.

In other words, those who demean the man's name show themselves to be nothing more than a third-grader, who has no debating skills, and who can make his or her classmates laugh with such digs. But we are adults here. I would suggest that you use Mr. Obama's and Mr. Trump's and the others' names correctly, and see how much more seriously your argument is taken.
I'm sorry. The unqualified empty-suit Communist marionette who tried his best to destroy America doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the roster of presidents. I can't even bring myself to mention his name. He is a zero. The best I can do is 0bummer. And even that is more than he deserves.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No, I'm responding to this comment of yours:

Folks have kids 70% out of wedlock are neither Christian nor conservatives. No more than politicians like Pelosi, Cuomo, and Biden who push abortion on demand are Catholics.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Yes, especially the one who molested his sisters and their friends. Fine young man.
One child in 19 did some bad things once. And how does this compare with the thousands of dysfunctional leftwing 'families'. Can you people even get one out of two kids to be normal?

Old 02-05-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
He claims to be Catholic. Having grown up in the a Catholic church and attending its schools for 12 years, I've never heard anyone speak like this. For example, the no birth control or sex before marriage. My mom's generation, who are in their 80's, may have bought into this. In fact my mom had a friend who discovered on her honeymoon that she'd married a gay man. While they were dating she thought he was such a gentleman because he never touched her. Poor woman.

In my generation, however, everyone I know used birth control and had premarital sex.

So this guy sounds much more like a troll who is getting fundamentalism confused wih Catholicism.
Odd that an alleged Catholic like yourself doesn't know the rules of the Catholic church. The fact that you and your pals violated those rules just proves you didn't and don't take your faith seriously.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:00 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Following the OP peel back the layers to his true purpose here on earth -- Fascinating.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
That's right and if they don't follow that line of thinking you can cloister them away, don't forget to watch your sons you know how those priests can be.....

I wake up and find 8 more pages from this troll, same garbage over and over but now he wants us living in a Catholic World. I say move to Vatican City. Of course in his mind we can bring back the Inquisition for those that don't comply , send promiscuous sinners to convents and monasteries and condemn those in Gods name for their earthly sins and be grateful for being worthy to belong to Samaritan.... Talk about a high speed run to 3rd world status....Keep drinking the Kool-Aid!
Eight pages? That's a lot of people talking to me. Including you. So why are you whining about it, and if it sounds repetitive, you must mean the slow folks who keep repeating "33% overhead" when only one in 12 payments could possibly go to overhead.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:03 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
Women who are unmarried have absolutely no business knowing about birth control.
So you would like to keep the population as ignorant as possible? I've never heard of that as a policy, other than in dictatorships, although it would seem to work best for the Catholic church to dictate and control it's members. Duh. They must love the uneducated.

And, frankly, why do you have any business lecturing anyone on birth control?

Here's a good story. My Irish Catholic godmother obeyed the church rules. After having her 7th child, she was told the next one would kill her. So she guiltily used birth control.

It is 2019, and the catholic church is governing like it's still medieval days. People are leaving the church--not joining. They are becoming too educated to believe fairy tales told by an organization that dictates and wants total control all of their behavior.

Religion is a form of social control--that is its main purpose.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, don't write Thomas Jefferson and Franklin out of history like some "Christians" are doing...just because they didn't believe in the divinity of Jesus. Teach them the real stuff - not how they should interpret it.

Do it. Education is what is missing in this country. But there is plenty of Fundie education....just not actual science, math, history, etc.
I don't think people who think sea levels will rise by three feet if we keep driving automobiles should comment on 'science'. People who think 1/12 = 1/3 shouldn't be comment on math, and people who think Hitler was a practicing Catholic when he ruled Nazi Germany shouldn't be talking about history.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:08 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
That's right and if they don't follow that line of thinking you can cloister them away, don't forget to watch your sons you know how those priests can be.....

I wake up and find 8 more pages from this troll, same garbage over and over but now he wants us living in a Catholic World. I say move to Vatican City. Of course in his mind we can bring back the Inquisition for those that don't comply , send promiscuous sinners to convents and monasteries and condemn those in Gods name for their earthly sins and be grateful for being worthy to belong to Samaritan.... Talk about a high speed run to 3rd world status....Keep drinking the Kool-Aid!
You conveniently forget or ignore that if Henry VIII hadn't wanted a divorce and denied it by the Pope, England would still be a Catholic country today like Ireland is and the Founding Fathers would have been Catholic as well. Just wanting a divorce by one person changed history in a significant way.
If anyone's ancestors are European going back at least 1000 years, they were Roman Catholic as that was the only recognized Christian religion in Europe for a very long time.
The Eastern Orthodox or Catholic Orthodox Church has the second highest number of Christians after the Roman Catholic Church. Any Protestant denomination comes in a distant third and Roman Catholics not only make up the largest Christian denomination in this country today but in the world like it or not, that's just a fact, but you don't need to like it. There's no Kool-Aide involved.

Last edited by marino760; 02-05-2019 at 06:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies