Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Democrats' new abortion position?
Yes, choosing whether a baby lives or dies after birth is a decision between a woman and her doctor. 15 11.45%
No, this is premeditated murder. 108 82.44%
Not sure/don't know/undecided/other 8 6.11%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 10:32 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,202,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
To be clear, the Virginia abortion law as it stands today, already allows for this. There is no change. The proposed bill, which has been defeated, allows for some of the obstacles to be removed for the procedure (one doctor's approval versus three doctors' approvals, for instance).
Yes. The law really would not have changed much other than not making a woman jump through hoops to get the medical care that she and her doctor think is best.

Could you imagine being told that the baby you want very much is going to die horribly, then having to go find two more doctors get appointments go see them, possible need more testing for that doctor, pay your co pays or the full visit charge out of pocket, then you can finally set up an appointment that your original doctor has deemed necessary?

What other medical treatment requires the patient to jump through these hoops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 10:34 AM

989 posts, read 455,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Yes. The law really would not have changed much other than not making a woman jump through hoops to get the medical care that she and her doctor think is best.

Could you imagine being told that the baby you want very much is going to die horribly, then having to go find two more doctors get appointments go see them, possible need more testing for that doctor, pay your co pays or the full visit charge out of pocket, then you can finally set up an appointment that your original doctor has deemed necessary?

What other medical treatment requires the patient to jump through these hoops?

Not a one.

Also, if you end up carrying a child with severe deformaties that make life impossible, there are already several medical interventions (doctors) in the mix who have come to that diagnosis. But, those are probably not good enough since they were all ordered under the one GYN.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:46 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, I support ending the suffering for non-viable fetuses who have severe health conditions that make them non-viable. You seem to be the one who think parents and dying infants should suffer. That suggests that something is wrong with you.
cannot rep you but as a professional,I have spent some time caring for the babies (anencephalic babies , microcephalic children most of which need sedation for the pain),and I find it heartbreaking to hear their cries .

I cannot condemn a woman to make such a difficult decision and have helped run sessions where even later,those that have had an abortion are still struggling with their decision.

we should never condemn women who have abortions for it is their struggle,their bodies,.we just need to be there for them if they need support imo

Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,986,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
I quoted it for him, and he still didn't read it... I think that tells us all we need to know about this poster, to be quite honest.
Actually, I quoted it exactly several pages back, but I don't think you read it because you keep saying something different. If there is a different quote to support what you say, I want to see it.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,375,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
We believe it because you vote for politicians who are open to it, as demonstrated by Northam's statements.

You're simply hearing what you want to hear and ignoring everything else. Including the fact that Northam's interpretation, or in this case horribly verbal summary, of what the bill would or wouldn't allow has absolutely ZERO bearing on the legal interpretation of that legislation.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:12 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Just wondering how people feel about the Democrats' new abortion position. That position was articulated by Virginia Governor Ralph Northam, when he stated that one option would be to deliver the baby, make him or her comfortable, and then have a discussion with the mother about whether the baby should live or die.

Personally, I strongly disagree. What do you think?

I think you conveniently overlooked the fact that Northam's position was stated in reference to non-viable babies. I'm surprised you didn't lead with the typically hyperbolic 'Baby Killers! '

Old 02-08-2019, 11:13 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,375,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think you conveniently overlooked the fact that Northam's position was stated in reference to non-viable babies. I'm surprised you didn't lead with the typically hyperbolic 'Baby Killers! '

The OP ain't the only one, just read some of the doozies in this thread....

Old 02-08-2019, 11:16 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Actually, I quoted it exactly several pages back, but I don't think you read it because you keep saying something different. If there is a different quote to support what you say, I want to see it.
Say what? Was this meant for me?

Old 02-08-2019, 11:17 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
I heard exactly what Northam said. If he doesn't understand the laws he's discussing, then he should explain himself. He hasn't.

Yet you fail to support it with a credible source.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:19 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,986,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Say what? Was this meant for me?
Sort of. You wrote the post, but the OP is the one who refuses to respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies