Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2019, 04:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You think it's fair IN YOUR MIND. But that's your subjective opinion. And it's wrong, from where I sit.

What you keep saying is that a black fraternity and blacks in general aren't going to be dictated to by "prominent Jews" - even going to far as to say that the Jewish community is "bullying" blacks. (Quoted words are picked up verbatim from your posts.) The resentment you have toward Jews is apparent.

What would you have us Jews do or say? Sit by quietly and not object when a major black fraternity honors a horrific anti-Semite who proudly brags he wants Jews dead? Do YOU (and/or other blacks) sit by quietly when the KKK or White nationalists march in the street? Nope. You object, as well you should.

What's telling is not only that this major fraternity has no qualms honoring The Grand Antisemite, but that you and others are taking a haughty attitude that Jews even have the nerve to complain about it.

Sorry, but this Jew is not going to sit quietly by as she observes the rising acceptance of antisemitism, be it among white nationalists or black fraternities.
This is rich coming from the likes of you.

You think I don’t know that not all that long ago, Jews ROUTINELY changed their names to sound more Gentile so that they could join racist (and anti Semitic) country clubs, business groups, and attend elite schools and join their tenured academia?

But after all of that, you think it’s your place to demand that we all publicly rebuke a fellow BGLO member? Seriously?

Like Tinawina said, this is likely being debated and handled. But you don’t need to know about the conversation just like blacks aren’t privy to conversations within the Jewish community.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
So, you are saying there are some very fine people on both sides?
Who are the “both groups” in your statement?

Old 02-04-2019, 04:22 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Tell ‘em again because they’re very hardheaded. They don’t know or understand the BGLO culture and they need to get it in their heads that the normal tactics they might try will just hit a brick wall. The culture is impenetrable to outsiders. And the Ques ESPECIALLY will not back down publicly.

99% of these posters didn’t even know the D9 existed before they posted on the thread.
(Not that they would) They won't have to back down because universities won't go after them because it would quite possibly go badly for their cash cows of mens basketball and football.

AFter what happened to U of Missouri, you can bet that they're scared sh*tless about messing with a black frat and having it blow up in their faces.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:27 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Who are the “both groups” in your statement?
The guys in the fraternity and the people protesting against them.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:00 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
From where I stand, it is a great analogy. If you are struggling to see it, perhaps it is your own unconscious bias.
Nope. I’m not the one with the bias lol.

You are the one assuming the entire organization agrees with this action even though we keep telling you 1. That’s unlikely and 2. Their history of privacy would keep disputes over it out of the public eye and 3.their culture of brotherhood would make them highly unlikely to resign. They will fight for new leadership before they resign.

That’s a bit different than a riot where one side spent the night before chanting “Jews will not replace us”.

Omegas didn’t pledge omega because they hate Jewish people. And this decision wasn’t made by popular vote, it was made by the members of the governing chapter... a handful of older guys most likely (who I would bet money all attended the Million Man March heh.)

But do you I guess.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:28 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Nope. I’m not the one with the bias lol.

You are the one assuming the entire organization agrees with this action even though we keep telling you 1. That’s unlikely and 2. Their history of privacy would keep disputes over it out of the public eye and 3.their culture of brotherhood would make them highly unlikely to resign. They will fight for new leadership before they resign.

That’s a bit different than a riot where one side spent the night before chanting “Jews will not replace us”.

Omegas didn’t pledge omega because they hate Jewish people. And this decision wasn’t made by popular vote, it was made by the members of the governing chapter... a handful of older guys most likely (who I would bet money all attended the Million Man March heh.)

But do you I guess.
Hello?

A very small portion of the people there were marching with the tiki torches. A lot more of the people were peacefully protesting the removal of the statues because that is part of their heritage and culture. Something that “outsiders” might not understand, and maybe even misinterpret.

And I have no doubt in my mind that many of them, didn’t agree with the Tiki torch guys sentiment. But when Trump said there were “fine people on both sides”, the left wasted no time to group them all together with the antisemites, who, by the look of them, weren’t too fond of black people either.

You are Trump, defending the frat members. The ones that are not antisemites, while the rest of us are grouping them all together like the left did when Trump made his statement. Perhaps we are all a little bit hypocritical. THAT was my point.

And I understand the history of the villification of black leaders, and the reasons for not allowing anybody else to choose their leaders. But I like to hope that fair thinking people dont let that blind them to the fact that this particular “leader” IS a really bad guy. And I’m not even expecting black people to call him out, but just at the very least, not honor him.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:38 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Maybe the next time a thread is started about an anti-black episode of racism, I'll say "so.....you deal with it. I'm not black." And then effectively shrug it off.

Which is what you did upthread.
If the educated upper tier of the black community as represented by desertdetroiter and the black fraternities see Angela Davis as a hero and Farrakhan as worthy of being honored, then I'm kind of feeling the same way. The cultural gap is far larger than I thought. That's sad but it is what it is.

Where I grew up, most people were either Catholic or Jewish. I didn't even know there was such a thing as anti-semitism until I was in college and I heard some offhand anti-semitic comment. It both startled and shocked me because I never knew there was such a thing in this country. That it is currently on the rise on the left is very troubling to this non-Jew.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
(Not that they would) They won't have to back down because universities won't go after them because it would quite possibly go badly for their cash cows of mens basketball and football.

AFter what happened to U of Missouri, you can bet that they're scared sh*tless about messing with a black frat and having it blow up in their faces.
They shouldn’t be. If black frats misbehave on campus without any modification, their asses should be tossed off the campus and no longer be allowed to affiliate with the university.

Universities should not put up with any tomfoolery from black frats or any other frat.

Old 02-04-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Who is protesting against the Omegas?

Old 02-04-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
If the educated upper tier of the black community as represented by desertdetroiter and the black fraternities see Angela Davis as a hero and Farrakhan as worthy of being honored, then I'm kind of feeling the same way. The cultural gap is far larger than I thought. That's sad but it is what it is.

Where I grew up, most people were either Catholic or Jewish. I didn't even know there was such a thing as anti-semitism until I was in college and I heard some offhand anti-semitic comment. It both startled and shocked me because I never knew there was such a thing in this country. That it is currently on the rise on the left is very troubling to this non-Jew.
What exactly is wrong with Angela Davis? Please tell me.

I mean, you’re sitting here discussing African Americans with a non African American as if blacks are a part of your experiment...animals in your lab. As if we don’t have our own ideas about who we are and lack the ability to discern what is or isn’t good for us. The condescension is just dripping from your post.

And as to your comment about the left, that’s laughable. You guys on the right have been ripping Europe for the last few years about how it’s unsafe for Jews, yet you get egg on your faces when a mass murder of Jews happens right HERE in an American synagogue. Why should you guys be taken seriously on this topic?

The only reasons the right embraces the faux outrage on anti semitism is:

1. The right hates Muslims and by extension the Palestinians.
2. Support for Israel is synonymous with supporting Jews (it shouldn’t be).
3. Selfish religious reasons.
4. Hopes for siphoning off the Jewish vote from the left.

In other words, the right isn’t an honest or altruistic broker on this issue.

It’s hilarious, because on the thread about the Holocaust, which poster not only implicated the United States for doing nothing to stop it, but also said that the United States and all the nations of the Americas should’ve taken in EVERY SINGLE European Jew?

Oh yeah...ME!

Last edited by desertdetroiter; 02-04-2019 at 07:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies