Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 08:18 AM

1,279 posts, read 851,575 times

Advertisements

Who's at fault here: everyone, nobody or one side?

Persons A/B:

At my gym, two people come in and work out on elliptical machines together: they stand on the elliptical machines and move them, slowly, for 20 minutes. While they are on the elliptical machines, they discuss their political views very loudly: they wear T-shirts with the name of their political party on them, and they very loudly refer to members of the other main party in a disparaging way (think "Nazis" or "Communists"). The whole gym can hear them.

Person C:

This guy wears a T-shirt from a Senator's political campaign, with the senator's name on it. I commented on it one day and he mentioned that he wears it just so Persons A/B will be quiet. I watched him, and when Persons A/B began yelling one day about how much they despise members of the other political party, he walked over to them and got on the elliptical machine next to them. Persons A/B saw the shirt, definitely noticed it and stormed off.

Person D:

He wears a T-shirt from a Presidential campaign over 10 years ago. I asked him about it and he said that it's a T-shirt, and he needs gym clothes, so he wears it. He did not comment about politics.

Are they all nuts? Or are Persons A/B obnoxious and Person C petty? Or is this an American gym in 2019?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 08:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
what shirt does person C wear that shuts up persons A & B? i think i like that guy.

as far as who is obnoxious, generally ill say nobody. i dont care what other people do as long as it doesnt interfere with what i do.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what shirt does person C wear that shuts up persons A & B?

It's a T-shirt for someone who ran for Senate and ran for President as well and has made a lot of money outside of public office. I won't give the person's win/loss results since that would give the person's identity away.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:56 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
The shirts might not have any other meaning than that the people got them free for volunteering or whatever, and they seem like good enough shirts to wear to get sweaty in the gym.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:23 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
I don't think politics have anything to do with it. Wearing a political shirt shouldn't be an issue. If its a shirt that upsets you I would suggest learning how to not care.

The people talking loudly on the ellipticals should quiet down. It's rude to carry on loud conversations. But there is a simple fix, turn up your music. If you don't listen to music while working out maybe its time to start.

I have strong political feelings but I am not going to the gym to talk politics. I just want to work out. So if it they were at my gym I would find something else to do on the other side of the gym.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:30 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,175,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Who's at fault here: everyone, nobody or one side?

Persons A/B:

At my gym, two people come in and work out on elliptical machines together: they stand on the elliptical machines and move them, slowly, for 20 minutes. While they are on the elliptical machines, they discuss their political views very loudly: they wear T-shirts with the name of their political party on them, and they very loudly refer to members of the other main party in a disparaging way (think "Nazis" or "Communists"). The whole gym can hear them.

Person C:

This guy wears a T-shirt from a Senator's political campaign, with the senator's name on it. I commented on it one day and he mentioned that he wears it just so Persons A/B will be quiet. I watched him, and when Persons A/B began yelling one day about how much they despise members of the other political party, he walked over to them and got on the elliptical machine next to them. Persons A/B saw the shirt, definitely noticed it and stormed off.

Person D:

He wears a T-shirt from a Presidential campaign over 10 years ago. I asked him about it and he said that it's a T-shirt, and he needs gym clothes, so he wears it. He did not comment about politics.

Are they all nuts? Or are Persons A/B obnoxious and Person C petty? Or is this an American gym in 2019?
As far as I’m concerned, bringing up your political beliefs is the same as discussing your religious beliefs with people that you are not close friends with, is not a good idea, IMO.

Unfortunately many people are huge and obvious cheerleaders for their own beliefs and either like to find others that agree with them to support their position or to inflict their beliefs on others.

I don’t need justification or support for what I believe in😎

Old 01-21-2019, 09:32 AM

Thanks. Person D seems fine, although we clearly don't have the same political views.

Persons A and B should shut up, but the gym is loud no matter what; however, you'd think that at least they wouldn't be loud about their political views, since that could alienate people even more than just typical loud conversation.

I'd think that Person C would just be an adult and tell Persons A and B to be quiet.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:56 AM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
They can wear what ever shirts they want a ND should be free to discuss politics. However, if they are being loud enough to disturb others management should be asked to tell them to lower their voices. A good gym will not put up with one or two people disturbing the rest of their members.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:33 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
This was common in a previous gym of mine. Lots of loud, older/white males who got their jollies from spreading their (typically very, very narrow) views onto anyone/everyone who would listen. My particular gym (Powerhouse) had probably 20 different TVs that you could connect to while doing cardio, plus another 8 within the gym floor that you could gaze up to while lifting. I'd say that 75% of them were turned to FauxNews, none were on CNN, CNBC, MSNBC.....I think they turned one token one to NBC just to quiet people down. Oh and there were two TVs in the men's locker room that were also turned to FauxNews 24/7, as well as one giant room dedicated to cardio that was also FauxNews (the other was ESPN).

I have since quit this gym but this is one of the very reasons why I decided to buy the larger, over the ear wireless headphones for working out. I don't want to hear that nonsense from anyone and particularly not when I'm in the gym working out.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
It's a T-shirt for someone who ran for Senate and ran for President as well and has made a lot of money outside of public office. I won't give the person's win/loss results since that would give the person's identity away.
is the person in the witness protection program or something? im not sure why you arent revealing the person's identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies