Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were you impressed by the State of the Union Address?
YES 158 63.97%
NO 89 36.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 02:22 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,289,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
He could have ten walls for all I care. As long as I don't have to pay for them.
Oh but you will and you do. Just like I have to pay some else's laziness (welfare) or health care.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:25 PM

25,460 posts, read 9,825,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Oh but you will and you do. Just like I have to pay some else's laziness (welfare) or health care.
Haven't had to pay for one yet. However, I have no problem with paying for better border security. I also don't mind paying into a system that helps others who need it. Never have. Not crazy about the ones who bilk the system, but that's just the way it is.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:49 PM

29,552 posts, read 9,742,721 times
I tried to review the comments in this thread from the beginning this morning, but I don't have the kind of time to read all of them. I tried to read enough comments to see if anyone felt the same way I did after listening to Trump's SOTU and as far as I know, no one?

Maybe lots of people commenting in this thread are new to listening to these speeches, but they're all pretty much the same thing that includes all a POTUS can say to appear he and his administration is the best ever. Lots of the usual propaganda as expected and whatever works to get as many in the audience to their feet. The 10-year-old girl fighting cancer was about the best example of that heart-tugging tactic I've seen yet. As usual, I was feeling more than a little manipulated. I'm tempted not to watch another one, but I guess there is some redeeming value about paying attention, if it's possible to get past the obvious effort to paint nothing but a rosy picture. The state of our union is always "strong," but how much of that is thanks to the POTUS saying so?

I also read lots of comments reflecting why people in the audience are applauding or not, standing or not, and more often than not the interpretation of what people are seeing along these lines is daffy! People aren't standing to applaud Trump because they are not happy about whatever good thing Trump is going on about, or because they are FOR whatever bad thing Trump is going on about! You have to be pretty dull to think some of these things!

Those onto Trump's game are simply expressing their unwillingness to give Trump credit for all Trump shamelessly continues to crow about and unjustifiably give himself credit for. People are not applauding or standing because they are unwilling to honor Trump's version of most all things that Trump is forever misrepresenting, mischaracterizing. You can't one day be against how Trump rules and all he represents (and misrepresents) then stand up and applaud when Trump does more of the same thing!

I could go on with some additional specifics that might help make what I'm explaining here a little more clear, but I suspect anyone commenting in this thread who have seen many of these SOTU addresses before knows mostly what I'm talking about. Also for those of us who have been paying close attention to how Trump gets his support from his base while losing more and more popularity with the rest of us, I think Trump's speech was yet another "home run" for his supporters and another foul ball for those better able to see the foul lines.

Amazing how that truth always seems to hold no matter the POTUS. Don't you think?

Old 02-07-2019, 03:56 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,439,780 times
What I don't understand is how Trump can claim the State of the Union.under him is Strong...while also saying that continuing the investigations will have consequences on the country....He s been investigated from day 1. If he s so successful EVEN being investigated...why should he care if it continues???

Old 02-07-2019, 04:02 PM

25,798 posts, read 12,859,717 times
LearnMe said: "Also for those of us who have been paying close attention to how Trump gets his support from his base while losing more and more popularity with the rest of us, I think Trump's speech was yet another "home run" for his supporters and another foul ball for those better able to see the foul lines."

Trumps approval rating has increased to 49% since the SOU Speach:

Daily Presidential Tracking Poll - Rasmussen Reports®

Trump won 46.1% of popular vote, so approval rating of 49% indicates that he may winning over new supporters and growing his base.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:02 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,601,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Oh come on....Pelosi likes illegal aliens...I think she has some working in her San Francisco Goat Hill Pizza restaurant. It is rumored that since it is registered in Panama it may be a money laundering business. I mean who registers a San Francisco pizza joint in Panama? Oh right... possibly Botox Nancy.
I wonder how closely they are related to the illegals that worked for Trump for years. And years. And years?

Old 02-07-2019, 04:13 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,289,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I wonder how closely they are related to the illegals that worked for Trump for years. And years. And years?
The ones that Trump personally interviewed, hired and processed their HR paperwork? What do you think they said when Trump personally asked them "are you eligible for employment in the US" during the interview?

Old 02-07-2019, 04:27 PM

46,317 posts, read 27,139,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post

Trump hires every single person that works for him?

Old 02-07-2019, 04:46 PM

20,153 posts, read 9,043,504 times
he's doing interviews for the midnight cleaning crew on Tuesday.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:16 PM

63,001 posts, read 29,187,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
he's doing interviews for the midnight cleaning crew on Tuesday.

Rich business people don't interview or hire manual laborers themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies