Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 11:44 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,669,238 times

Advertisements

By the tone of the article, LE was a trained officer in the employ of the city....otherwise, wouldn't it say "off duty" or something like that? The Police Department is the entity defending him...

As far as the dead carry guy, he just adds to the known statistics.

"Guns can kill you in three ways: homicide, suicide, and by accident. Owning a gun or having one readily accessible makes all three more likely."

This one fits the "accident" scenario. What else is new? Facts are facts. Here in Florida it's known that riding a bike is a death wish. Checked the paper this morning...and, yep, another one mowed down by a car. One earlier this week also.

Statistics have a way of.....being true. In order to be true, they must come true... otherwise they would NOT be statistics.

Famous philosophers of history have noted that people think "why me?" , when perhaps they should think "why NOT me?". It's actually more accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 09:05 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,857,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/05/us/al...ges/index.html

Basically there was a shooting at Birmingham mall and the guy was assisting other patrons get out safely by utilizing his own gun which he was permitted to carry. Security assumed he was the shooter and promptly took him out without question. Seems about right.
Why did he need to utilize his gun to help people out?

Old 02-07-2019, 06:07 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,053,611 times
They weren't security, they were the police. I think they should be charged with something even if he did contribute to his own death.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:50 AM

19,835 posts, read 12,094,775 times
Link to the original 17 page thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...n-alabama.html

Old 02-07-2019, 06:59 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
The whole situation was unfortunate. People were running and it’s likely that he didn’t hear anyone calling out to him. It appears he was trying to help others and defend if necessary. Really sad.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:05 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
By the tone of the article, LE was a trained officer in the employ of the city....otherwise, wouldn't it say "off duty" or something like that? The Police Department is the entity defending him...

As far as the dead carry guy, he just adds to the known statistics.

"Guns can kill you in three ways: homicide, suicide, and by accident. Owning a gun or having one readily accessible makes all three more likely."

This one fits the "accident" scenario. What else is new? Facts are facts. Here in Florida it's known that riding a bike is a death wish. Checked the paper this morning...and, yep, another one mowed down by a car. One earlier this week also.

Statistics have a way of.....being true. In order to be true, they must come true... otherwise they would NOT be statistics.

Famous philosophers of history have noted that people think "why me?" , when perhaps they should think "why NOT me?". It's actually more accurate.
Owning a gun is hardly the cause of the most dangers the average person will face every day. Cars, your food, criminals are.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:12 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,577,728 times
^^^Medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US - stay away from doctors and hospitals.

Waving a gun in a mall might be #1, though

Old 02-07-2019, 08:14 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
^^^Medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US - stay away from doctors and hospitals.

Waving a gun in a mall might be #1, though

Ya, I'd put that up there with running across a busy freeway.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:12 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
This story received a lot of media attention when it first happened, and is back in the news again because the cop will not be charged after a state investigation.

I am the first person to question "questionable" shootings, but this case is hard to judge without all of the facts and circumstances (I admit that I have not seen the video).

First of all, the cop is in the middle of a chaotic, crowded mall with people running all over the place after shots have been fired and he sees a guy running around with a gun. At that point you have a potential active shooter situation and a lot of other lives potentially at stake. It would not be easy for the cop to calmly ask for a permit in a scenario like that, and with that many people around the cop may have yelled for the victim to stop but nobody would be likely to hear him. From what I have read, it seems the cop was in the middle of a chaotic situation, with a large crowd, and an active shooter. He shot a potential shooter who was in the middle of the crowd running with a gun. That seems like instinct to prevent a lot of potential fatalities.

It is a very sad situation, and a shame the young man lost his life. But in that scenario, I don't think you can judge the cop for doing something malicious. If any one of us were in the middle of a large, chaotic crowd after shots were fired and we pulled out a gun (even with good intentions), it would be a risky move and we would risk getting shot if there were police officers present. I don't think race played a role in this.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:10 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This story received a lot of media attention when it first happened, and is back in the news again because the cop will not be charged after a state investigation.

I am the first person to question "questionable" shootings, but this case is hard to judge without all of the facts and circumstances (I admit that I have not seen the video).

First of all, the cop is in the middle of a chaotic, crowded mall with people running all over the place after shots have been fired and he sees a guy running around with a gun. At that point you have a potential active shooter situation and a lot of other lives potentially at stake. It would not be easy for the cop to calmly ask for a permit in a scenario like that, and with that many people around the cop may have yelled for the victim to stop but nobody would be likely to hear him. From what I have read, it seems the cop was in the middle of a chaotic situation, with a large crowd, and an active shooter. He shot a potential shooter who was in the middle of the crowd running with a gun. That seems like instinct to prevent a lot of potential fatalities.

It is a very sad situation, and a shame the young man lost his life. But in that scenario, I don't think you can judge the cop for doing something malicious. If any one of us were in the middle of a large, chaotic crowd after shots were fired and we pulled out a gun (even with good intentions), it would be a risky move and we would risk getting shot if there were police officers present. I don't think race played a role in this.
It doesn’t seem so either. It is no fault of the soldier and God bless him for trying to help others. Can’t fault the officer either though because he was doing his best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies