Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 09:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
What was called slavery in the bible in no way resembles the colonial slavery of the 1800s.

In biblical times, If a man couldn't pay his bills, he was taken care of by a master in exchange for doing work. It was much the same as having a job to feed your family and calling it slavery. In colonial slavery, people were taken from their country and forced to work against their will.

But let's try to stand on track with the OP.
Does it matter if slavery in the Bible resembles slavery of the 1800's? If slavery is moral in the Bible, then slavery is moral today, per your statement that morality is unchanging.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:57 AM

8,384 posts, read 4,369,703 times
A lot of crap gets posted on CD and the best part is … you can ignore it.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:59 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Keep praying. So many still trying to bring Trump down. Never saw so many against a president but then he is trying to drain the swamp.
The only draining happening is the swamp that he hired. How many of his very best people have left his administration now?

Old 02-14-2019, 10:06 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
I reckon if he can pray for who wins the presidency and it comes true then he could pray for no more unwanted pregnancies so that the abortion problem is fixed. Seems easy enough.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:08 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,710,487 times
How my powerful prayers defeated Hillary in '16. An absolute miracle!

OP, God is not actively involved in arranging the world of human affairs.

We can either base our lives on what some Bronze Age goat herders thought of the world or, we can base our lives on what we know in the 21st century. Doesn't seem like a hard decision.

Unless of course, you choose to cling to some ancient myth.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 02-14-2019 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: punctuation clarification

Old 02-14-2019, 10:11 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Right after 0bummer won re-election, I was despondent. I had prayed sporadically, but wasn't living my best life. Then when the result happened, I decided to clean things up a bit, and become fervent in my prayers. So I said the Rosary every single day for the next four years, without exception. Every day. Took me 20-30 minutes a day. I offered the Rosary as prayer as I requested various things; protection for my family, well-being for friends and those who were sick, for the souls of loved ones. But I always ended by praying for the country, specifically for the 2016 election, that Hillary would lose.

I was FERVENT in my prayers. "Please, God. PLEASE spare the country. PLEASE don't allow the Supreme Court to go nutty left. Please help the unborn, God. Please. You can't possibly allow that evil woman to win. All the hatred and lies and criminal activity by her CANNOT be rewarded, God. PLEASE!!!!"

So all during 2015 and 2016, the media had Trump in trouble. Couldn't win the nomination. About to quit. This new scandal will be the one that does him in. On and on it went. They had him with a 90% chance to lose. Even the day before the election, they had him ten points down. No chance of winning. The exit polls, according to the early evening telecasts, had a huge Hillary win.

Still I kept on praying.

Then the tide suddenly turned. The most unlikely thing happened. From the ashes, Trump emerged the victor. Prayer worked. Fervent strong prayer every single day.

That episode confirmed for me the power of prayer and existence of God for me. God listened and answered. And I suspect a lot more than me were praying just as hard.
I'm so sorry. I didn't know it was this bad. Please get some help.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:20 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
God wants outcomes, but He also allows for free will.
He allows you to make a complete fool of yourself on this thread, for example.

I once knew a woman who prayed that the local burger joint would go out of business because of some imagined affront that she thought she endured when she ate there once. It actually did -- because the food was awful -- and a few workers lost their jobs and the building stood vacant as an eyesore in the neighborhood. She paraded around taking credit when everyone knew she was nuts. Then she moved onto praying against the next burger joint but it is still open and she is long gone.

I've noticed that these crackpots always have their bible cocked and loaded and always pray against something in a negative way. This woman could have prayed that the burger joint improved their service and the quality of their food and that the employees would be blessed and the business would be better for it and the community would be bettered by having a thriving small business. God must get tired of hearing hateful prayers.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I do know. Through the common sense teaching of my Catholic Church. Every moral law they speak about when you think about it, makes sense. God doesn't like little babies being killed.
And yet there are hundreds of verses where your God either commands the killing of babies or blesses those that do so.

In fact your God killed all of the first born in Egypt. For a God that doesn't like babies being killed he has a strange way of showing it.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:36 AM

How about a test of the OPs powerful prayers?

Find an amputee and pray that his/her limb grows back. Be sure to take video of before, during and after the miracle occurs.
Prove all of the doubter wrong OP.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:27 AM

958 posts, read 304,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Does it matter if slavery in the Bible resembles slavery of the 1800's? If slavery is moral in the Bible, then slavery is moral today, per your statement that morality is unchanging.
Once again, it's not the same thing. I thought I just explained why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies