Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 04:10 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,206,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain
+1! Twain had some great quotes.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:35 PM

958 posts, read 305,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I won't answer for 2 reasons:

1) I have to be careful that I am not answering the questions of the odious and malodorous NJMann. Not saying that you are him, but just in case. Guilt by association, you know.

2) The question itself is incoherent. Churches do not have beliefs. Their members do, but individually, and they are non-uniform. For example, 51% of all Catholics believe abortion should be legal in all or most cases (Pew Research 2018). Therefore, in any given Catholic church, you will have some of the membership believing in legal abortion, and some of the membership not believing in legal abortion.

And, just in case you are the odious and malodorous NJMann, I will add the following, but only if you are him: And no, you, NJMann, do not get to define what a Catholic is.

I add this of course, to short-circuit the mini-brained predicted response of the odious and malodorous NJMann, were he to be here, to the effect that "no true Catholic believes in abortion". Let's just kill that roach before it scurries away.
OK, so you claim to be Catholic. And yes, to be a practicing Catholic, you can't pick and choose which parts of the Catholic tenets you like. It's not a buffet. You may NOT choose to believe abortion is OK to be a Catholic in good standing. But to believe prayer is meaningless and ineffective? I mean, why bother calling yourself a Catholic, Christian, or even religious?

Last edited by Cheesemont; 02-17-2019 at 05:50 PM..

Old 02-17-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I sure hope you are not proclaiming to be a Christian. You sure as hell don't speak like one, no sir not you.
In what way do I not speak like a Christian? I've been pretty restrained, considering the nasty stuff said to me.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:45 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,513,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
In what way do I not speak like a Christian? I've been pretty restrained, considering the nasty stuff said to me.
Haaar! Now you're just fun'n with us aint ya. Bless your little heart.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
What church do you belong to that supports trolling for partisan politics?

You're not religious.
If I were a leftwinger, I wouldn't be religious, because you cannot be a practicing Christian and certainly not a practicing Catholic if you support the Marxist agenda.

Old 02-17-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Obama even got attacked for once wearing a tan suit and was falsely accused of being born in Kenya (and Trump kept this lie going even after it was proven false). He faced more accountability and also more silly nonsense (listed above) than Trump and Bush combined. Nothing could really be more obvious to anyone paying even slight attention then.

As to the OP, I am a Christian that did not vote for Trump, but believe Trump would have won even without your prayers. I think it is egocentric to believe your prayers about the USA political scene are superior to the wishes, prayers and efforts of millions of other Americans. Please get perspective. It is OK to be glad your candidate won, but to claim credit based solely on your prayers is a serious delusion.

What if you say several prayers that he wins in 2020 and he loses. OP, do you then blame God? I certainly hope not.
Really, my prayer was that Hillary lose. Anybody who prayed she would win didn't understand who and what she was. But the fact is, very few of her supporters pray at all. Leftwingers aren't the prayin' kind.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:05 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,057,416 times
Quote:
OK, so you claim to be Catholic. And yes, to be a practicing Catholic, you can't pick and choose which parts of the Catholic tenets you like. It's not a buffet. You may NOT choose to believe abortion is OK to be a Catholic in good standing. But to believe prayer is meaningless and ineffective? I mean, why bother calling yourself a Catholic, Christian, or even religious?
Amazing, I predict NJMann's response and he goes right for it verbatim like a robot.

Nonetheless, many good, practicing Catholics believe abortion should be legal, and that's an immutable fact of reality. It doesn't matter what you say, it doesn't matter what you think. That is what 51% of Catholics think, and they get that message from God and don't care what you have to say on the matter.

I happen to know one girl from college who had an unwanted pregnancy and she told me Jesus appeared to her and told her that having abortion was right for her and to proceed against the wishes of her abusive mother. She had that abortion, which was correct for her at the time, and has never looked back and has no regrets.

As far as prayer, you absolutely can believe in God and not believe in prayer. We were given free will, and that means choosing to see reality as reality. And in reality, prayer is useful for personal peace and meditative repose, but has NO EFFECT on reality. You praying for something makes it neither more likely, nor less likely, to happen. That's just a fact of reality.

So pray for your soul to go where you want it to go after you die. It probably has no effect there either. But it definitely has no effect here.

And praying for an election result is honestly flipping God the finger. So good luck with that in the hereafter.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Nonetheless, many good, practicing Catholics believe abortion should be legal, and that's an immutable fact of reality.
If they believe abortion is acceptable, they are NOT practicing Catholics. If you disagree with the core teaching of the faith, you are not a member in good standing of that faith. This is perfectly logical. I don't know why it's so hard to understand.

If you call yourself an Eagles fan, but you hate the Eagles, are you really an Eagles fan?

Old 02-17-2019, 06:29 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,513,617 times
Quote:
If they believe abortion is acceptable, they are NOT practicing Catholics. If you disagree with the core teaching of the faith, you are not a member in good standing of that faith. This is perfectly logical. I don't know why it's so hard to understand.

If you call yourself an Eagles fan, but you hate the Eagles, are you really an Eagles fan?
Better learn to swim NJM, you're way out there and floundering now. That last was feeble indeed.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Amazing, I predict NJMann's response and he goes right for it verbatim like a robot.

Nonetheless, many good, practicing Catholics believe abortion should be legal, and that's an immutable fact of reality. It doesn't matter what you say, it doesn't matter what you think. That is what 51% of Catholics think, and they get that message from God and don't care what you have to say on the matter.

I happen to know one girl from college who had an unwanted pregnancy and she told me Jesus appeared to her and told her that having abortion was right for her and to proceed against the wishes of her abusive mother. She had that abortion, which was correct for her at the time, and has never looked back and has no regrets.

As far as prayer, you absolutely can believe in God and not believe in prayer. We were given free will, and that means choosing to see reality as reality. And in reality, prayer is useful for personal peace and meditative repose, but has NO EFFECT on reality. You praying for something makes it neither more likely, nor less likely, to happen. That's just a fact of reality.

So pray for your soul to go where you want it to go after you die. It probably has no effect there either. But it definitely has no effect here.

And praying for an election result is honestly flipping God the finger. So good luck with that in the hereafter.
Northern Virginia is full of "Catholics" who think as you do. They go to Mass when they feel like it. Or maybe not. They don't really participate in the service, and they leave right after Communion. They don't share the Church's teaching on abortion, birth control, or sex outside marriage. They think the sacrament of reconciliation is silly and pointless. They don't pray the rosary. They don't do Stations of the Cross. They don't fast for Lent or Good Friday. They think Pope Francis is the only decent pope the church has ever had. They buy the social justice and climate change bilge all day every day. And they vote Democrat. Their 'faith' is so weakened and watered down as to be no faith at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies