Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2019, 09:47 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The whole point of this thread was to discuss the stark disconnect in terms of how the Confederate flag is viewed. It turned into a fight instead.
Your point is meaningless drivel. It's just another weak attempt to portray America as racist and that's a reason why blacks can't make it. Poor, poor blacks.

It's a flag. Big deal.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:51 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
If the Southern States said they were freeing the slaves on Monday and leaving the Union on Tuesday, Lincoln still would have said no.
If I could crap gold bars I'd be a billionaire. Doesn't really matter cause that ain't what happened.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:59 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I understand why people are offended by the flag, it was carried into battle in a war over states rights and slavery. But I also understand the people who see the flag as a representation of southern pride, and do not see it as the symbol of slavery. The vernacular and meanings of words, phrases and symbols change over time. It wasn't too long ago when the word "gay" had an entirely different meaning.

Don't get me wrong, the racists see the flag in a different light than other Southerners. Just as the "OK" hand gesture means okay for most people, the racists see it as something else. Are we going to allow the angry, bigoted minority to decide the meanings behind everything, is that how spineless and cowardly we have become?

Just follow this LINK to some black Southerners who see the flag as a symbol of pride. But what the hell, the PC crowd have decided to give the racists and bigots the deciding vote on what the meanings of life are.
This is why it is hard for me to understand why. The Confederate flag represents the Confederacy and the ideals that it stands for. Those ideals are indeed related to the preservation of slavery. Articles of Secession says so, and so does the Confederate Constitution.

This is what baffles me. Given what the Confederate cause is about, why pick the Confederate flag as a symbol of southern heritage?
\
And something else. it isn't an angry, bigoted minority deciding what it means. How it is being seen is based on the ideals of the Confederate cause itself. And yes, there are a few Black people who will fly the Confederate flag. Very few. Most Blacks, the vast majority in fact, do not fly the Confederate flag, nor do they identify with it. And this should be considered ironic given that the majority of African-Americans have Southern roots and/or live in the South. That is why I said "don't bring up the token Black guy flying the Confederate flag". Blacks have been critical of things commemorating Confederates for a long time. "PC" has nothing to do with it.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:00 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
If I could crap gold bars I'd be a billionaire. Doesn't really matter cause that ain't what happened.
sigh....Think much? It wasn't about slavery.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
At the end of the day, it's a flag.
And a flag represents something. This thread is a discussion about why there is such a large disconnect in terms of how its viewed, and why race place such a big role.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:01 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,834,440 times
Quote:
sigh....Think much? It wasn't about slavery.
And your proof is what, an imaginary scenario you pulled out of your rear? Who needs revisionist history when you can just have imaginary history!

Old 02-13-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
If the Southern States said they were freeing the slaves on Monday and leaving the Union on Tuesday, Lincoln still would have said no.
It doesn't matter. What Lincoln had to say didn't matter to southern planters. Lincoln proposed reimbursing slave owners. Southern planters said no. The Articles of Secession and Confederate Constitution are far more telling than what Lincoln had to say.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Your point is meaningless drivel. It's just another weak attempt to portray America as racist and that's a reason why blacks can't make it. Poor, poor blacks.

It's a flag. Big deal.
Well, if you think my point is so meaningless, then you shouldn't post on this thread. If all you can offer is gaslighting, you should leave and not post on this thread anymore. You're just wasting time.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:14 AM

724 posts, read 503,678 times
I hope this won't be straying too far into off topic territory , but since the thread title mentions non heritage related reasons for displaying the Confederate flag I'm gonna jot a few down :

1. Some people happen to simply like the look of the flag which is why they display it .

2 . Others think it looks rebellious ( it being the " rebel " flag and all ) which is why they display it .

3 . A third group displays it as a way of showing their anti federal government views .

4 . There is also the shock jock factor , same as old school punk rockers ( like Siouxsie Sioux ) who wore swastikas to make people mad .

5 . And last but not least their is the factor of being a member of what I call a " bad ass white boy " subculture ...

To clarify what I mean , many old school bikers , metalheads , motocross enthusiasts , etc. , display symbols considered to be white supremacist as a way of showcasing their in your face masculinity . It's pretty much the same sort of motivation that causes a ( f.ex ) Chicano lowrider to get an Aztec warrior tattoo on his shoulder or an inner city street corner black guy to wear a Black Panther T shirt .

Such symbolism has little to do with politics or even actual and/or consistent racial prejudice and everything to do with old school masculinity . To put this point into perspective , plenty of nonwhite males who are members of a " badass white boy " subculture wear this symbolism on their sleeve as well .

To go anecdotal I had a Native American acquaintance back in the day that I used to see at concerts in Philly who had several Confederate flag patches stitched to his jacket , not to mention the prominent Confederate flag draped bald eagle tattoo on his arm . And to go further most of the people I've seen so far with swastikas and other Nazi paraphernalia on their person at metal concerts were Hispanic as opposed to White , which goes to show that displaying White Supremacist symbols definitely does not equate to being an actual White Supremacist .

Anyways I hope this added to the discussion .

Old 02-13-2019, 10:16 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Hypothetical and that would have never happened...why do you think they resisted so much to begin with? And the reimposition of Black Codes and Jim Crow pretty much confirms that white Southerners were intent on continuing to subjugate Black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies