Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 10:52 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times

Advertisements

Wow. This thread is still active! Spoke to a man yesterday who is an avid Civil War artifacts collector. One of his ancestors lived in Rhode Island and was a Union soldier. This man has has his diaries and other memorabilia, and in one of the diary's entries his ancestor stated that was fighting the war not for the freedom of the black slaves, but to prevent the South from seceding.

The Civil War was not about slavery, but just keeping the young country of the United States whole and intact. And the Confederate Flag is just part of that history.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:32 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
This black woman is proud of Confederate flag
"She's on a mission to get African-Americans represented in the Confederate Museum in Columbia, South Carolina."
Still at it with your gaslighting?

Old 03-23-2019, 11:40 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
When I moved to Florida from up North, it horrified me to see that symbol on their State Flag. Then I did some research. It is a symbol of the Southern Cross which is a stellar configuration in the skies used by navigators for hundreds of years. The original meaning is benign and very useful. I suppose it is unfortunate that the Confederacy usurped this image for their own purposes. Before the Civil War, this would certainly be an appropriate symbol for Southern states, especially those not landlocked.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Perhaps some people watched "Gone with the Wind" one too many times. The Confederate flag is not a legitimate flag any longer. It's from a bygone era. It represents an ugly era of history when states wanted to secede from the rest of the USA so they could retain a system of enslaving other human beings.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:00 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
This black woman is proud of Confederate flag
"She's on a mission to get African-Americans represented in the Confederate Museum in Columbia, South Carolina."
Again, that Black woman is. The majority of Blacks are not. Admit it instead of trying to deflect from it.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:09 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,329,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Several events over the last view years have put the Confederate flag in the national spotlight. It is a controversial symbol and for good reason. I grew up in Georgia and kept hearing the same thing "it represents southern heritage" or "it's about my southern pride". I ask my mother and her response was "I'm southern but it's not my pride". I'll save how I feel about the Confederate flag for later in the thread.

Living in the South, there is one segment of the population that never says that it represents "southern pride" or "southern heritage". That is the Black population. 55 percent of American's Black population lives in the South. Most Blacks regardless of what state they're born in have ancestors from the southern USA (see The Great Migration). By default, the majority of America's Black population are southerners or have southern heritage. However, a majority of Blacks do not claim the Confederate flag as part of their heritage. I can testify to this living in Georgia.

Outside of the "Blacks are brainwashed by the leftists" gaslighting line, I notice very few people can or will answer this question: Why aren't Blacks embracing the Confederate flag as part of their "southern heritage"? This is an important question to ask because. There is a major contrast between how many Whites view the Confederate flag vs how Blacks view the Confederate flag. And there are legitimate reasons for this. However, I'm noticing that said question is not being asked.

By the way, if the only thing anyone has to offer is "Blacks are brainwashed by the left" or some photo of a token Black person brandishing a Confederate flag, this is not the thread for you. I've seen that tactic so many times it's like a broken record. Gaslighting at its finest.

The confederate flag was the flag of slave owners and the KKK. Why should blacks embrace the confederate flag?

Old 03-23-2019, 02:44 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Back in the 50's my high school waved the Confederate flag and sang Dixie at football pep rallies. And the team was know as the Rebels.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:50 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Again, that Black woman is. The majority of Blacks are not. Admit it instead of trying to deflect from it.
She seems to be saying it depends on who is holding the flag?

Quote:
SOUNDBITE OF TV SHOW, "UNITED SHADES OF AMERICA")

ARLENE: This Confederate flag in my black hand don't represent the same as in a Klansman hand. It represent two totally different things.

BELL: Well, that's good. Let's start there. So when the Confederate flag is in the hand of a Klansman, what does it represent then?

ARLENE: White supremacy.

BELL: So - OK. So what does the Confederate flag mean in your hands?

ARLENE: The South.

BELL: We both know that that symbol causes a lot of people pain who live in the South. ...
In The Third Season Of 'United Shades Of America,' W. Kamau Bell Goes Home To Alabama

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/29/60693...home-to-Alabam

Old 03-23-2019, 03:10 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
The confederate flag was the flag of slave owners and the KKK. Why should blacks embrace the confederate flag?
The basic answer is the majority of black people don't.

The contextual answer is there are groups of people who prefer to continue to erase the uncomfortable historical circumstances they prefer to deny, significantly "white supremacy in the South":

Quote:
...Mayor Mitch Landrieu has called the Battle of Liberty Place monument the "most offensive" of the four up for removal. Erected in 1891, it commemorates the Crescent City White League-attempt to overthrow the city's Reconstructionist government after the Civil War. Its inscription hailed "white supremacy in the South," but a new plaque covered the original and recognized "Americans on both sides" who lost their lives in the skirmish. ...
Removal of the first of four New Orleans Confederate monuments begins with Liberty Place

https://www.nola.com/politics/2017/0...w_orleans.html

The monument was built to 'commemorare the uprising' of 1874. In 1891, the city erected the Battle of Liberty Place Monument to commemorate & praise the insurrection from the Democratic Party point of view, which at the time was in firm political control of the city and state & was in the process of disenfranchising most blacks. The white marble obelisk was placed at a prominent location on Canal Street. In 1932, the city added an inscription that expressed a white supremacist view.

Quote:
The following inscription was added in 1932:

Quote:
"[Democrats] McEnery and Penny having been elected governor and lieutenant-governor by the white people, were duly installed by this overthrow of carpetbag government, ousting the usurpers, Governor Kellogg (white) and Lieutenant-Governor Antoine (colored).

United States troops took over the state government and reinstated the usurpers but the national election of November 1876 recognized white supremacy in the South and gave us our state."
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Liberty_Place

Old 03-23-2019, 03:26 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
She seems to be saying it depends on who is holding the flag?

In The Third Season Of 'United Shades Of America,' W. Kamau Bell Goes Home To Alabama

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/29/60693...home-to-Alabam
Such a loaded question,
What does it mean if in the hands of a Klansman?

What if he asked,
What does it mean if in the hands of the working stiff that has roots in NC for 6 generations?

Give me a break!

Gotta love NPR...NOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies