Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times

Advertisements

For many years I thought of Oprah as a rather benign talk show host who seemed more upbeat than some of her fellow hosts. But I am seeing and feeling a shift in her cult of self and I find it rather frightening. She is without a doubt the most powerful and influential woman in the media and increasingly she doesn't just have fans but rather disciples. Millions of these followers hang on her every word and slavishly believe that every one of these words uttered by this woman are pearls of wisdom. If she recommends a book, it becomes a huge best- seller; if she touts a particular bra, it will be sold out all over the country; if she endorses brand of chocolate, women everywhere will be driven to find it. But recently, she has stepped out of the realm of just marketing products and into the much more frightening activity of marketing people and ideas. Her endorsement of Barack Obama drew a huge influx of people and monies to his campaign and now she is holding up the author of a new book, "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle as the new Messiah. She is very much a "New Age" proponent and urges her followers to seek their spirituality within themselves rather than in God-centered mainstream religions. Many of her gospel-like pronouncements seem to echo those of the often criticized Scientologists.

It seems very apparent to me that Oprah has become the voice of those who have no voice or core beliefs of their own. She has set herself up as the spokesperson of the unhappy and dissatisfied hoardes of her audience members (at home and in her studio) . She preaches acceptance of oneself but at the same time she has stylists on her show telling you how you can look ten years younger or have a really cool haircut. She has an ego that knows no bounds as evidenced by every issue of "O" having only a photo of herself. All of her charitable programs and other philanthropies are heralded from the rooftops - she does nothing that is just annonymous and private. But the bottom line is that her new advocacy of this Eckhart Tolle book and its author is feeling more and more like a cult which diguises itself as simply a means for individuals to discover their own true spirituality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 10:11 AM

270 posts, read 526,981 times
As for myself I can't stand Oprah.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:11 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,144 times
I don't see anything wrong with Oprah. So she has some unorthodox religious beliefs, an obvious interest in New Age spiritualism, and wants to promote them... so what? It's a free country.

I think alot of people are just jealous that a poor black girl from Missippi could rise above the odds and become an independent person, one of the richest people in the world, all by giving legions of suburbanite women a shoulder to cry on. It scares them, they want to put her in her place back in the kitchen with the mammy rag on her head.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:35 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanw View Post
As for myself I can't stand Oprah.
No wonder. A lot of her shows are on topics of no interest to men.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:38 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
I like her, she has worked extremely hard for all of her money and prestige.
I do think that in the last few years she has gotten a little full of herself, but then if I had half the accomplishments she has, I might be full of myself too

Old 04-09-2008, 12:36 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
For many years I thought of Oprah as a rather benign talk show host who seemed more upbeat than some of her fellow hosts. But I am seeing and feeling a shift in her cult of self and I find it rather frightening. She is without a doubt the most powerful and influential woman in the media and increasingly she doesn't just have fans but rather disciples. Millions of these followers hang on her every word and slavishly believe that every one of these words uttered by this woman are pearls of wisdom. If she recommends a book, it becomes a huge best- seller; if she touts a particular bra, it will be sold out all over the country; if she endorses brand of chocolate, women everywhere will be driven to find it. But recently, she has stepped out of the realm of just marketing products and into the much more frightening activity of marketing people and ideas. Her endorsement of Barack Obama drew a huge influx of people and monies to his campaign and now she is holding up the author of a new book, "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle as the new Messiah. She is very much a "New Age" proponent and urges her followers to seek their spirituality within themselves rather than in God-centered mainstream religions. Many of her gospel-like pronouncements seem to echo those of the often criticized Scientologists.

It seems very apparent to me that Oprah has become the voice of those who have no voice or core beliefs of their own. She has set herself up as the spokesperson of the unhappy and dissatisfied hoardes of her audience members (at home and in her studio) . She preaches acceptance of oneself but at the same time she has stylists on her show telling you how you can look ten years younger or have a really cool haircut. She has an ego that knows no bounds as evidenced by every issue of "O" having only a photo of herself. All of her charitable programs and other philanthropies are heralded from the rooftops - she does nothing that is just annonymous and private. But the bottom line is that her new advocacy of this Eckhart Tolle book and its author is feeling more and more like a cult which diguises itself as simply a means for individuals to discover their own true spirituality.
I agree, she appeals to those who have no core beliefs of their own...mostly soccer moms that have lost their way in life. However, I pay no more attention to Oprah than I do to daytime soap operas; they're all garbage.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:45 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times
Her followers aren't really the most threatening crowd. Unless they run you down with their mini-van. I actually do enjoy watching the beginning of the show, when all the ladies cry. That is always a good time.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:51 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Her followers aren't really the most threatening crowd. Unless they run you down with their mini-van. I actually do enjoy watching the beginning of the show, when all the ladies cry. That is always a good time.
Is that right in the beginning? That's pretty good, then you don't have to watch the entire thing.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:52 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
I do not watch her, but I certainly know who she is. I have nothing against her and its hard to argue with success. Having said that, there is something discomfiting about a talk show host having such influence over what people read.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:52 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies