Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:30 AM

24,650 posts, read 9,472,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In what may be a first in the country, New York City is banning policies and practices that penalize black people based on the texture and style of their hair, saying such actions violate their human rights and are against the law
Quote:
The New York City Commission on Human Rights announced Monday that it is issuing guidance stating that the same law that prohibits discrimination based on race, gender or religion also applies to hair--an extension, and intrinsic part, of black identity.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ys/2906013002/

This is outrageous. Are people really being offended or fired by their own hairstyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 04:37 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times
The clown show in offices and workplaces should be good now there.

I’m sure NY citizens are happy their leaders are tackling the important issues. It’s like something from a middle school student council meeting.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:43 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,292,171 times
Why are you triggered by this, OP?

It’s fair.

I have hair like the woman pictured in the article [amazing hair, I might add] ...And, while I have never faced discrimination over my hair, it is an issue in some places.

It’s an important issue to those it affects.

I’m not sure why you see a negative in this.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:43 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Someone got a wild hair up their ………………..and now this is the result.

The left says this is what winning is all about .

Old 02-19-2019, 04:51 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,237,091 times
The predictable result of unchecked liberal insanity.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:56 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Why are you triggered by this, OP?

It’s fair.

I have hair like the woman pictured in the article [amazing hair, I might add] ...And, while I have never faced discrimination over my hair, it is an issue in some places.

I’m not sure why you see a negative in this.
I don't get that, either. If there is some sort of rule dictating the length of an employee's hair (something I have never heard of for women), that's one thing, as long as it's applied to everyone. I get that some workplaces want a more conservative look - no blue hair, no hot pink hair, etc.

But - and this is an important but - why should there be an issue with natural black hair? That's like telling a white person that he or she must get a curly perm to get or keep a job. Is anyone here okay with that?

Old 02-19-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't get that, either. If there is some sort of rule dictating the length of an employee's hair (something I have never heard of for women), that's one thing, as long as it's applied to everyone. I get that some workplaces want a more conservative look - no blue hair, no hot pink hair, etc.

But - and this is an important but - why should there be an issue with natural black hair? That's like telling a white person that he or she must get a curly perm to get or keep a job. Is anyone here okay with that?
Exactly. In the past, black people (maybe more black women, even though it happens to men, too) have been told our hair in its natural state is unkempt, messy, unprofessional because it may not lay like other textures of hair.

Eh, it may not make a lot of sense or be a big deal to some, but it’s a big deal to those who face this sort of discrimination.

Having said that, I didn’t know this sort of discrimination is still prevalent, but I’m glad to see NYC taking actions to stop it.

This is not a bad thing, and this ban doesn’t negatively impact anyone. I don’t get why the OP is outraged by this.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Who is it affecting?

I’m black and I work with blacks, no one has ever been fired over their hair.

How can we progress as a society if everyone is out to be a victim?

Old 02-19-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Who is it affecting?

I’m black and I work with blacks, no one has ever been fired over their hair.

How can we progress as a society if everyone is out to be a victim?
Yeah, I know you say you’re black.

I’m also black (a black woman), and our hair has been criticized for being messy, unkemp, unprofessional. Congrats on the anecdotal story about your workplace. That doesn’t negate the experiences of those who face (and have faced) discrimination over their hair.

This is nothing for you to be outraged over, OP.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I know you say you’re black.

I’m also black (a black woman), and our hair has been criticized for being messy, unkemp, unprofessional. Congrats on the anecdotal story about your workplace. That doesn’t negate the experiences of those who face (and have faced) discrimination over their hair.

This is nothing for you to be outraged over, OP.
So you think laws are the solution?

You do know blacks will be hired even less right? Why would companies bother hiring a demographic with so many laws, restrictions, and demands.

I will absolutely be outraged at the end result of this being less black hirings. Some of us actually care about the black community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies