Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 05:27 AM

24,763 posts, read 9,559,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Yes, the law will help.
Yes, it will help less people of color to be hired. Perhaps you don’t understand the law of unintended consequences by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 05:30 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,303,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yes, it will help less people of color to be hired. Perhaps you don’t understand the law of unintended consequences by now.
My post still stands:

Quote:
If people will hire fewer black people because of their frustration with anti-discrimination laws, they wouldn’t be hiring blacks anyway.

Let go of the faux outrage, OP. It’s silly.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:33 AM

24,763 posts, read 9,559,912 times
Quote:
My post still stands:
Your point is pointless. Victim mentality won’t take you very far in life.

But it’s a great empty gesture I suppose.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:40 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,303,871 times
Quote:
Your point is pointless. Victim mentality won’t take you very far in life.

But it’s a great empty gesture I suppose.
Nice non-reply.

I’m done going in circles with you. I’m off to work!

Old 02-19-2019, 05:44 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,122,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't get that, either. If there is some sort of rule dictating the length of an employee's hair (something I have never heard of for women), that's one thing, as long as it's applied to everyone. I get that some workplaces want a more conservative look - no blue hair, no hot pink hair, etc.

But - and this is an important but - why should there be an issue with natural black hair? That's like telling a white person that he or she must get a curly perm to get or keep a job. Is anyone here okay with that?

Somehow I don't think it's just "natural black hair" that employers have an issue with......

It's exactly how natural it is.

I imagine they might object to something like this:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...35349040072310

But probably not something like this:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...07934248225807

Old 02-19-2019, 06:01 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,171,788 times
Good for NYC. For the folk who feign shock, google is your friend. There are plenty of stories of black women being demoted or harassed about hiwnwe keep our hair. I just saw one last week about a news person, I believe weather , who was told to change her hair. If we don’t want to put chemicals in our hair to please white viewers and or coworkers we shouldn’t have to. Nor should we be penalized for HOW OUR HAIR NATURALLY grows from our scalps.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:06 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,897,649 times
Quote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ys/2906013002/

This is outrageous. Are people really being offended or fired by their own hairstyle?

I don't know, Rocko, you seem to have a problem with "blacks". This is your second post today about that very same subject. Something you need to tell us ?

Old 02-19-2019, 06:13 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,733,320 times
Quote:

That is kind of like the recommendation for women to not fight back if they are being rapped....because it will only make it worse. Your conservative recommendation would probably be for the women to not see her self as a "victim" and instead take advantage and enjoy it.

I get so sick and tired of people who tow this political mantras and talking points.....on either side. I get sick of hearing this use of the word "victim". That is the catch term of conservatives who want to caste aspersion upon people who fight against injustice. I get so sick of hearing that BS. I mean....the whole premise of opposition politics is that people are VICTIMS of the oppositions policies. Hence, if one is a conservative they believe liberalism victimizes (ergo...produce negative consequences for) for society, economics, culture, etc. Everyday the conservative portrays the nation to be VICTIMS of liberalism. They, conservatives, are among the biggest purveyors of the idea that people can be and are victimized. They feel and argue that liberalism victimizes people every day.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-19-2019 at 06:44 AM..

Old 02-19-2019, 08:06 AM

1,227 posts, read 636,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
That is kind of like the recommendation for women to not fight back if they are being rapped....because it will only make it worse. Your conservative recommendation would probably be for the women to not see her self as a "victim" and instead take advantage and enjoy it.

I get so sick and tired of people who tow this political mantras and talking points.....on either side. I get sick of hearing this use of the word "victim". That is the catch term of conservatives who want to caste aspersion upon people who fight against injustice. I get so sick of hearing that BS. I mean....the whole premise of opposition politics is that people are VICTIMS of the oppositions policies. Hence, if one is a conservative they believe liberalism victimizes (ergo...produce negative consequences for) for society, economics, culture, etc. Everyday the conservative portrays the nation to be VICTIMS of liberalism. They, conservatives, are among the biggest purveyors of the idea that people can be and are victimized. They feel and argue that liberalism victimizes people every day.
A woman who was raped is a victim, a woman demanding the right to sport a natural hairstyle in the work place is not a victim.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:17 AM

18,569 posts, read 8,375,593 times
People used to have the right to decorate their business the way they wanted to...
...and employees are decoration...they represent the company

If half of the potential customers are turned off....that's not a good business model

So what's next?.....the government telling you what maid you have in your house?

...no different
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies