Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 03:39 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why are liberal areas so pricey on real estate usually compared to conservative

Why do people not understand the concept of 'supply & demand' and its affect on prices?
Right. That's how it works out in a highly conservative state, such as Oklahoma. The Tulsa and Oklahoma City suburbs, which are about the only places people are flocking to in Oklahoma, have a much higher cost of living than outlying rural areas, which are on the decline. For instance, Edmond cost of living is 107.4, while rural Ponca City it's only 75.7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 03:40 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
LOL! San Fran is the most expensive real estate market in the country and they have an epidemic of human feces and used needles all over the sidewalks.
How do you know? Did you see it with your own eyes in every part of town you visited?

Old 02-18-2019, 03:41 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
If I'm a person that decided 20 years ago I was never going to achieve more than what I could do in high school and I didn't want to work very hard doing it, then I need to move to the city. The costs go up...but it's not like I need to pay for it. There's programs, entitlements, rent caps....lots of stuff. Lots of stuff that would never fly in conservative areas that determined 20 years ago that they weren't your mother, and if you weren't going to take care of yourself, why should they?

Anyway, there's a lot of money to be made fleecing the unmotivated masses. So long as programs put money into their hands, then its easy to take from them. It's not like they're going to save anything. At any rate, that makes the land valuable. Spoke with a guy a week ago who wanted to know if I wanted to partner with him housing just released prisoners. You get like 2 grand a month for each one and can put 3 in a room. You have to feed them 1 meal a day. The others they are on their own. You don't have to be there either. After 9 months with no crimes committed they max out of the program. There's no end of supply.

So, effectively I rent a 4 bedroom place for $24K a month on a gross lease plus 360 meals. So I've got $4K a month in operating expense. That's $20K profit, guaranteed payment from the programs that are pretty liberal minded. Looking to help people that are down.

Don't like prisoners....there's all kinds of people. Kids. Drug rehabilitation. Care for elderly. Section 8. Former prisoners pay the most though. You don't have that in rural conservative areas.

So when you, Joe Normal, is looking to rent a 4 bed place for your family...you have to realize I have options. Really good paying options. If you want to live here, go rob a liquor store or lose your job and we'll talk...otherwise you might not pay the rent.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:54 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why are liberal areas so pricey on real estate usually compared to conservative

Why do people not understand the concept of 'supply & demand' and its affect on prices?
It's a conservative Smeagol/Gollum divide.

"The market is doing it wrong."
"But the market can't be wrong. The market is good!"
"But the houseses are so expensive, it is wrong! We likes the market, why does the market not like us back?"
"The market cannot be wrong. What the market does is right. RIGHT, I tell you!"

Old 02-18-2019, 03:55 PM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Homes cost more than trailers.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:56 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Living around liberals isn't cheap. I am glad I will never be able to afford to live around them.

we're sorta glad too!

But if you actually have the money, you can live in very conservative places like SoCal - and visit the realms of Reagan and Nixon. The problem is that it will cost you!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...25145233_zpid/

That is Nixon's place.

Wow, the CD Pol section has really gone downhill. You'd think the mods would at least make it so the same rants - which have nothing to do with politics - are posted over and over again.

The 10 million dollar plus places on SC islands....definitely conservative areas:
https://www.postandcourier.com/busin...4fff1aef2.html

The way I can judge is that they call developments "Plantations" and a simple 600K house is called a "cottage".

Last edited by craigiri; 02-18-2019 at 05:24 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 04:02 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
The reason is super rich conservatives often live in big cities. And big cities attract the leftwing riffraff who are on food stamps and SSI. So these rich conservatives skew the mean income and home prices in the cities. But the leftwingers try to hijack credit for these blue areas being wealthy.

The opposite holds true in the red states. I can't tell you how many times dimbulb leftwingers say "Oh, liberals subsidize conservatives because the blue states give money to the red." So the southern states are indeed red and poor. But those states also lead the country in the percent of blacks. Poor blacks who vote Democrat.

So yes, blue states pay for red states, but it is the super rich conservatives in the blue states paying for the poor black Democrats in the red states. Coz think about it. Leftwingers don't pay the bills for themselves, much less subsidize others.
Maybe in your delusional world this is true. Not sure where you came from all of a sudden but you have sure brought your own brand of crazy to this forum.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:16 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,254,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Likely, because they don't have all these silly, worthless regulations and not in my back yard types that are restricting housing permits.
OP used liberal/conservative as a proxy for urban/rural, which is correct in one sense but not in a cost sense. As such he opened himself up to the response that fewer people want to live in rural areas, which is true.

I think what he meant was that purple metro areas like Houston are cheaper than blue metro areas like Los Angeles. I don't think any there are any conservative cities proper in the US, but metro areas can lean right because of suburbs.

The answer to the variance in cost between cities is not demand-driven, but is supply-driven. The difference between expensive and affordable cities is in the price of land, and the price of land is mostly a function of zoning regulations and urban growth boundaries. Full stop.

There is truth in the OP in that purple metros, especially in red states, enact fewer urban containment policies because of the more laissez faire inclinations of their electorates. This results in cheaper but generally uglier metros.

If you are interested in saving money, it's a mixed bag of cities that pursue a middle way between right and left. Costs are too high in NYC and SF, but incomes are too low in Miami and Phoenix. Seattle and DC are blue metros with good disposable income, and Dallas and Salt Lake City are purple metros with good disposable income.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:25 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
You have no idea how supply and demand works.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:28 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesemont View Post
The reason is super rich conservatives often live in big cities. And big cities attract the leftwing riffraff who are on food stamps and SSI. So these rich conservatives skew the mean income and home prices in the cities. But the leftwingers try to hijack credit for these blue areas being wealthy.

The opposite holds true in the red states. I can't tell you how many times dimbulb leftwingers say "Oh, liberals subsidize conservatives because the blue states give money to the red." So the southern states are indeed red and poor. But those states also lead the country in the percent of blacks. Poor blacks who vote Democrat.

So yes, blue states pay for red states, but it is the super rich conservatives in the blue states paying for the poor black Democrats in the red states. Coz think about it. Leftwingers don't pay the bills for themselves, much less subsidize others.
Haha... good joke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies