Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Saturday Night Special be banned?
yes, entirely ban them. 1 6.25%
no, don't ban, but slap on a hefty tax so that they are not affordable for those who would misuse them. 0 0%
no, don't take any steps against them, period. 12 75.00%
other (please explain below). 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 07:25 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,956 times

Advertisements

This used to always be a hot topic of discussion in gun control circles, but you rarely hear it mentioned any more. There was even a song about it by a rock group years ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynard Skynard, Sat. Night Special lyrics
Mr. Saturday night special
Got a barrel that's blue and cold
Ain't good for nothin'
But put a man six feet in a hole...

Oh, it's the Saturday night special, for twenty dollars you can buy yourself one too
Hand guns are made for killin'
They ain't no good for nothin' else
I can't even remember the last time I heard this topic broached. A "Saturday Night Special" can be defined as a cheap, easily acquired weapon. The gun used by John Hinkley to shoot President Reagan was a typical example.

I think the name comes from the old days when laborers used to get paid on Friday, and would all line up at the bank Fri evening to cash their checks. By Saturday morning they could go out, plunk down a small portion of their pay, and walk out with a deadly and dangerous weapon, which they would take out on the town Saturday night.

Some gun proponents have argued that banning them was racist, since they were often intended for use by young males of color. I argue just the reverse. If these guns were commonly being used against black people, would it not be anti-racist to have banned them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 07:28 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,514,723 times
From the thread title, I thought this was going to be about what Trump said about "Saturday Night Live." I like the Skynyrd song though.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:52 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,531 times
the country is more prosperous now...can afford better guns lol

Old 02-21-2019, 08:13 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,083,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
This used to always be a hot topic of discussion in gun control circles, but you rarely hear it mentioned any more. There was even a song about it by a rock group years ago:

I can't even remember the last time I heard this topic broached. A "Saturday Night Special" can be defined as a cheap, easily acquired weapon. The gun used by John Hinkley to shoot President Reagan was a typical example.

I think the name comes from the old days when laborers used to get paid on Friday, and would all line up at the bank Fri evening to cash their checks. By Saturday morning they could go out, plunk down a small portion of their pay, and walk out with a deadly and dangerous weapon, which they would take out on the town Saturday night.

Some gun proponents have argued that banning them was racist, since they were often intended for use by young males of color. I argue just the reverse. If these guns were commonly being used against black people, would it not be anti-racist to have banned them?

A Saturday night special refers to a handgun... traditionally a revolver in the old days, but these days, cheap semi auto handguns like Hi-Points also fit the description.

And handguns, especially the Saturday Night special variety, are used to kill more people than any other type of firearms... including the AR-15.

And by a long shot......it's not even close.

But the type of shooter that typically kills with one of these guns is usually a minority, and usually in a big, Liberal run city like Chicago.

It's just not fashionable to point out that inconvenient little fact.

So they don't get the same level of attention as the sensationalized mass shootings and the AR-15.

Because it would force gun control proponents to look at themselves too much.

Last edited by FatBob96; 02-21-2019 at 08:26 PM..

Old 02-21-2019, 09:10 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,382 times
Quote:
I can't even remember the last time I heard this topic broached. A "Saturday Night Special" can be defined as a cheap, easily acquired weapon.
So, the kind of gun that might be the only gun someone living in poverty might be able to afford to protect themselves and their family? And you want to ban them? Why do you hate poor people? Shouldn't they be able to protect themselves too?

Old 02-21-2019, 09:14 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
So, the kind of gun that might be the only gun someone living in poverty might be able to afford to protect themselves and their family? And you want to ban them? Why do you hate poor people? Shouldn't they be able to protect themselves too?
Studies show that a gun intended for self protection is more likely to be used to harm a family member or friend.

I would support funding for all school students, regardless of income, to get training in dialoguing techniques, so that guns are not needed.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:20 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,489,397 times
How about we actually lock up convicted felons with LONG, mandatory sentences? You know, instead of turning them back out on the street time after time, to continue to prey on innocent people.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:36 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
the term 'saturday night special' really refers to any cheap, second hand, black market, handgun (usually the smaller size for concealment purposes).

They are still out there, and probably more accessible than the 70s or 80s, although not many people call them 'SNS's. From my days as a heroin addict, I met handful of dealers and other users, 9 out of 10 times, a drug dealer ALSO has access to small handguns on the cheap, around $150 and up will get you a bang bang (but do not ask where it came from).

Old 02-22-2019, 03:22 AM

1,663 posts, read 875,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Studies show that a gun intended for self protection is more likely to be used to harm a family member or friend.

I would support funding for all school students, regardless of income, to get training in dialoguing techniques, so that guns are not needed.
What exactly are these "dialoging techniques"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
How about we actually lock up convicted felons with LONG, mandatory sentences? You know, instead of turning them back out on the street time after time, to continue to prey on innocent people.
And the same with anyone convicted of theft or possession of a stolen firearm.

Old 02-22-2019, 03:38 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
What exactly are these "dialoging techniques"?

And the same with anyone convicted of theft or possession of a stolen firearm.
I'll offer an example:

Please sirs, I would appreciate it greatly if you don't strike me with your iron pipe and rape my daughter in front of my dying eyes...Please,please,please Perhaps I could offer you pancakes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies