Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 09:44 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stank1964 View Post
Trump is not a politician, that is what the left hates about him. That same fact is what his supporters love about him. He doesn’t need the money, you can’t buy him. He’s putting up with all of this **** for nothing, he loves the country and he sees it going to hell and a hand basket. He cares.

Wake up America, how can we reasonably expect the establishment to fix the problems in this country when the establishment created and has done little to nothing about them for decades? We need new leaders, hopefully, trump is the first of a new wave of outsiders leading what is left of our great country.

I don’t give a damn about what he says or how he says it. I care about what he does and how that benefits me and my family. He’s doing very well on that project.
No, he's worse. He's a politician on steroids. He lies all the time, tells you what you want to hear, makes big bold promises and doesn't deliver and when things don't go his way, he blames everyone else but himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 09:45 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Very nice post, Bawac.

I think your first point ties in nicely with the Republican's disdain for education. They like an ignorant electorate.

I think your second point is linked to the first. If you have people yelling "Four legs good, two legs bad," it's hard to counter it with a rational argument.

For me, I'd probably list some other issues, like the underlying aggression and bigotry as well.
You left out oranginess and obesity. You are so predictable. For some reason I can see Nancy's or Maxine's prudish faces when I read your posts.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:46 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stank1964 View Post
Trump is not a politician, that is what the left hates about him. That same fact is what his supporters love about him. He doesn’t need the money, you can’t buy him. He’s putting up with all of this **** for nothing, he loves the country and he sees it going to hell and a hand basket. He cares.

Wake up America, how can we reasonably expect the establishment to fix the problems in this country when the establishment created and has done little to nothing about them for decades? We need new leaders, hopefully, trump is the first of a new wave of outsiders leading what is left of our great country.

I don’t give a damn about what he says or how he says it. I care about what he does and how that benefits me and my family. He’s doing very well on that project.
The left does not hate him because he’s not a politician. And hate is a strong word. Trump doesn’t care about our country. He cares about himself and the praise he gets from his supporters. He doesn’t even try to bring our country together which is what we need. Instead he has further divided us. You may not give a damn what he says but many do. He represents our country in the world and he’s an embarrassment.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:49 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
MAGA is simply about Americans wanting this country to be "great" and to bring back Law & Order.
Law and order? Look at the swamp creatures in the Trump administration who have been forced to resign, have been convicted of a crime or are currently under investigation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/t...ion-conflicts/

Old 02-22-2019, 10:57 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Trump doesn't talk doubletalk and keeps his promises. That's why I love him.
Oh, yeah... no doubletalk from Trump... he gets right to the heart of the issue, and makes perfect, crystal clear sense every time!

Quote:
Look, having nuclear—my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart—you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I'm one of the smartest people anywhere in the world—it’s true!—but when you're a conservative Republican they try—oh, do they do a number—that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune—you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged—but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me—it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what's going to happen and he was right—who would have thought?), but when you look at what's going on with the four prisoners—now it used to be three, now it’s four—but when it was three and even now, I would have said it's all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don't, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years—but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.
That's your stable genius right there, folks. That was the President of The United States speaking.

To answer the OP - I agree with your two main points, and would add one. First of all, yes - the complete inability to grasp anything remotely complex, and the need to have everything simplified into black and white. Even a 5-year old should know the world is more complicated than that, but conservatives are incapable of grasping it.

This simplemindedness exemplifies the sheer stupidity of the whole Trump movement; that 1/3 of the country is so stupid and so hypnotized that they look at that gibberish and think those are the insights of an intelligent man. They actually look up this babbling nitwit. They have put our whole country into this ignorant nincompoop's hands, and they think it's the smartest decision they've ever made.

In addition to the ignorance, the sheer meanness sickens me. That woman in Florida last month who complained that "He's not hurting the people he's supposed to hurt" summed them up in a nutshell. The ignorant barbarians don't care about moving the country forward half as much as they do about making sure that nobody they dislike gets ahead. Just nasty pricks. Granted, I hate them more than almost any of them probably hate me, but I'm not so sociopathic that I'm going to destroy the country just to destroy them.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:16 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
1) It reduces complex, complicated issues and problems to black-and-white absolutes, bumper sticker slogans, and emotion-based policy as opposed to fact-based policy.
TRANSLATION: I hate it when conservatives compete with us liberals by using or own tactics against us. Especially when they win!

Quote:
2) The MAGA movement deliberately promotes lies and mischaracterization of the opposition while claiming moral superiority.
TRANSLATION: See previous translation.

Old 02-22-2019, 11:29 PM

515 posts, read 558,597 times
I don't have a problem with Trump's politics. On paper, most of his stances are fairly moderate and not that extreme. In fact, IMO he has the potential to be a GOOD president. But he chooses to embrace the alt-right and racist leanings. MAGA has become a symbol of intolerance, bigotry, anti-progress, hate and white supremacy. Trump should have shunned all those negative alt-right and hate groups from the start, he could have changed the current stigma associated with MAGA. Of course not everyone who is a huge Trump supporter is a racist alt-right white nationalist. But if you are one, more than likely you are a Trump supporter.

Its too bad that he let it drive an even deeper wedge between this country's politics, it was already getting bad. Now you have the Liberal left going even further left as a result. And yes, there are some real wacked-out Liberals with much worse ideas than Trump ever had coming out the woodwork now. In fact, as a moderate Democrat, I would probably vote for a moderate or right-leaning Republican over most of these new Liberals. I don't think Trump can come back from the controversy and corruption at this point to stand a chance in 2020, especially if Biden/Beto make a run.

I just don't understand how some of the hardcore MAGA supporters are so dismissive of facts and logic. They are not the only ones who are for law-and-order, border security and basic freedoms. Every Dem I know supports that. I do wish all the Pelosis, AOCs, Warrens, Smolletts and SJWs would just go away. The Democratic party used to be a party of working class Americans and inclusiveness, I just hope it returns to that!

Old 02-22-2019, 11:56 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 2 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
Very much agreed here!

Quote:
1) It reduces complex, complicated issues and problems to black-and-white absolutes, bumper sticker slogans, and emotion-based policy as opposed to fact-based policy. The world is a complicated place and shades of gray do exist. Abortion is a perfect example as is immigration. Transgender issues are another area this applies to.
They think nunace and complexity is either unworldly academic "absent-minded professor" word salad or outright emasculation (and no secret for how much importance the MAGA crowd puts on manliness). They think a high school at most vocabulary is more than sufficient to answer even the most complicated social, political, and cultural issues. You especially see this in a "No ifs, ands, or buts!" attitude. This attitude inevitably leads to oversimple understandings of how the world works. Of course, when it's their own views put under the microscope, they'll use all the complexity their minds can muster in order to defend their notion that their way of thinking is perfectly fine the way it is.

Quote:
2) The MAGA movement deliberately promotes lies and mischaracterization of the opposition while claiming moral superiority. To me, an ideology loses all credibility when it has to lie to promote itself. MAGA has done a very good job at getting its propaganda out to the American public convincingly. On no issue is this more apparent than the issue of climate change. Abortion, immigration, and marijuana are close runner ups.

The second one is particularly concerning because I don't think the Left has done a very good job at countering it.
Their propaganda depends on "common sense" as their culture defines it, belief that the Constitution (or rather, traditional interpretations of it) are the complete and final word of what the Constitution means, and assumes the basebrain reptilian ways of sizing up a person's worth are applicable outside Stone Age environments - and the latter especially is being generous.

Oh, and anything that threatens their "freedom", but acutally being paranoid about their loss of property rights and gun rights besides. I never saw anything in the constitution suggesting that you can pour toxic waste into the ground on your property, or bury animal carcasses with dangerous contagious diseases on it in a mere 2 foot deep hole, then cover up the dirt. Laws and regulations are there for a reason!

Old 02-23-2019, 12:40 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Except he hasn't kept his promises, he hasn't built the wall, he drove up the deficit, he favored the rich, the jobs didn't come back, we are close to another recession, and things are still the same as they always were.

Wake up, the right-wing media is giving you the tingles in your leg...because it brings good ratings and makes them millions in advertising revenue. They tell you what you want to hear.

Yawn.......

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sc...ngs-2018-07-18

Old 02-23-2019, 01:50 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Like everyone who doesn't support Trump is a "Godless, demon-possessed deviant."
That would be pretty ridiculous considering he thought 2 Corinthians was Two Corinthians rather than Second Corinthians, and that he has cheated on all of his wives....among other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies