Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:26 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,734,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
One of the advantages of living in a small town... the cops ain't trigger-happy cause they ain't stressed out constantly.
Except it was a much smaller force that killed my nephew...in a much smaller town in a much more rural area about 90 minutes NE of there.

I give the SWAT team credit. Maybe after killing a bunch of innocents LE has toned it down and is playing this particular game better. I hope so...because shooting a kid on his own property when he posed no threat to anyone except himself is overkill (10 acre lots).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 06:38 PM

35,827 posts, read 21,217,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Sorry, I know Florida. He's actually better than many of them.

Florida is the sunny place for shady people. Heck, next you will tell us Rick Scott was not a crook.

Florida is corrupt from top to bottom...beside the violence, pollution and general weirdness. I should know....I live here (not too far from Port Richey)..and so does much of my family.

Strange place.

Oh, and we were in politics in NJ and in MA and also 2nd hand in some other places. My uncle was city solicitor of Philly.

I could fill a book myself...but there are plenty of books about such things. Start with Buddy - Read "Prince of Providence". A crook sentenced and spent time in jail. Became a HERO and elected again afterwards. In a BIG city....

All very normal.
Native Floridian - it’s the transplants

Old 02-22-2019, 06:40 PM

29,233 posts, read 22,506,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
He was mayor of a tiny town of 2,800. There are more students in most high schools but don’t let that get in the way of your rant. He is not typical of Florida or any other state.
Yup.

There are always going to be officials who think they're above the law, though. Almost all of them aren't willing to go as far as a shootout, which is a good thing.

About 100 years ago, my Granddad had to pull a gun on the country sheriff who was intent on getting back a mare a scoundrel claimed was stolen. This is a situation that is the reverse of this mayor and his sheriff.

Goes to show it could happen either way, and the court is where it all gets straightened out in the end.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:51 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,124,714 times
He is no longer the Mayor. Gov. DeSantis has suspended him from the office of Mayor.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:05 PM

11,125 posts, read 5,630,835 times
Quote:
Sorry, I know Florida. He's actually better than many of them.

Florida is the sunny place for shady people. Heck, next you will tell us Rick Scott was not a crook.

Florida is corrupt from top to bottom...beside the violence, pollution and general weirdness. I should know....I live here (not too far from Port Richey)..and so does much of my family.

Strange place.

Oh, and we were in politics in NJ and in MA and also 2nd hand in some other places. My uncle was city solicitor of Philly.

I could fill a book myself...but there are plenty of books about such things. Start with Buddy - Read "Prince of Providence". A crook sentenced and spent time in jail. Became a HERO and elected again afterwards. In a BIG city....

All very normal.

Some years ago, when I was in the Army in Alabama, a couple of guys on our company football team came from Dothan, in the SE corner of that state, very close to Florida. They told me that both their parents and high school coaches forbid them from ever going over the border to any part of Florida. They were told that people were so easy and sleazy there, that nothing but trouble awaited them. And I didn't have a very good opinion about Alabama. So if things were that much worse in Florida--------.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:44 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,760,941 times
Please stop saying "White Privilege", there are 100's of millions white people who have no privilege at all.

Also, what is the OP saying Dale Massad was smiling?? in the booking photo? no he wasn't here is the booking photo.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...50976204187249

Old 02-22-2019, 08:11 PM

27,223 posts, read 46,889,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I was going to ignore this but it really upset me.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/22/us/fl...ice/index.html

This man was doing something illegal and has the audacity to smile in his mugshot. He is a prime example of white privilege. He can fire shots at the police and not be killed right there and then. Unarmed black men get killed for just being and this man can shoot at police, not receive return fire, and smile in his mugshot probably thinking he will be able to afford a lawyer who can fight for him to the end and won't have to stay in jail/go to prison.

He said that he's lucky to be alive. I'm like no you're white and that's why you're alive. LOL.
Why he could still be the mayor is a huge question. He lost his medical
License 27 years ago. That area is know for drugs and the mayor is a drug addict.

Unbelievable. Luckily he is charge with attempted murder on top of unlicensed medical practice and didn’t get bail.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:16 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,734,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Native Floridian - it’s the transplants
Well, that's a tough one because only 36% of Floridians are native born - AND, vastly less if we go back two generations to when the entire State was one big Drug Dealing Mob Scene. To go back to anything approaching a "real" Florida, we'd be talking less then 10% of the population.

Like my neighbor....taught school here 45 years ago and his parents and grandparents lived here...or the woman I drove to church last week, here since 1937.

However, when 90% aren't those....it's safe to say Florida is...what it is.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:29 PM

19,913 posts, read 12,206,926 times
Quote:
Well, that's a tough one because only 36% of Floridians are native born - AND, vastly less if we go back two generations to when the entire State was one big Drug Dealing Mob Scene. To go back to anything approaching a "real" Florida, we'd be talking less then 10% of the population.

Like my neighbor....taught school here 45 years ago and his parents and grandparents lived here...or the woman I drove to church last week, here since 1937.

However, when 90% aren't those....it's safe to say Florida is...what it is.
In 1960 the population was around 5 million, now it is 22 million.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:00 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,124,714 times
^^^^^
And only 3 phone area codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies