Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 11:37 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Federal judge ruled against Trump administration denying citizenship to children of a gay couple born via surrogate outside of the United States.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...on-ruling.html

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/22/69700...enship-lawsuit

Saving grace for the administration is that the court's ruling only applies to this specific case; that is the judge did not rule underlying law was unconstitutional.
I wonder what "the gays" think about you calling them "the gays"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 12:04 PM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
This is an odd case but one that will no doubt be tested more and more in the future given how much money it costs to have a surrogate in the US.

I wonder if somehow this ruling could be applied to a baby that a military man serving overseas fathered and left behind when his tour was up? Could the child once grown have a claim to US citizenship?

I don't see the ruling as a blow to Trump but the Left loves to hear anything that can be precieved as such. It sounds like there was a challenge to existing law and in this case the law was bent one time to allow the baby to become a citizen.

I bet the law will be challenged and will be eventually changed.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:29 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This is an odd case but one that will no doubt be tested more and more in the future given how much money it costs to have a surrogate in the US.

I wonder if somehow this ruling could be applied to a baby that a military man serving overseas fathered and left behind when his tour was up? Could the child once grown have a claim to US citizenship?

I don't see the ruling as a blow to Trump but the Left loves to hear anything that can be precieved as such. It sounds like there was a challenge to existing law and in this case the law was bent one time to allow the baby to become a citizen.

I bet the law will be challenged and will be eventually changed.
The answer to that question has long been yes. But, in such cases, the child would be the offspring of a US citizen, which is not the case here.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:41 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
So if I send my sperm to a woman in China to impregnate her, is that kid an automatic US Citizen ?

Old 02-23-2019, 12:42 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Gays need all the victories they can get after the Smollett embarrassment.

That idiot set their plight back several years.
Why would that reflect on "gays"?

Old 02-23-2019, 12:44 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
So if I send my sperm to a woman in China to impregnate her, is that kid an automatic US Citizen ?
Yes, technically.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Yes, technically.
Yep. Now the child would (or you) would have to prove parentage in this case still. But if you jump through the hoops, the child would gain citizenship by birth in the US, even though the child was born in China via sperm donor.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:50 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Yes, technically.
I think I've found a new Fun Career path

And I'm not even Gay.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I think I've found a new Fun Career path
Assuming its legal, I'm sure that most Chinese women in such cases would be looking for other Chinese/east Asian donors Otherwise, I think this would be a bigger industry already. Instead, birth tourism seems to be the thing, where Chinese (and other) nationals physically time their presence/vacations in the US to around when they are due to give birth, thereby guaranteeing that their children are US citizens.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:53 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This has nothing to do with being gay and you libs all know that.
This.

Israeli citizen sires a child with a Canadian woman as surrogate, in Canada.

It is a complicated citizenship case, nothing to do with the father being gay. Citizenship laws are important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies