Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 06:48 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times

Advertisements

So let me get this straight, the right wing gets butt hurt & turn into snowflakes because Bill Maher joked about them being less "educated" yet keep mum about Trump when he says "He loves the poorly educated" as part of his base :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9F6EAMPky4

Okey dokey !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 06:52 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,946,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Yeah, I like Maher's stuff, including the clip in the OP. It's a comedic take on Charles Murray's Belmont/Fishtown dichotomy. But it ignore all the trouble in blue state areas outside of Belmont.
...And he ignores the obvious... if'n us rednecks want to watch one of them live picture shows on Broadway, we just hitch up the horse and buggy and go!!!

Last edited by Ultor; 02-25-2019 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-25-2019, 07:04 AM

673 posts, read 466,217 times
Maher is a non funny hack. Why anyone would pay any attention to the leftist hack is beyond me.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:17 AM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Outrage has become the national sport.
Unfortunately, it doesn't stop at just outrage like it used to.

If we just look at Covington as an example, it wasn't just people jumping the gun and becoming outraged, they immediately started trying to doxx and destroy the individuals involved.

Now it would be one thing if it were some 70+ year old miserable crackpot from Florida but when it's people with 100k twitter followers and of course the major news media that's a whole other story.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:25 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Blue_04907694 View Post
Who is Bill Maher?
Someone who made you curious enoght to use your time to post about him.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:30 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Blue_04907694 View Post
Who is Bill Maher?
Who are the poorly educated that Trump so loves? Questions of the ages.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:31 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosilly View Post
Maher is a non funny hack. Why anyone would pay any attention to the leftist hack is beyond me.
Well, he's a leftist hack who actually at times, rips on the left.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:33 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Unfortunately, it doesn't stop at just outrage like it used to.

If we just look at Covington as an example, it wasn't just people jumping the gun and becoming outraged, they immediately started trying to doxx and destroy the individuals involved.

Now it would be one thing if it were some 70+ year old miserable crackpot from Florida but when it's people with 100k twitter followers and of course the major news media that's a whole other story.
Well, in a sense you are 100% correct.

Far left liberals like myself don't even read the story. We know that, in the affairs of humans, there is always BS going around. We don't play pretend outrage - like "let's pretend white Christians in the USA are terrible victims" and stuff like that.

We look at the big picture. In general we don't mind our tax money propping up the "poorly educated" as long as some it goes to educating them.

But we certainly don't relish them being less than all they can be. And, we don't play outrage when a comedian speaks about them..or us...or anyone.

On that we hopefully agree. Reasonable people are not outraged by anything in this particular realm.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:14 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
That wasn't entirely mocking you. He had a really good point. Besides, he is a comedian.

Can you articulate or tell me what he said that was incorrect? Are the affluent and educated moving to, umm, Jackson, MS. I had to look at a map of the US to get this - I don't really think about the middle of the country much. This forum proves the point daily with the CA, NY and liberal bashing. When does a liberal, or anyone, ever start a post bashing Nebraska? Point is, we don't care about you but you sure care about us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Keep telling yourself that honey.
I don't. I only care about the power the uneducated have gained and used that power to divide and destroy. Enjoy your day in the sun cause i think it will be over soon. Besides, context matters (Google it if you don't understand). I provided the FULL text of what you are responding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Only all the time. The ultimate liberal mouthpiece, the New York Times, does this pretty much daily, with countless stories aiming to portray people in the hinterlands as racist, homophobic, xenophobic or otherwise uncouth. It's what their readers want since, if you can't be happy with yourself and your own life, the next best thing is to feel like you're better than someone else.
You read the NYT??? Do tell and do provide 7 articles from the last 7 days to prove it. Also, I wrote, "This forum proves the point daily with the CA, NY and liberal bashing. When does a liberal, or anyone, ever start a post bashing Nebraska?" See my quote above. Is this forum the NYT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
They don't have anyone but themselves to blame for that. Why would any cutting edge tech or financial services company want to build in Hooterville? Who's going to work for them? The high school dropouts who live in the red states? Smart, talented, well-educated people who've worked hard to give themselves options in life didn't do all that work so they could live the rest of their lives in Petticoat Junction, eating at Cheddar's.

I agree; what's the problem? What did he say that wasn't true?

Maher's right. Blue states, and liberals in general, are more affluent and better-educated. So what? That doesn't mean he's mocking them; it's just a statement of fact. After all, isn't this the way they say they want to live their lives? They don't need no education; don't want those loser librul teachers indoctoring their kids into becoming communists, right? OK, fine, that's the way they choose to live. So why do they care what we think?

Personally, like you I don't think of them at all. I don't give a damn about red state conservatives, and I never will. The only things I care about are that they keep ****ing up the rest of the country by voting for Republicans, and they keep sucking more tax dollars out of the federal teat than they pour in. The Confederacy has been an anchor around the neck of the entire country for a century and a half, and I'm sick to death of the whole primitive tribe.
The smart ones flee to the coasts. I think we call it a brain drain. I've read that the population in the middle of the country is lower than it was during colonization but don't quote me on that. I recall a woman holding a sign that said, "Keep your dirty government hands off my medicare." Or, something like that. Point being, many of these under-educated do not understand where their monthly disability, SSI, or whatever goverernment program check comes from or who pays for it.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:38 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,344 times
Satirical tone aside, he has a point. Dense clustering of major employment centers, as seen in many coastal cities, leads to higher COL and lower QOL for the average person.

Many people get an education in order to get a job, in order to provide for themselves a means of living. If situations call for it, they will move to where the jobs are, whether it be high COL coastal cities or lower COL “flyover” cities.

In the Age of Tech, I don’t see why employment centers can not be more spread out. Besides, after time, the excitement and novelty of living in a major coastal city such as SF, LA, NYC. etc. wears thin as one ages, and the desire for more affordable housing, decent schools (for families), less stressful commute/congested living, and a greater ability to save for retirement takes overall precedent.

At this point in my life, I wouldn’t mind rural-ish living with acreage within driving distance of urban amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies