Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 03:58 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times

Advertisements

The critics of Cortez are going to have to decide whether or not a politician is out of touch because they have worked as a blue collar worker or because they haven't...one or the other.

Ivanka lecturing Cortez on working is hilarious.

Ivanka waltzed through life.
Ivanka hasn't a clue what even I have had to deal with as a middle to middle class mother of three children. She never will. That's fine -- but let's not pretend all of a sudden she has found the light and has the answers.

Her Daddy won an election - -and like the job he gave her at his office, he gave her another job at his office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 05:16 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Perhaps Ivanka will be turning in her third generation inherited wealth that she didn't earn now
LOL. Talk about tone deaf.

I'm sure she didn't want it since she didn't work for it.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:32 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
My dad was just talking to me about occassio Cortez. He says she's literally the dumbest person in congress / government right now. She said something about if money doesn't grow on trees than why do banks have branches lol. I was reading another political website and this person wrote that she'll only be good for illegals and no one else. I think she said she wants to abolish ICE which is an insane idea btw. Crazy.
Lol... The fact that you believe she said that says more about you than it does about her. This is so obviously the punchline on some late night joke or Twitter meme and you're passing it off as fact. Jesus...

I feel like I say this everytime I reply about AOC, but what is it about her that makes people take off their thinking caps and post the dumbest takes?

Old 02-27-2019, 05:41 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times
AOC has crazy eyes and is scary as hell with her bizarre ideas. Ivanka like many children of wealthy parents certainly had tons of advantages and didn’t really have to try out or put in apps to get the positions she’s held, but she does work hard at her career and is business savvy. But true she’s never worked for wages or had to work when she wasn’t feeling well because she needed the check to keep the gas on. However I find AOC to be extremely destructive.

Old 02-27-2019, 11:53 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Likewise, increasing minimum wage will not guarantee that it will lower COL and increase QOL.
I agree. Increased minimum wage to 15$ an hour is only going to force business owners to cut employees hours or business hours to stay profitable. Also these fast food workers getting this is a joke. I eat out a lot on the road and most of these employees are slovenly and disrespectful and don’t provide any customer service. The managers are 20 years old.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:36 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,738,569 times
Did anyone actually read to the end of the article? It appears there was a miscommunication on both sides.

Ivanka said she doesn't believe in a minimum guaranteed wage for people unwilling to work, which she said is what was asked of her in the interview.

AOC's office side said that guaranteed pay for those unwilling to work appeared as a proposal in a fact sheet that was released from her office in error and doesn't appear in the Green New Deal proposal introduced in the House.

So effectively they're both responding to strawmen.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:57 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Amen.

We need to worry less about minimum wage and more about those who have worked their way up from minimum wage.

Every time we raise the minimum, people who make over minimum wage get screwed because they don't get a corresponding raise ( unless they're union of course).

This keeps the skilled working class on a never ending, one step up, two steps back treadmill where their real world buying power never really increases the way that it should.

Add in hordes of illegals working in Construction trades, driving the wages down and it's pretty easy to see why so many blue collar Americans don't have much sympathy for raising the minimum wage.

Because they know they're about to get bent over.
Yes, exactly. Get tough on employers who hire illegal workers. With that low wage competition eliminated employers will be forced to pay a living wage again for those jobs.
Generally low/no skill minimum wage jobs are not intended to be the end game but are a source of income for those not depending on that job to sustain a family: rent, utilities, insurance, food, etc.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
Did anyone actually read to the end of the article? It appears there was a miscommunication on both sides.

Ivanka said she doesn't believe in a minimum guaranteed wage for people unwilling to work, which she said is what was asked of her in the interview.

AOC's office side said that guaranteed pay for those unwilling to work appeared as a proposal in a fact sheet that was released from her office in error and doesn't appear in the Green New Deal proposal introduced in the House.

So effectively they're both responding to strawmen.
I think early on Donald got himself into a mess and his dad got the banks to loan him 35 million dollars (or something like that). One can say he worked for that, I say he didn't.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:13 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes, exactly. Get tough on employers who hire illegal workers. With that low wage competition eliminated employers will be forced to pay a living wage again for those jobs.
Generally low/no skill minimum wage jobs are not intended to be the end game but are a source of income for those not depending on that job to sustain a family: rent, utilities, insurance, food, etc.
Less than half (45%) of the 2.6 million hourly workers who were at or below the federal minimum in 2015 were ages 16 to 24.

About 20.6 million people (or 30% of all hourly, non-self-employed workers 18 and older) are “near-minimum-wage” workers. Near-minimum-wage workers earned more than the minimum wage in their state but less than $10.10 per hour in 2013.
5 facts about the minimum wage | Pew Research Center

Old 02-28-2019, 09:26 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Less than half (45%) of the 2.6 million hourly workers who were at or below the federal minimum in 2015 were ages 16 to 24.

About 20.6 million people (or 30% of all hourly, non-self-employed workers 18 and older) are “near-minimum-wage” workers. Near-minimum-wage workers earned more than the minimum wage in their state but less than $10.10 per hour in 2013.
5 facts about the minimum wage | Pew Research Center
So that doesnt change the fact that generally these jobs are not intended to be the end game. Of course there is a faction that cant or wont do any better than a life long minimum wage job.

The near-minimum-wage workers are young (just under half are 30 or younger), mostly white (76%), and more likely to be female (54%) than male (46%). A majority (56%) have no more than a high-school education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies