Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 09:45 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That analogy doesn't fly, unless Holocaust descendants are part of an educational program that includes field trips to extermination camps.

Try to stay focused ...
You not liking the analogy doesnt really matter all that much to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
They are not required to by a school, hillbilly.

However, German students are required to do so.

Is that bad too?
Yes, it is. But to be clear, Germany doesnt sugar coat or deflect from what the Holocaust was either. It wasnt the "war of European aggression" or the "extermination of a threat to German livelihoods".

Old 02-28-2019, 09:52 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
I do not understand my fellow citizens anymore. I just don't.

The SJWs and their minions endlessly scream that whites are insensitive to history and do not know know how slavery impacts people to this day.

Here was someone trying to remedy that by <gasp!> taking people through a place that actually had slaves and showing them the actual object of their forced labor and cruel existence. Using education to enlighten everyone about a horrid stain on our history.

But somehow that is wrong.
the answer is that some of your fellow citizens have gone certifiably SJW batcrap insane.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:01 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You not liking the analogy doesnt really matter all that much to me.
"Not liking" - which I gave no indication of one way or another - is not the same as "doesn't fly".

The lack of comprehension of logical fallacies on your part is apparent. You're not comparing one like group to another, one like activity to another, etc. Therefore, you have not made a valid comparison between eighth grader pages visiting a pre-Civil War kitchen in a governor's mansion and Holocaust survivors and their descendants visiting an extermination camp.

Quote:
You have a right to that opinion.
It's not an opinion; it's a fact. The kids were required to participate in the visit to the governor's mansion as part of their participation in the page program.

Quote:
The difference is you want to force everyone to, and I dont.
The kids weren't being forced to do anything but show up for the tour.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:01 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
There are plenty of Holocaust survivors and their descendants who dont visit extermination camps either. Are they too sensitive as well ?
What they said:
Quote:
That analogy doesn't fly, unless Holocaust descendants are part of an educational program that includes field trips to extermination camps.

Try to stay focused ...
Quote:
They are not required to by a school, hillbilly.

However, German students are required to do so.

Is that bad too?

These kids signed up for the student page program. I would assume they have an interest in politics and might one day want to be an actual intern. I also assume that job isnt all skittles and rainbows. Slavery is a part of Virginia's history. It is what it is and if they cant face history and separate their emotion from their reason and logic I'm not sure they are on the right career path.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:02 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
I mean - when you first hear it and imagine the first lady at a SCHOOL handing out cotton - it sounds pretty dumb. But, in context of what they were actually doing (touring slave quarters) ~ then it seems kind of appropriate for the situation.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
"Not liking" - which I gave no indication of one way or another - is not the same as "doesn't fly".

The lack of comprehension of logical fallacies on your part is apparent. You're not comparing one like group to another, one like activity to another, etc. Therefore, you have not made a valid comparison between eighth graders visiting a pre-Civil War kitchen in a governor's mansion and Holocaust survivors visiting an extermination camp.
Oh excuse me

What doesnt fly in your opinion doesnt matter all that much to me.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What they said:

These kids signed up for the student page program. I would assume they have an interest in politics and might one day want to be an actual intern. I also assume that job isnt all skittles and rainbows. Slavery is a part of Virginia's history. It is what it is and if they cant face history and separate their emotion from their reason and logic I'm not sure they are on the right career path.
Part of being a politician is being the change you want to see int he world. So again, I disagree.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:09 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Oh excuse me

What doesnt fly in your opinion doesnt matter all that much to me.
There are no opinions here. Please educate yourself on using logic to construct an argument.

Quote:
Part of being a politician is being the change you want to see int he world. So again, I disagree.
Well, you know what they say about history and being doomed to repeat it ...

Old 02-28-2019, 10:21 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Yes, it is. But to be clear, Germany doesnt sugar coat or deflect from what the Holocaust was either. It wasnt the "war of European aggression" or the "extermination of a threat to German livelihoods".
The first lady of Virginia was sugarcoating Slavery?

Please elaborate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies