Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are gun rights as important as voting rights?
Yes, I believe a citizen's right to own a firearm is as important as their right to vote. 76 74.51%
No, I don't believe a citizen's right to own a firearm is as important as their right to vote. 26 25.49%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 03:51 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
you really cant claim you need weapons to fend of the army AND claim that same army is us citizens and will NOT attack you...duh!
Nobody said anything about need, I don't need anything. I choose to own firearms to protect my home, my family, myself and anything else that I choose to protect. I served and I took an oath to defend the US Constitution, I didn't take an oath to defend a political party, a special interest group or any specific US state. I would never take up arms against US citizens who are defending their rights protected by the US Constitution, I wouldn't have done it when I was in uniform and I wouldn't do it now. I also have no doubt that that there are many members of the armed forces who would, and I'd have no problem defending myself against them if they tried something. Based on my time in the service and the people I served with, I think those that would blindly follow orders would be outnumbered about 4:1 by people like myself who would stand with the American people in a fight against a tyrannical government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 04:08 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,601,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Nobody said anything about need, I don't need anything. I choose to own firearms to protect my home, my family, myself and anything else that I choose to protect. I served and I took an oath to defend the US Constitution, I didn't take an oath to defend a political party, a special interest group or any specific US state. I would never take up arms against US citizens who are defending their rights protected by the US Constitution, I wouldn't have done it when I was in uniform and I wouldn't do it now. I also have no doubt that that there are many members of the armed forces who would, and I'd have no problem defending myself against them if they tried something. Based on my time in the service and the people I served with, I think those that would blindly follow orders would be outnumbered about 4:1 by people like myself who would stand with the American people in a fight against a tyrannical government.
it is implied that it would be the army...but who knows...i would love to believe that the military would not come for citizens...but the question may be how would they frame the attack on citizenry???

i really don't think there would be any honesty just a big hyped-up story?? how many would belive and follow orders is the question

Old 03-01-2019, 04:16 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
Being a retired U.S. Army senior NCO, I can attest that the Army isn't a brainless drone that follows illegal orders from any civilian or military leaders.

The President and all the Generals are powerless with out their Privates and Sergeants executing their orders.

I'm pretty sure it would be the same in both the Navy and Air Force.

Last edited by bergun; 03-01-2019 at 04:32 PM..

Old 03-01-2019, 04:31 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,737 times
Where is the option for, "more important than voting rights"?

Old 03-01-2019, 04:34 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Do you think the military is made up of drones with no sense of right or wrong? Who do you think is in the military? Sheesh.
I was under the impression that the military is supposed to follow government orders without fail.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:35 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
How else do you propose to keep your right to vote, in the face of those trying to take it away?
And how is your right to vote being taken away? I feel my right is quite safe..

Old 03-01-2019, 04:38 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If the government really decided to go rogue, the average civilian and their little gun collection wouldn't stand a chance against the most powerful military on the planet.
In spite of your fondest wish/dream the American military would immediately fragment should someone order them to start confiscation of privately owned firearms...launching this country into a unprecedented civil war ................

Old 03-01-2019, 04:39 PM

57,313 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
How else do you propose to keep your right to vote, in the face of those trying to take it away?
I'm more concerned about gerry-mandering and other abuses since they diluted the voter rights act. I don't see anyone trying to physically taking away votes.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:41 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
In spite of your fondest wish/dream the American military would immediately fragment should someone order them to start confiscation of privately owned firearms...launching this country into a unprecedented civil war ................
Um, I would certainly hope that the military would refuse to carry out dictatorial orders (including civilian firearm confiscation).

But I'm not sure many would. Humans tend to fear directly defying authority.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:50 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Um, I would certainly hope that the military would refuse to carry out dictatorial orders (including civilian firearm confiscation).

But I'm not sure many would. Humans tend to fear directly defying authority.
The "humans" I have known, have not been so meek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies