Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should News Organizations censor Presidential Profanity?
Yes 11 20.37%
No 38 70.37%
Other 5 9.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 11:17 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times

Advertisements

I would not care if they edited Trump himself out of the news.

He doesn't act like a president. He doesn't speak like a president. His tweets are embarrassing and immature, even by high school standards.

Why should they cover him like a president?

Old 03-03-2019, 11:19 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't watch or listen to trump so I have no idea what he said. I don't know why there would be a double standard though, to edit out swearing on certain shows & not during news programs & vice versa.
Years ago, the time of day factored into how much FCC censorship was going on, I think it was after 10pm and the restrictions were more lax on language and content, I guess they figured young kids would not be watching tv at those times, so it was permitted.

I remember watching movies on network tv back in the 80s and into the 90s, if they were on late night or overnight, they would show more nudity and allow language, being a young boy at the time, this was VERY important! A friend and I stayed up late one night to watch 'Blame it on Rio' on network tv...we only wanted to see the nudity!

Old 03-03-2019, 11:21 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Show me a child who can sit through any 2 hour speech.

You missed the point entirely.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:21 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Show me a child who can sit through any 2 hour speech.
I certainly would never torture myself by listening to a Trump speech, but I did see clips of his profanity-laden speech on several news shows. So it wouldn't be necessary for children to be present to be exposed to it. And if they live in a Trump household, they will grow up believing this is how a president is supposed to act.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:41 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Times have changed, its fairly common to hear the F word among professionals today.

And you are proud of how low we have become ? When the President of this country needs bleeped, it says a whole lot about where we are today.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:04 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
At the CPAC conference Trump used profanity. Some networks bleeped it out, some did not.

It was not the first time nor will not be the last.

We all know that Trump has so lowered the bar for presidential conduct that Andrew Dice Clay would fit right at home in the Oval Office. I digress.

Personally we are all adults. If children hear it, sobeit. He is their president as well. They should be exposed to Trump and see him for who he is. Parents can explain what he means to them.

Should presidential profanity be edited out or bleeped out of news stories?
Having nothing to do with president Trump, in my view all profanity should be edited by news organizations, whether it is a nobody, or a politician.

Our society/culture has slipped enough from a civility and decency standpoint, to one of crassness and routine vulgarity.
For example, it was not that long ago that young boys were admonished from cursing in front of girls, and the girls themselves would choose not to hang with such rude and vulgar boys.
That tradition carried over to adults to where young men would curse among themselves, but not mixed company.
Yet now days not only are the young boys cursing in front of the girls, the girls are curing themselves.
If the media and news starts allowing vulgarity, so called "wardrobe malfunctions", etc., we will have no chance of returning to a more decent and respectful society.

`

Old 03-03-2019, 01:06 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Years ago, the time of day factored into how much FCC censorship was going on, I think it was after 10pm and the restrictions were more lax on language and content, I guess they figured young kids would not be watching tv at those times, so it was permitted.

I remember watching movies on network tv back in the 80s and into the 90s, if they were on late night or overnight, they would show more nudity and allow language, being a young boy at the time, this was VERY important! A friend and I stayed up late one night to watch 'Blame it on Rio' on network tv...we only wanted to see the nudity!
Lol, I love that movie for some reason. If you have Roku, it's available to watch on TubiTV channel.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:21 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't agree with using foul language in mixed company. I don't use it at all and I view people that use it all the time as not that smart because they are using curse words to fill in the blanks in their minds.

I think Trump used the words for emphasis. I do think that kids should be protected from foul words for as long as they can but given the day and age we live in, where morals have been tossed out in favor of doing whatever you want when you want our kids are being exposed to more and more at earlier ages. Turn on your cable TV any time of the day and you can find naughty words being thrown about, murders and naked people engaged in sex acts. Even a lot of modern music that kids listen today features such things.

I do agree that our Presidents should stick to a higher standard but Trump can't help himself when he gets on a roll like at the recent rally. Trump is not Presidential but he really connects with the common man in his supporters. That is part of the reason he won the election.
Trump connects with trash.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:59 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I certainly would never torture myself by listening to a Trump speech, but I did see clips of his profanity-laden speech on several news shows. So it wouldn't be necessary for children to be present to be exposed to it. And if they live in a Trump household, they will grow up believing this is how a president is supposed to act.
That eruption of words out of Trump's mouth preceded by groping the flag was in no way a a speech.

It was a stream of consciousness spewing of all the pent up anger Trump has had since the Cohen hearing.

Frankly, in the clips I saw Trump appeared to be rather unhinged to put it mildly. Cuckoo is more like it.

Man on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:10 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
I voted "Other"--the networks shouldn't have to be trying to decide whether or not to censor the POTUS's words. The POTUS shouldn't be using language like that in his speeches.

And before anybody does the whole, "Oh, you're so offended" bit--no. I was in the Army. I can (and do) swear like a blue steak. But I also watch my language in cases where I know it's not appropriate. I don't swear at work, nor in front of small children (and yes, I know they may hear it from other sources. But I will not be one of those sources.) It's called being adult enough to know that not every occasion calls for swearing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies