Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 11:20 AM

193 posts, read 69,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I want to know what "abortion after birth" is.
Gov. Ralph Northam took it a step further by advocating for abortion after delivery.

"If a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen. The infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that's what the mother and the family desired. And then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother.

I think this is what they were referring to, Gov Northam implied in this statement when commenting about the bill that if a baby is born before the mother has a chance to abort it or survived the abortion then the mother and Dr would "discuss" what to do with it I.E allow it to survive or not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 11:21 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Once again, the purpose of the Bill of Rights is to protect us from government.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:32 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
"Fee speech" would be 30 seconds of air time during superbowl halftime.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:37 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
Gov. Ralph Northam took it a step further by advocating for abortion after delivery.

"If a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen. The infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that's what the mother and the family desired. And then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother.

I think this is what they were referring to, Gov Northam implied in this statement when commenting about the bill that if a baby is born before the mother has a chance to abort it or survived the abortion then the mother and Dr would "discuss" what to do with it I.E allow it to survive or not
You forgot the part that Northam was talking about a baby with a lethal defect and/or a very premature baby.

Many babies with lethal defects, or very premature babies, whether born naturally or via an abortion, do live for a time following delivery. And again, whether born naturally or via an abortion, the parents must make the decision whether to go all out to keep the baby alive for as long as possible, often knowing that in the end it is overwhelmingly likely to be a futile effort, or to let the baby go. This is an option we have because of modern medicine. Either way, it's an immensely difficult decision to have to make.

I simply can't imagine why the same people who claim that the government is incompetent at everything nevertheless think that the government should control this decision, but oh well.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:41 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
It may be privately owned, but if some users are treated differently than others due to the former's political beliefs, then something is wrong.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:44 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
It may be privately owned, but if some users are treated differently than others due to the former's political beliefs, then something is wrong.
'Unfairness' can be very subjective. Don't like the regulation/moderation of a particular social media platform? Try another.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:46 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Your thread is a fail from the first sentence op. The first amendment only applies to the government restricting your speech.
Any private citizen can tell you to shut up whenever they please.
Anytime.
Anytime at all....
This is the obviously correct answer, however there is a bigger issue.

Many of these platforms have accounts from state, local, or federal government, first responders, and utility companies and they use them as the primary distribution method for critical, and sometimes very serious notifications. I would argue that the major platforms should at least have a requirement (instead of a flat out ban/account closed) to allow a read only type account for critical updates from those agencies so that an individual's life is not put in jeopardy over a silly political disagreement.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:46 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
Can a so called social platform be sued for impeding on free speech. Speech that is not illegal by American Standards. Do you ever feel like others can say hurtful things and get away with it always while those who support America are always having their speech clipped. For example. If a person thinks that full term abortion is wrong. Can we say that on a social platform? If one is harrassed because he thinks that abortion after birth is bad can he sue the platform? If a teenageer goes on to a social platform like Twitter and says that he supports President Trump and he gets bullied and harassed and threatened. Can he sue the platform?
If a platform has protected status then maybe there is something wrong with that if they cannot be fair to all.
Please read the first amendment, and let me know exactly where it says anything about private enterprise?

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Google is your friend.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:52 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,430,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
'Unfairness' can be very subjective. Don't like the regulation/moderation of a particular social media platform? Try another.
There are patterns that are noticeable. If a platform is inconsistent in it's rules and moderation, then it should be called out. If twatter wants to be an exclusive far-left platform, then they should present themselves as such.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:56 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post

He talked about palliative care for those with serious birth defects, but do keep the outrage going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies