Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 04:41 PM

19,266 posts, read 17,138,742 times

Advertisements

Actually I used to believe that the EC should be eliminated and then the infamous Hanging Chad debacle of the 2000 election and my view changed. If we selected our president based on popular vote it would be a 5 year process till all the counts, recounts, re-recount and legal motions were settled. Using the EC allows each state to count their ballots and have their reps vote based on the returns there are only 5 cases where the EC went opposite the popular vote and 3 of those were in the 19th century.

This is just another example of "were a bigger states votes should count more" or "were bigger we should have more senators than the smaller states". The system is in place and for now works, people are just having a pissy meltdown because the election didn't turn out the way they wanted. Pick a candidate that doesn't revolt so many people and maybe your party will win next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 04:54 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,699,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
For all the people who fell asleep in civics class...
1: There are 3,141 counties in the United States. Trump won 3,084 of them. Clinton won 57.
2: There are 62 counties in New York State. Trump won 46 of them. Clinton won 16.
3: Clinton won the popular vote by approx. 1.5 million votes.
4: In the 5 counties that encompass NYC, (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Richmond & Queens) Clinton received well over 2 million more votes than Trump. (Clinton only won 4 of these counties; Trump won Richmond) Therefore these 5 counties alone, more than accounted for Clinton winning the popular vote of the entire country.
5: These 5 counties comprise 319 square miles. The United States is comprised of 3,797,000 square miles.
6: When you have a country that encompasses almost 4 million square miles of territory, it would be ludicrous to even suggest that the vote of those who inhabit a mere 319 square miles should dictate the outcome of a national election.
Large, densely populated Democrat cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, etc) don’t & shouldn’t speak for the rest of the country.
And this children is WHY you have an Electoral College. It's a safety net so that EVERYONE's vote counts.

Only the coasts would elect the president if we didn't have it.
I get it. You are saying that weeds and deserts should vote. Right?

Old 03-06-2019, 04:57 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,506,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I get it. You are saying that weeds and deserts should vote. Right?
Yes, and so should states with lots of farmland that grow the food you eat.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:11 PM

7,816 posts, read 6,402,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The Constitution says, "We the people...", NOT "We the counties...."

If 90% of the US population lives in one county then that one county should decide the presidency. It's called democracy. Democracy is about people... not counties. Otherwise, you'd have 10% of the population deciding who the president is.

Then the other 10% of the country have no reason to remain in the union and may decide to turn off the food and the power.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Yes, and so should states with lots of farmland that grow the food you eat.
Much of the food I eat is labeled as being from other countries..should they get votes also? Maybe you want corporations to get more votes....based on the profit they make?

Sorry, that one doesn't compute. Those people get Representative in Congress. They get State Governments and Local Government and everything else.

I'm not pushing the point either way - I think many other forms of government beat our "winner takes all, even with cheating, mistakes, etc." way.

Whatever we have been doing...it's not working. So change might be good.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:22 PM

26,579 posts, read 14,478,417 times
"The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy."

-Donald J. Trump, Nov 6, 2012

Old 03-06-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Then the other 10% of the country have no reason to remain in the union and may decide to turn off the food and the power.
Well, I hope California doesn't decide to stop growing produce...good stuff from there.

And I doubt WA. is going to turn off the hydropower...or Canada either (we get a lot from them)....

Come back when you have actual facts.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:34 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,965,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Republicans need the electoral vote these days, there'd never be another republican president without it.
And herein lies the wisdom of the Founding Fathers. They set it up where one faction did not control the election of the President. Brilliant men.

Last edited by Scotty011; 03-06-2019 at 05:49 PM..

Old 03-06-2019, 05:34 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,922,286 times
Quote:
For all the people who fell asleep in civics class...
1: There are 3,141 counties in the United States. Trump won 3,084 of them. Clinton won 57.
2: There are 62 counties in New York State. Trump won 46 of them. Clinton won 16.
3: Clinton won the popular vote by approx. 1.5 million votes.
4: In the 5 counties that encompass NYC, (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Richmond & Queens) Clinton received well over 2 million more votes than Trump. (Clinton only won 4 of these counties; Trump won Richmond) Therefore these 5 counties alone, more than accounted for Clinton winning the popular vote of the entire country.
5: These 5 counties comprise 319 square miles. The United States is comprised of 3,797,000 square miles.
6: When you have a country that encompasses almost 4 million square miles of territory, it would be ludicrous to even suggest that the vote of those who inhabit a mere 319 square miles should dictate the outcome of a national election.
Large, densely populated Democrat cities (NYC, Chicago, LA, etc) don’t & shouldn’t speak for the rest of the country.
And this children is WHY you have an Electoral College. It's a safety net so that EVERYONE's vote counts.

Only the coasts would elect the president if we didn't have it.
Does land vote?

Also, those values aren't correct.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:33 PM

3,172 posts, read 2,225,015 times
Quote:
Are you saying only 41 counties in the whole country outside of New York voted for Clinton?

See the linked map - colors are inverted (blue for Trump, red for Clinton) but there are way more than 57 counties that she carried nationwide.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/...elect=0&size=1

I'm not even especially opposed to the Electoral College nor do I identify as a liberal. But writing mis-information like in point # 1 of the original post serves no constructive purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies