Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 12:45 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,802,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Is it possible in your haste, you may have misunderstood the administrator’s remark about being proud of the student?

It had nothing to do with reciting the pledge or taking a knee. It had all to do with a kid sticking up for himself and reporting the inappropriate remark made by the substitute teacher.
Yep, plus the student is Special Needs. So the substitute was way over the line. In the first place, the article notes that the school doesn't require all students to recite the Pledge to begin with, although they do all stand (apparently). The school's spokesperson's remarks indicate that there's a fair number of foreign-born students in the school system - so the substitute's remarks are further out of the norm than otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 12:54 PM

Default Out of the mouth of babes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
I believe this teacher was way more than "out of bounds" for telling a child to "go back to Mexico". Racism should not be tolerated by anyone teaching our kids.
Well, ethnic prejudice, anyway.

But in general, Yes - teachers teach by what they say, & also by how they react to students & the classroom environment in general. This former substitute clearly didn't understand the limits of what she could & could not legitimately say in class, under color of her role as a teacher.

She also went off on a Special Needs (Special Education?) student - which is very much a bad example. & certainly not what the school district expects from their credentialed instructional personnel.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Is it possible in your haste, you may have misunderstood the administrator’s remark about being proud of the student?

It had nothing to do with reciting the pledge or taking a knee. It had all to do with a kid sticking up for himself and reporting the inappropriate remark made by the substitute teacher.
I understand the kid sticking up for himself. Good for him but if he did refuse to say the pledge I am on the side of the teacher. No I may not have reacted the way the teacher did, but I totally agree, every child shold stand for the pledge and should recite it. Have you heard of the American way?

Old 03-08-2019, 01:11 PM

Default Special Education is highly regulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
So this is where we are at today in this country. All it takes is a student to say a teacher did something and without any proof whatsoever they are fired. We are circling the drain as a society. We can't last much longer going in this direction.
The article in the URL indicates that the substitute was removed from the classroom that same day, & was later terminated. So there's an implication that there was an investigation. & presumably the other students @ the pledge, & any other adults (& who knows? Camera/microphone footage?) were interviewed or reviewed.

If the substitute went along with the investigation & termination, Does that mean she agrees with the outcome? If she disagrees with the termination, she can try to get her job back. But that means going through some kind of due process, likely through arbitration or the courts. If the other students &/or witnesses corroborate what the first student stated, then she's not likely going to get her job back.

The article also says that the student is Special Needs. If that's Special Education, then any kind of reassigning him (change of class, school, classification) requires a mandatory case conference - gathering his teacher of record, parents, the student, any other teachers, pathologist, speech therapist, any other attending professionals, plus the parents can bring along professional help, & a representative of the school principal. They meet, review progress to date against planned progress, test evaluations, & future plans & assignment.

Even if merely venting, the substitute should have known about this process, & known that her remark to the student would have very ugly repercussions. It's her lack of awareness - she didn't know he was Special Needs? She didn't know the Special Needs protocols? that I think resulted in her removal from the classroom & then her termination.

Last edited by southwest88; 03-08-2019 at 02:05 PM..

Old 03-08-2019, 01:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I understand the kid sticking up for himself. Good for him but if he did refuse to say the pledge I am on the side of the teacher. No I may not have reacted the way the teacher did, but I totally agree, every child shold stand for the pledge and should recite it. Have you heard of the American way?
Yes, it's called the first amendment.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:50 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
The article in the URL indicates that the substituted was removed from the classroom that same day, & was later terminated. So there's an implication that there was an investigation. & presumably the other students @ the pledge, & any other adults (& who knows? Camera/microphone footage?) were interviewed or reviewed.

If the substitute went along with the investigation & termination, Does that mean she agrees with the outcome? If she disagrees with the termination, she can try to get her job back. But that means going through some kind of due process, likely through arbitration or the courts. If the other students &/or witnesses corroborate what the first student stated, then she's not likely going to get her job back.

The article also says that the student is Special Needs. If that's Special Education, then any kind of reassigning him (change of class, school, classification) requires a mandatory case conference - gathering his teacher of record, parents, the student, any other teachers, pathologist, speech therapist, any other attending professionals, plus the parents can bring along professional help, & a representative of the school principal. They meet, review progress to date against planned progress, test evaluations, & future plans & assignment.

Even if merely venting, the substitute should have known about this process, & known that her remark to the student would have very ugly repercussions. It's her lack of awareness - she didn't know he was Special Needs? She didn't know the Special Needs protocols? that I think resulted in her removal from the classroom & then her termination.
The article is so short on facts it's hilarious anyone here thinks they know what actually happened. You have no idea if anything you posted is even true or even happened like that. There is no due process in one day like that. Something is off about this and yahoo lifestyle or whatever that was is a pot stirring site.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes, it's called the first amendment.
lol, like I said earlier, SCOTUS decided in 1943 - 1943, not even recently - that students do not have to stand for the Pledge. "The American way" would be supporting the Constitution and the freedoms it grants, which provides First Amendment rights to expression - which includes NOT reciting the Pledge.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:20 PM

Default Call the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
But many Mexicans come here and yet do not consider themselves Americans and are not loyal to this country. Several California schools have barred students from wearing American flag clothes because Mexican students were offended and they didn't want violence to occur. Mexicans are offended by the American flag the way some misinformed and brainwashed blacks are offended by the Confederate flag.
Of course Mexicans are Americans. Mexico is located in North America, in the New World. Unless you mean by Americans - citizens of the US? That's confusing, when you're talking about countries in the New World, to say America & mean the US.

Only misinformed and brainwashed blacks are offended by the Confederate flag? (& which flag is that, anyway?) I'm guessing that most Blacks - & lots of other people - are offended by what's often called the Confederate flag.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:30 PM

Default The article is just bare facts, from what I see

Quote:
The article is so short on facts it's hilarious anyone here thinks they know what actually happened. You have no idea if anything you posted is even true or even happened like that. There is no due process in one day like that. Something is off about this and yahoo lifestyle or whatever that was is a pot stirring site.
The article says the substitute was pulled from the classroom on the day of the incident. & says she is "now fired from the district." That sounds like the termination happened later, not on the same day as the incident. I would expect that a thorough review would take some time.

& the substitute can dispute the termination, if she wants to.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:18 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
and yet you are the one who is upset over due process...

We can all see what you were doing Dbones, you did not like the kid getting someone you identify with fired, so you made up a weak sauce excuse to attack.

You also seemed to have completely missed that conservatism in not just about Trump. Traditionally conservatives are the first inline to defend that boys right to NOT say a pledge. That is what real freedom is.

But today's Trumpy conservatives are not about individual rights, citizen rights, they are about stomping on the rights of anyone and everyone they deem not part of TRumpland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies