Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:39 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times

Advertisements

This is funny. They have to dumb down the teleprompter for Bush so he can pronounce words correctly in speeches.

When Bush addressed the U.N. General Assembly on Tuesday, the White House inadvertently showed exactly how -- with a phonetic pronunciation guide on the teleprompter to get him past troublesome names of countries and world leaders.

The White House was left scrambling to explain after a marked-up draft of Bush's speech popped up briefly on the U.N. Web site as he delivered his remarks, giving a rare glimpse of the special guidance he gets for major addresses.

When words get in the way, Bush goes phonetic - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
This is funny. They have to dumb down the teleprompter for Bush so he can pronounce words correctly in speeches.

When Bush addressed the U.N. General Assembly on Tuesday, the White House inadvertently showed exactly how -- with a phonetic pronunciation guide on the teleprompter to get him past troublesome names of countries and world leaders.

The White House was left scrambling to explain after a marked-up draft of Bush's speech popped up briefly on the U.N. Web site as he delivered his remarks, giving a rare glimpse of the special guidance he gets for major addresses.

When words get in the way, Bush goes phonetic - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Just another non-story but I guess it makes some people feel better writing or reading these things.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:28 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Just another non-story but I guess it makes some people feel better writing or reading these things.
Good point, and I'll add by the looks of the words, I'd have needed the same help.

Guess the guy's human after all, eh?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Good point, and I'll add by the looks of the words, I'd have needed the same help.

Guess the guy's human after all, eh?
You are right - it is too much to ask our President to spend a few minutes to learn how to pronounce those "tricky" words of countries and Foreign Presidents. He is so busy spreading Freedom around the world, who has the time, right?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:43 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,890,225 times
Quote:
You are right - it is too much to ask our President to spend a few minutes to learn how to pronounce those "tricky" words of countries and Foreign Presidents. He is so busy spreading Freedom around the world, who has the time, right?
Just stating my opinion, dude. We all have that right. I'm pretty clear on your views on this and it seems fairly obvious that even minuscule stories like this pull the bush bashers out in force. I'm just saying that if I had to criticize the president of my country on something, I'd probably pick something else than the fact that he has difficulty with foreign words on the list you provided.

Again Mike said it best, I should have just used the 'prompter' he provided for me the first time....let me not miss the second opportunity......
Quote:

Old 09-26-2007, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Just stating my opinion, dude. We all have that right. I'm pretty clear on your views on this and it seems fairly obvious that even minuscule stories like this pull the bush bashers out in force. I'm just saying that if I had to criticize the president of my country on something, I'd probably pick something else than the fact that he has difficulty with foreign words on the list you provided.

Again Mike said it best, I should have just used the 'prompter' he provided for me the first time....let me not miss the second opportunity......

Well said Alpha8207...err...Mike!!

Old 09-26-2007, 09:56 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
It is common practice to have a phonetic list of hard to pronounce names, etc. for speeches and broadcasting.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:07 AM

223 posts, read 604,365 times
Quote:
A non-story...maybe...we all knew he was a half-wit.

Is it funny that the leader of the free-world is "Hooked on Phonics" - YES

Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,142,497 times
If that helps him, fine. I wish he knew more than he does and had a better understanding of the world around him, but I won't fault him for trying to state things correctly.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:56 PM

989 posts, read 2,762,537 times
I'm not a big fan of Bush's speeches, but I do think it is important that our nation (represented by Bush) at least properly pronounces the names of other countries and their leaders. Maybe Bush needed a few more prompts than most, but I'm sure that all other leaders have done something similar at some point.

I would much rather see this than GW mangle a name of someone important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies