Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 10:38 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,911,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This is why I don't support taxpayer money being used to grant vouchers for private schools. They are free to discriminate against anyone for any reason. I don't want my tax dollars funding classism and discrimination.
The reason I am against SNAP that money can be spent anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 10:46 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,576,004 times
The Catholic Church and its institutions are big on protecting children in the womb. They turn their back on them with acts like this along with ignoring sexual abuse after they are born. Shame on Catholics for allowing hypocrites to control their religion.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:48 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,650,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
This is why the church is dying.
Could you provide some sort of evidence of this? I mean, according to pretty much every search I perform on the subject, roughly 30 to 35% of the population of this planet identify as Christians. And of those, about 1.3 billion are Catholics. Also, if the church or "religion" is dying, then why is it that only about 16% of the people on this planet are non-religious, while the other 84% remain committed to one faith or another. The church is absolutely not going anywhere. People who aren't affiliated at all with any form of religion are an extreme minority both in this country and on this planet. Hatred/dislike for the church and/or the rules which they have existed under for hundreds if not thousands of years is also a minority view/opinion and will never actually result in the demise of the Catholic Church or any church/religion for that matter. If you don't like their rules/opinions, step aside and respect their rights to live under different rules than you may choose to live under yourself. This whole idea that everything and everyone must change to make a minority group of people happy is ridiculous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...us_populations

http://www.fides.org/en/news/64944-V...TATISTICS_2018

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...n_2323664.html

Old 03-09-2019, 10:49 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,937,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Not a surprise to anyone who knows the Catholic Church
And it could happen to those run by Methodist Churches since that church seems moving more conservative in its attitudes...
For Baptists I bet it happens a lot too except most same sex parents would know how their child would be received and likely not even try to get in...
So prejudice is allowed to persist because it is not challenged

Not a public school so guess they can discriminate

Old 03-09-2019, 10:50 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,885,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
If anyone read the Rev.'s letter it might shed a little light on his approach to this. Like it or not there are rules in the Catholic church that they must follow and the diocese is in control and none of this will change overnight. No matter how much you want it to do so.
Priests molesting thousands upon thousands of children for decades without consequence? No problem, says the diocese. Just move them around and let them continue their molestation.

Allowing a child of same sex parents into kindergarten? HORRORS, says the diocese!! That goes against the church's teaching! Can't have that! What will people think???

Weak sauce, redwood.

This is why I left the Catholic church when I was a teen.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:56 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,126,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Could you provide some sort of evidence of this? I mean, according to pretty much every search I perform on the subject, roughly 30 to 35% of the population of this planet identify as Christians. And of those, about 1.3 billion are Catholics. Also, if the church or "religion" is dying, then why is it that only about 16% of the people on this planet are non-religious, while the other 84% remain committed to one faith or another. The church is absolutely not going anywhere. People who aren't affiliated at all with any form of religion are an extreme minority both in this country and on this planet. Hatred/dislike for the church and/or the rules which they have existed under for hundreds if not thousands of years is also a minority view/opinion and will never actually result in the demise of the Catholic Church or any church/religion for that matter. If you don't like their rules/opinions, step aside and respect their rights to live under different rules than you may choose to live under yourself. This whole idea that everything and everyone must change to make a minority group of people happy is ridiculous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...us_populations

VATICAN - CATHOLIC CHURCH STATISTICS 2018 - Agenzia Fides

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...n_2323664.html
Church attendance in the United States is plummeting. The church in my hometown was converted to a restaurant and another demolished.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/232226/...ard-slide.aspx

Old 03-09-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
Church attendance in the United States is plummeting. The church in my hometown was converted to a restaurant and another demolished.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/232226/...ard-slide.aspx
The diocese has been closing and consolidating parishes in Chicago in large numbers for several decades now. When I was growing up there was a Catholic church and grammar school and/or high school in every neighborhood, often more than one. Now most of the parishes I knew growing up are gone--closed and/or consolidated with other parishes. I attended Mass with my parents a year or so back and the pews were mostly empty, and mostly filled with grey heads.

The U.S. Catholic Church is definitely dying. And crap like this will only hasten their demise. As a recovering Catholic I say good riddance.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:16 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,389,678 times
Years ago, a relative of mine lost her teaching position in a Catholic school after divorcing her abusive husband. It was a terrible blow to her. She felt completely abandoned by the church. I feel awful for this child, but I also believe that it will be damaging to remain in a setting that undermines the validity of his family structure. Other churches, like mine, would welcome this family. As difficult as it may be, it’s in the best interest of the child for the family to move on.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:54 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,815,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Priests molesting thousands upon thousands of children for decades without consequence? No problem, says the diocese. Just move them around and let them continue their molestation.

Allowing a child of same sex parents into kindergarten? HORRORS, says the diocese!! That goes against the church's teaching! Can't have that! What will people think???

Weak sauce, redwood.

This is why I left the Catholic church when I was a teen.
Good for you. You have to do what's best for you. Doesn't change what I said.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Good for you. Doesn't change what I said.
I was actually not disagreeing with you. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the diocese, that would brush off their own complicity in the sexual abuse of thousands of children at their own hands, but be appalled at the idea of a child of a same sex couple being worthy of going to their school. The Catholic Church deserves to die off on this basis alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies