Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 06:20 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times

Advertisements

https://www.uclalawreview.org/living...affluent-city/

https://www.brookings.edu/research/c...-through-2016/

Odd, how overwhelmingly Republican's Utah has three of it's largest metropolitan areas that are most equal in the country thanks to the Republican legislature and Republican governor.

I have been in the Ogden and Provo and a vast majority works together for a common cause. Utah has a tremendous amount of upward mobility with a massive labor shortage that causes employers to give people a chance to prove themselves and work them selves up like generations ago.

Los Angeles and NYC are all about connections, manipulation and superficial appearance. It would be laughable for people to work together and the massive population cause a dog eat dog atmosphere, sink or swim.

On a separate note a new UCLA study says "Los Angeles is one of the most equal cities in the world".

The housing costs are so high that 2 out of 5 people in the city are considered low-income by HUD.

Big cities in America seem to be very close to becoming Rio De Janiero with it's filthy favela's for the underclass, except in LA the favela's are tents all over the sidewalks and streets with a small percentage of population living in mansions and luxurious penthouses.

Last edited by lovecrowds; 03-10-2019 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 06:26 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
It might have something more to do with the influence of the Church of Latter Day Saints than with Republicanism. Don’t confuse the two. Note that I’m not arguing the conservatism of the state, but rather pointing out that Utahn economics is intimately tied to the what church teaching promotes.

Now, why do you continue to beat this anti-California drum? We’re all aware of what you think, so what’s the purpose here? What are getting out of this?

Old 03-10-2019, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It might have something more to do with the influence of the Church of Latter Day Saints than with Republicanism. Don’t confuse the two. Note that I’m not arguing the conservatism of the state, but rather pointing out that Utahn economics is intimately tied to the what church teaching promotes.

Now, why do you continue to beat this anti-California drum? We’re all aware of what you think, so what’s the purpose here? What are getting out of this?
California is a one-party controlled Democratic state and it showcases what will happen if were to gain control of Presidency, Senate, House.

Voting for Democrats is a vote for a failing education system where the unions control the system, crapcare that constitutes cruel and unusual punishment with filthy hospitals and long waits and skyrocketing unfunded pension liabilities used as an excuse to confiscate people's paychecks so they become desperate from all the tax confiscation.

They say one thing and do another.

The Universal Medicare they propose, will be universal crapcare. The hospitals will be overwhelmed with pregnant iilegal aliens consuming the resources, while American's will be told to wait for even emergency services.

Democrats are nothing more than selling fantasies at this time. What they promise and the results are completely different.

The health care, day care, primary and higher education will fail very quickly if they are takeover.

They have no interest equality. They lie to voters and promise them things redistributed to them if they vote for them with tax payers or debt.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:40 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,409 times
I think a large part of it, if you look at the numbers from the Brookings link, is that you don't see sky-high wages in those cities. Provo doesn't have the kind of jobs that pay millions per year - at least not enough of them to boost the top average number.

They've also been experiencing tremendous sprawl in terms of housing and real estate. We went back (I grew up in Provo) two summers ago, and I wouldn't have recognized some of the areas had it not been for street addresses. It was kind of repulsive, actually. Like ant colonies. All the towns are running together, with no open space between. Provo is now often called the Provo/Orem area, and there's pretty much a steady line of housing developments and commercial sites all the way from Provo to SLC.

They're already running into traffic issues, and as the available, empty land reaches an end, look for housing prices to start rising. In turn, COL will rise, and wages will have to rise as well.

Add to that, UT is experiencing an influx of illegal immigrants, which will drive down low-end wages. I give them a decade before it all starts to decline.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I think a large part of it, if you look at the numbers from the Brookings link, is that you don't see sky-high wages in those cities. Provo doesn't have the kind of jobs that pay millions per year - at least not enough of them to boost the top average number.

They've also been experiencing tremendous sprawl in terms of housing and real estate. We went back (I grew up in Provo) two summers ago, and I wouldn't have recognized some of the areas had it not been for street addresses. It was kind of repulsive, actually. Like ant colonies. All the towns are running together, with no open space between. Provo is now often called the Provo/Orem area, and there's pretty much a steady line of housing developments and commercial sites all the way from Provo to SLC.

They're already running into traffic issues, and as the available, empty land reaches an end, look for housing prices to start rising. In turn, COL will rise, and wages will have to rise as well.

Add to that, UT is experiencing an influx of illegal immigrants, which will drive down low-end wages. I give them a decade before it all starts to decline.
What percent of people in LA make millions a year?

There are more but it is more than made up by the massive, massive underclass in the city that has no chance of upward economic mobility.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:45 PM

73,003 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:

Said person is going to keep complaining about California and liberals until blue in the face. Utah is a Republican state, but it's a different strain of Republican compared to what you find in Mississippi or Alabama.

Old 03-10-2019, 06:51 PM

73,003 posts, read 62,578,805 times
I checked out that list. The cities with the least amount of inequality(city limits) included: Oxnard, CA(liberal and a California city), Columbus, OH;Riverside,CA;Des Moines,IA. Those are liberal areas.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:50 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:

Could be just the satisfaction of getting under the skin of people who disagree with him.

I think it's hilarious that his threads bother people.

I don't see why people would care that he posts theses threads....why people would let it bother them.

The only logical thing I can think of as to why someone would care/be upset/be bothered is a person thinking that there are only certain proper views that people should have, not being sure that they fully subscribe to those supposed proper views, and having lovecrowds' threads cast more uncertainty onto those beliefs.

It seems to me that if people really wanted him to stop, the best way would be to ignore his threads, but that doesn't end up happening.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:00 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
What percent of people in LA make millions a year?

There are more but it is more than made up by the massive, massive underclass in the city that has no chance of upward economic mobility.
I don't disagree. My point was more that it's been the availability of inexpensive land that has, so far, kept housing prices low enough in places like Provo that employers don't have to pay as much in order for people to live there. Now that they're running out of room, I think that will start to change.

The influx of illegals is going to push the inequality along even faster.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:47 AM

141 posts, read 534,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.uclalawreview.org/living...affluent-city/

https://www.brookings.edu/research/c...-through-2016/

Odd, how overwhelmingly Republican's Utah has three of it's largest metropolitan areas that are most equal in the country thanks to the Republican legislature and Republican governor.

I have been in the Ogden and Provo and a vast majority works together for a common cause. Utah has a tremendous amount of upward mobility with a massive labor shortage that causes employers to give people a chance to prove themselves and work them selves up like generations ago.

Los Angeles and NYC are all about connections, manipulation and superficial appearance. It would be laughable for people to work together and the massive population cause a dog eat dog atmosphere, sink or swim.

On a separate note a new UCLA study says "Los Angeles is one of the most equal cities in the world".

The housing costs are so high that 2 out of 5 people in the city are considered low-income by HUD.

Big cities in America seem to be very close to becoming Rio De Janiero with it's filthy favela's for the underclass, except in LA the favela's are tents all over the sidewalks and streets with a small percentage of population living in mansions and luxurious penthouses.
Stupidest thing I've ever read. It deserves no rebuttal or debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies