Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2019, 09:27 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times

Advertisements

The fact we still have people on here convinced these kids did something wrong shows the defamation cases have merit (e.g. harm was done to their reputation from these lies). I think the media outlets who chose to “name and shame” these kids are at greatest risk.

I suspect this one case against Wapo goes to appeal as it does appear the judge decided to dismiss this case based on the very question which should have been put forth before the jury - was this defamation or free speech. Really should have been the jury deciding this and not the judge. As to the other cases, we’ll have to see as some other media outlets were over the top in their rush to call these kids racist or whatnot.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:36 AM

18,473 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The fact we still have people on here convinced these kids did something wrong shows the defamation cases have merit (e.g. harm was done to their reputation from these lies). I think the media outlets who chose to “name and shame” these kids are at greatest risk.

I suspect this one case against Wapo goes to appeal as it does appear the judge decided to dismiss this case based on the very question which should have been put forth before the jury - was this defamation or free speech. Really should have been the jury deciding this and not the judge. As to the other cases, we’ll have to see as some other media outlets were over the top in their rush to call these kids racist or whatnot.
I agree. The only real justice I can see for him, is if someone hires him for a well paying job, BECAUSE of it. That would balance out the negativity many employers will feel. Which I think is definitely a possibility.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:43 AM

8,499 posts, read 6,902,842 times
A good day for the judiciary throwing out another frivolous lawsuit. Poor baby. He and his buddies knowingly placed themselves in a highly contentious public gathering covered by the media. Nice try. But you lose.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:49 AM

18,473 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
A good day for the judiciary throwing out another frivolous lawsuit. Poor baby. He and his buddies knowingly placed themselves in a highly contentious public gathering covered by the media. Nice try. But you lose.
So it is your opinion that high school students should never go to Washington DC for national protests?

If that is your opinion, that is fine. I just wonder if you apply it across the board.

The only thing they are guilty of, is standing there. The trouble came to them, not the other way around.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:54 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,879,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
So it is your opinion that high school students should never go to Washington DC for national protests?

If that is your opinion, that is fine. I just wonder if you apply it across the board.

The only thing they are guilty of, is standing there. The trouble came to them, not the other way around.
And he stayed for, and participated in, the trouble. That was his choice. He doesn't get a multi-million dollar payout for that.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:51 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
Quote:

The only thing they are guilty of, is standing there.

The court agrees with you.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:22 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,363,447 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And he stayed for, and participated in, the trouble. That was his choice. He doesn't get a multi-million dollar payout for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The court agrees with you.
I think it perfectly reasonable for the high school students to be there and to hold their own. They did nothing unreasonable. A good learning experience.

On the other hand they were willing participants actively participating in the ongoing action. It was a newsworthy event and was being covered.

The initial reports were incorrect. But that was quickly fixed by the media.

So I see nothing on either side that would justify a court suit. And I expect all the others will follow the Washington Post suit into the wastebasket.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:45 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,639,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
I'm still convinced, in the end, some networks are going to come off some money for this. I think they just got a judge who doesn't see the big deal in what happened and doesn't want to set a precedent for suing media outlets.
Nope, it's over. Time for you guys to find the next thing to get outraged over.

Old 07-28-2019, 12:19 PM

31,083 posts, read 22,107,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
They kids stood there, in spite of being harassed and taunted by the Black Hebrews, hurtling cuss words and then, a group of Native Americans, and a priest. Then Phillips walks up to the boys pounding his drum, most likely because they were a soft target. Thats it.

I'm sure the real problem you and the Leftist have is with the boys wearing MAGA hats and being Catholic.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:06 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,728,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post

No, the kid did it to himself. He just stood there with that ridiculous smirk on his face, MAGA hat and all. Kid ( and adults who were present) should take responsibility for his actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies