Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 03:18 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

John and Ken(local radio show hosts) have been railing against Governor "Gruesome" about this.

They played audio clips of the dumbass pinhead saying he would go along with the will of the people on this issue and the will of the people has clearly been to keep capital punishment in place.

Not sure why these asshats aren't dragged out onto the streets at times ....he's cleary cleary violating the will of the people here.

I don't understand how these people get away with this stuff.

I'm not a fan of the DP personally, but if it's what the people here want, the governor shouldn't be bypassing the people on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 03:40 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
As far as I know Bernie Sanders never did.
It's true, he hasn't been caught in a lie so maybe he's one of the exceptions. One out of thousands, though. Hope springs eternal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, as long as a murderer is executed, someone has to do it, someone has to press the button. So why not have the family of the victim do it instead of anonymous executioners, who would also be "no better than the murderer himself"?

And that's the very reason why the death penalty is gone in Europe. No matter who does it and how, it is outdated for a civilized world.
But as I said earlier, my idea was for countries that for whatever reason want to hold on to it.
I see your side of it. Personally, I'd rather have prison sentences be life w/o the possibility of parole for truly heinous crimes. Parole after some years, possibly for lesser crimes but, as mentioned so many times both here and in the news, executing possibly someone who is actually innocent is a very sad and irreversible action. As you mentioned Europe, they don't do this any longer and they seem to be surviving. Why can't we? Just food for thought.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:42 PM

21,934 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
The death penalty is a failure because it costs too much, especially in California. Cheaper to house them for the rest of their lives.
Yeah, I have heard that too. Have you ever researched to see if in fact it is true? I used to believe all the lies that the Democrats repeated to me over and over again and take them as fact. Now I question EVERYTHING.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:47 PM

Yes. The information is out there, Grlzrl. Here's one site: https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

Old 03-14-2019, 03:49 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
It's true, he hasn't been caught in a lie so maybe he's one of the exceptions. One out of thousands, though. Hope springs eternal?

I see your side of it. Personally, I'd rather have prison sentences be life w/o the possibility of parole for truly heinous crimes. Parole after some years, possibly for lesser crimes but, as mentioned so many times both here and in the news, executing possibly someone who is actually innocent is a very sad and irreversible action. As you mentioned Europe, they don't do this any longer and they seem to be surviving. Why can't we? Just food for thought.
They mentioned that Californians as such actually support the DP, maybe it also has religious aspects, you know, old testament style, an eye for an eye etc. In Europe the majority are agnostic by now, while in the US the percentage of religious people is much higher. Would be interesting to do a referendum on the DP here in Europe.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:53 PM

388 posts, read 200,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
737 people on death row. I can only imagine the evil that these people did to others in order to get there. They are not sitting there because they are innocent.
actually you would have to imagine, because the way that dna exoneration tends to go, quite a few-- up to hundreds-- of those 737 were probably wrongfully convicted.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
They mentioned that Californians as such actually support the DP, maybe it also has religious aspects, you know, old testament style, an eye for an eye etc. In Europe the majority are agnostic by now, while in the US the percentage of religious people is much higher. Would be interesting to do a referendum on the DP here in Europe.
Times have certainly changed. And it's probably time for this once widely accepted practice of executing people should end. Although ... what I find more disturbing is why some people work so hard to save someone who has done such awful things yet don't seem to give a second thought to ending the life of an unborn baby. Sorry. I won't go further but it's just something that's been nagging at me for a long time.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:05 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,011,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
The death penalty is a failure because it costs too much, especially in California. Cheaper to house them for the rest of their lives.
It's also cheaper to let the robber go and to continue to rob then it is to capture him, prosecute him and incarcerate him if we're gonna go down the "cheap" route.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:11 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Times have certainly changed. And it's probably time for this once widely accepted practice of executing people should end. Although ... what I find more disturbing is why some people work so hard to save someone who has done such awful things yet don't seem to give a second thought to ending the life of an unborn baby. Sorry. I won't go further but it's just something that's been nagging at me for a long time.
I think legal practices are a bit off in general these days. It seems a kind of ego game for lawyers and attorneys, where winning rather than justice is all that matters, i.e. if possible keeping scum out of jail, even when lawyers know their clients are scum.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:13 PM

388 posts, read 200,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
It's also cheaper to let the robber go and to continue to rob then it is to capture him, prosecute him and incarcerate him if we're gonna go down the "cheap" route.
billions of dollars cheaper, kills fewer innocent inmates-- sure, compare it to what you said, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies