Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:17 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times

Advertisements

Don't look now, but it's growing quickly.

Tax cuts/trickle down at work.

Again.

What's that saying about doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 08:23 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
I get the complexity of eliminating such a large debt and the fact it is difficult for any one administration to tackle the problem properly.

But I would like the federal govt. to be more budget conscious. As stated i'm a true fiscal conservative.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:26 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It is true the national debt is not new...but you don't find it interesting Trump doesn't even address the debt anymore?

Use to bother him when Obama was President -- how he's PResident and the debt means nothing.

And I agree -- we elect politicians that are suppose to deal with this debt and they don't.

Thing is -- I've been told repeatedly that conservatives are more 'conservative' fiscally -- and you know what - -that's a crock of bull.

That's the point.

The point is -- don't try and pretend being a conservative is about conservative fiscal policies...it isn't. It's about conservative social policies and that's all.
Trump of course is no true conservative. But he does know debt, at least conventional debt.

National debt is even 'easier', as it is never paid off. And whether Trump knows or not, our federal gov't is monetarily sovereign in the USD. So it never has to be abandoned via the bankruptcy process as we know Trump to be good at.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Private banks printing currency(Fed Res)and wars are the 2 greatest causes of our national debt.
This was why JFK attempted to end the insanity Woodrow Wilson was duped into signing off on.

"Kennedy apparently reasoned that by returning to the constitution, which states that only Congress shall coin and regulate money, the soaring national debt could be reduced by not paying interest to the bankers of the Federal Reserve System, who print paper money then loan it to the government at interest. He moved in this area on June 4, 1963, by signing Executive Order 11,110 which called for the issuance of $4,292,893,815 in United States Notes through the U.S. Treasury rather than the traditional Federal Reserve System. That same day, Kennedy signed a bill changing the backing of one and two dollar bills from silver to gold, adding strength to the weakened U.S. currency"
President Kennedy, Federal Reserve, and Executive Order 11110

Eliminating the Fed Res is the ONLY means to tackle the issue effectively.
Ironically, Kennedy's bill to have the Treasury print currency has never been repealed.
Not one administration since JFK was shot has even considered this option again.
Gee, I wonder why.

Actual printed currency is but a small part of our money and national debt. Most money these days is electronic.

Turning over the money creating process to we the people and our elected officials has been discussed. Few seem to like the idea of politicians making our monetary decisions.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:00 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,061,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Actual printed currency is but a small part of our money and national debt. Most money these days is electronic.

Turning over the money creating process to we the people and our elected officials has been discussed. Few seem to like the idea of politicians making our monetary decisions.

Form of currency is irrelevant, but your second objection is more than valid.
Politicians are not to be trusted in making any decisions.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Form of currency is irrelevant, but your second objection is more than valid.
Politicians are not to be trusted in making any decisions.
'Private banks printing currency'

You mean loans?
You mean that private banking loans cause our national debt to rise?

Old 03-20-2019, 01:33 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,061,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
You mean that private banking loans cause our national debt to rise?

The private loans from the Fed Res to the US Treasury most certainly have; and the reason many Presidents fought against it prior to WW1.

But I cannot imagine personal loans from banks to citizens having much effect(not when compared to the wars the US has borrowed for), barring mass defaults on mortgages etc. Am not an economist here so could be mistaken, as banks always find a means to make up losses on the back end...IE: Great Depression

“I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated Governments in the civilized world no longer a Government by free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men.” -Woodrow Wilson

The Money Masters – Famous Quotations on Banking

Old 03-20-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
The private loans from the Fed Res to the US Treasury most certainly have; and the reason many Presidents fought against it prior to WW1.

But I cannot imagine personal loans from banks to citizens having much effect(not when compared to the wars the US has borrowed for), barring mass defaults on mortgages etc. Am not an economist here so could be mistaken, as banks always find a means to make up losses on the back end...IE: Great Depression

“I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated Governments in the civilized world no longer a Government by free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men.” -Woodrow Wilson

The Money Masters – Famous Quotations on Banking
Where do we have the Fed loaning the Treasury money?

If you mean the QE processes, almost all the related interest payments are swept back to the Treasury. Almost as if the Treasuries were never issued in the first place.

i.e. you can just about subtract any Fed ownership ($2.5T) of national debt from the total.

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/TREAST

Old 03-20-2019, 03:18 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,244 times
National Debt out of Control
This thread should have been started at least 50 years ago.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:20 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,674,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Factoid.
  • USA is 242 years old.
  • Obama is responsible for 33% of the national debt. Did it in just 8 years.
  • Nobody complained while he was doing it.

Not one dime of the national debt has ever been paid back. It's now mathematically impossible to retire the debt.
No one complained?! You must suffer from amnesia if you don’t remember the Tea party... which you probably supported. Of course, when Trump blows up the debt then it’s ok for your ilk. Enjoy hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies