Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 02:10 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Why is it the students are blamed and not the banks who saw this as a way to lend money the government would lean on people to pay back and garnish wages to get for them?

Why not blame it on colleges for charging ridiculous prices for tuition when our society damned near requires a degree for something, even if it's being an auto mechanic?

Why are college students, most of whom began borrowing when they were barely legal adults, the ones who get badmouthed?

Our country sucks sometimes. It really does.
Why blame the students? Because they’re the ones who accepted money and agreed to pay it back. Banks can’t force anyone to take out a loan. Colleges dont force people to attend. They simply provide options. In the end, it’s the students who fail to meet the requirements of the loan agreements, not the banks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 04:23 PM

57,318 posts, read 26,236,916 times
They are rolling back federal oversight of for profit schools at the same time they are proposing loan caps, seems like they are moving in two different directions. They rolled back the gainful employment regulations on for profits, many of these schools have exhibited abusive practices, particularly to military veterans.

The balance on school loans is at an all time high but then again these loans follow them for life, they can even garnish their social security. Many students just let the interest accumulate which is very high to begin with, there are some real horror stories. I'm always taken back how little college students understand finance.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:30 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,438,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Not everyone is the same. I took 6 years to finish and had 50k in loans. That's all paid off now and I have a great job. No regrets.

Loans should be available for those who need them.
Paid mine off within first year of working fulltime. Last 6 months was also paying rent and own car insurance.

It s do able.
Stop freaking out.
Trump Republican scare freak out tactics once again....in order to deny minorities access to the " American dream". And especially to what the trump republicans see as a possible faction tobtake away their power. They are power obsessed. Whether its womanizing, sex trafficking, money laundering, lieing for the sake of liein...it make s the insufficient feel powerful. But it s all fake. Of course donald trump coinsvthe term fake news.
Duh. It s him.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:37 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
On second thought I wish he would expand the program rather than limit it. It might teach these young state loving communists a good hard lesson that the govt isnt them, isnt there for them and isn't their friend.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:51 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,447,174 times
Not a bad idea, even though I despise Trump. Easy access to high amounts of money causes tuition to go up.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:58 PM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
This needs to dry up. And I agree with Victor Davis Hanson, there needs to be exit exams to ensure math, reading, and writing literacy at a college level. I propose we go a step further and do this at the high school level.
I recently saw a report that roughly half of all incoming college freshmen have to take remedial English, remedial math, or both. This indicates a two-tiered fraud and failure of our education system: first, the fraudulent diplomas handed out in the millions by high schools to kids who do not have the requisite skills to graduate, and second, a lot of colleges are admitting a whole lot of people who simply don't belong there.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:05 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I've met people in their 50's still carrying their student loan. Seems it has been something for the USA for some time.
those are likely the people whose children are now believing that student loan debt is just okey-dokey.

I am 52. My entire college experience cost ~$20K. There better not be a soul that's 50 or above who is still paying off student loans, or they are truly idiots.

I WAS lucky - my parents paid for my in-state public school. I earned money during the summers, and had started working at 15. My first year out, I was in a degree-appropriate job earning more than my college cost.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:49 PM

33,557 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Students should be helped, not saddled with huge debts...

How Canada handles this.. Fulfilling the B.C. Government’s commitments to make post-secondary education more affordable, the interest rate on B.C. Government-issued student loans has been eliminated, as of February 19, 2019.

If you're a Canadian citizen studying in Canada, you can expect to pay an average of CA$6,838 per year for an undergraduate degree, and CA$7,086 per year for a graduate degree.

USA...Current student loan interest rates. Federal student loan interest rates rose for the 2018-19 school year and apply to loans disbursed between July 1, 2018, and July 1, 2019. The interest rate for federal direct undergraduate student loans increased to 5.05%, up from 4.45% in 2017-18.

In 2016-17, the average cost of annual tuition in the United States ranged from $9,700 for public four-year institutions to $33,500 for private four-year institutions

Old 03-20-2019, 06:48 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I recently saw a report that roughly half of all incoming college freshmen have to take remedial English, remedial math, or both. This indicates a two-tiered fraud and failure of our education system: first, the fraudulent diplomas handed out in the millions by high schools to kids who do not have the requisite skills to graduate, and second, a lot of colleges are admitting a whole lot of people who simply don't belong there.
Beyond the Rhetoric - Improving College Readiness Through Coherent State Policy

Quote:
Every year in the United States, nearly 60% of first-year college students discover that, despite being fully eligible to attend college, they are not ready for postsecondary studies. After enrolling, these students learn that they must take remedial courses in English or mathematics, which do not earn college credits. This gap between college eligibility and college readiness has attracted much attention in the last decade, yet it persists unabated.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:38 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This might just be the end of those $200,000 gender studies degrees ..

—-
Washington (CNN) — The Trump administration urged Congress Monday to put a cap on student loan borrowing, one of several proposals for updating the Higher Education Act.
"We want to encourage responsible borrowing," said a senior administration official on a call with reporters.

Some research suggests that unlimited borrowing may encourage colleges to drive up the price of tuition.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/18/pol...www.cnn.com%2F
The schools WON'T.

Their parents WON'T.

Somebody has to be the adult and tell them they are putting themselves into MASSIVE debt that will take MOST of the lives to pay off, if they EVER DO!

I have friends who have children in their mid 50's, no longer children, who STILL have a LARGE amount of student loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies