Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 10:45 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,439,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I think it is a great idea. Too many kids are borrowing too much money and taking their time to get their degree. I got through in 4 years but took 16 to 18 hours a semester to do so. My neighbors kid took 6 years to get an undergraduate degree

I know several people that owe tons in student loans but they take a class every so often to 'defer' their loan payments. It's wrong and it needs to stop.

Two of my daughters friends owe many tens of thousands of dollars for (get this) a degree in music.
Not everyone is the same. I took 6 years to finish and had 50k in loans. That's all paid off now and I have a great job. No regrets.

Loans should be available for those who need them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 10:50 PM

24,764 posts, read 9,559,912 times
Loans should be capped at the annual salary you will earn once you get the degree and 5 years of experience. With the exception being doctors.

No more liberal arts majors and gender studies for $150K.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:52 PM

24,764 posts, read 9,559,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I know several people that owe tons in student loans but they take a class every so often to 'defer' their loan payments. It's wrong and it needs to stop.
I know people who use student loans to consolidate their credit card debt. There's all kinds of tricks and games people play with student loans.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:16 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,522,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Loans should be capped at the annual salary you will earn once you get the degree and 5 years of experience. With the exception being doctors.

No more liberal arts majors and gender studies for $150K.
Yeah allowing that kind of debt if it’s a major where one is unlikely to make much is kind of setting them up for failure .

You can’t just borrow hundreds of thousands like that even to buy a successful existing business.

Student loan debt is not just bad for the person that has the debt but it affects the whole economy .

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/mee...conomy-n984131

Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,667,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Why is it the students are blamed and not the banks who saw this as a way to lend money the government would lean on people to pay back and garnish wages to get for them?

Why not blame it on colleges for charging ridiculous prices for tuition when our society damned near requires a degree for something, even if it's being an auto mechanic?

Why are college students, most of whom began borrowing when they were barely legal adults, the ones who get badmouthed?

Our country sucks sometimes. It really does.
I agree, the anger needs to be directed at the banks and loan places.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:33 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,903,413 times
Quote:
Why is it the students are blamed and not the banks who saw this as a way to lend money the government would lean on people to pay back and garnish wages to get for them?

Why not blame it on colleges for charging ridiculous prices for tuition when our society damned near requires a degree for something, even if it's being an auto mechanic?

Why are college students, most of whom began borrowing when they were barely legal adults, the ones who get badmouthed?

Because it isn't an either or scenario. Yes the colleges that design courses that can't produce the credits required to graduate are guilty. They then require the student to take electives to make up for the short fall of credits. Not unlike a car dealership selling you a car that doesn't come with wheels or tires. In order to drive it home you have to buy wheels and tires from the dealership...

Why bad mouth the students. Pretty sure most of us heard the saying buyer beware be fore we graduated from High School. Those college students who began borrowing as young adults are matched my barely legal adults putting their lives on the line doing jobs that are beyond dangerous in our Military. No sympathy from me for them. They wanted to wear the adult pants, they get what comes with it. Those kids should be screaming at their parents for not preparing them.

Our country does suck sometimes. It sucks that we allowed our Universities to become snake oil scammers. It also sucks that we produce kids that seem to have no concept that if you take a loan then you will be expected to pay it back.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:07 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,972,047 times
The student loan program should be trashed in its entirety and then tuition prices would come down.
It favors the financial sector because there is 0 risk to the loaners since the students cannot declare bankruptcy.

If the student defaults, the banks sell the loan and get their money either way, and the new holder of the loan adds on a high interest rate to make bank.

The students are not the main beneficiaries of these loans.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:13 AM

17,024 posts, read 12,633,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
I work in higher education and the amount of students "hanging out" getting multiple useless degrees is stunning. A lot of them will openly state they have no intention on paying their loans back......

College administrators are shaking in their shorts hearing this potential "cap" news though. The fountain of guaranteed free money might be finally drying up......
Interesting info. Graduate or undergraduate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Just another reason “student loan bailout/forgiveness” is a NO
Agreed much.

Quote:
For every story like this one, there are dozens of stories about people who used that money for school and for expenses related to school because they could not afford to attend college WITHOUT loans.

This is especially true for young, single mothers... largely out there trying to better themselves so they can get good jobs and take care of their kids.

Damned if they do and damned if they don't, but don't let them try to get an abortion because they're damned then, too.

People basically suck.
I dont know what the trump limit would be but I would set it high enough for say 80th percentile IN STATE tuition for a BS degree.

Yep you may have to go to work before you get that masters.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:18 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,122,280 times
Quote:

Why not blame them all?

If you're smart enough to go to college, you should be smart enough to know that government involvement in the financing of tuition is what's driving the cost of tuition through the roof.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:22 AM

18,473 posts, read 7,122,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
This forum is quite good at blaming the victim.

Is someone forcing kids at gunpoint to take out college loans?

Should you bear no responsibility at all when you borrow money?

That said, get government out of the student loan business and watch tuitions drop like a rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies