Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2019, 01:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times

Advertisements

We've gone from "Leave it to Beaver" to "Donald Trump - the Beaver Cleaver"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 01:37 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanst530 View Post
Keep them the heck out of entertainment, that's all we're asking.

You people might find solemn TV shows and movies interlaced with political messaging relaxing after a long hard day of work, others do not. Others simply want to turn their brains off and watch something upbeat, politically neutral, and fun.

Hollywood, given the influential power they have, should be uniting the population by producing more neutral content that we can all enjoy regardless of political leaning, but instead they are producing divisive material they know will anger a certain portion of the population. Why????
So watch something that meets those criteria.
You choose what to watch.

“Hollywood” produces programming that people do clearly want to watch and they have no expectations that everyone will want to watch every single program that airs.
The material is only divisive if you want it to be.
Why subject yourself to something you know will anger you just because it’s on?
Makes absolutely no sense.

I have never watched “Madame Secretary.” The subject matter doesn’t appeal to me.
I’m one of those people who accepts that not every show on TV is for me.

My feelings aren’t hurt by this because it means nothing in the larger scheme.
If this is an important issue for you, it’s time to find a hobby, change the channel or turn off the television.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:41 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I keep hanging in there with Blackish too. Even though it gets preachy sometimes, it’s still sometimes funny. I like the kids a lot. One thing that always bothers me is when people who are half black and half white only seem to identify black. Why?
Because more often than not, that’s how they are perceived by the larger public.
If you don’t know that someone is mixed and s/he looks black, are you going to assume that that person is half white?

Of course not.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:47 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
I agree with OP. Although I still watch tv shows, I do find myself rolling my eyes a lot lately. lol.
I remember watching "American Horror Story" and the first couple of seasons were pretty good. Then something happened that was so obviously political, even I paid attention and just couldn't bear it anymore.
But these are the times we live in. Actresses or actors can't voice an unpopular opinion without getting fired and have their career ruined. It sucks but it is what it is.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:48 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I keep hanging in there with Blackish too. Even though it gets preachy sometimes, it’s still sometimes funny. I like the kids a lot. One thing that always bothers me is when people who are half black and half white only seem to identify black. Why?
That's interesting. I think the kids are unwatchable. They feel 'written' to me.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:59 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I originally posted this in Entertainment/TV and after 7-8 pages, Mod asked me to move it

When I watch entertainment, I want to be entertained. I do not want pseudo science global warming bull c**p on Madam Secretary or anti illegal immigration stories on For the People or Law and Order, SVU.

The news, on both sides, is crappy enough. I watch news during the day (both Fox and CNN to get perspective)....

I don't want it slammed down my throat on a "show"

The really sad thing is that a lot of younger individuals with not so great education take this a gospel and real!!

This is not a boycott call.

What do you think?
Totally agree! We stopped watching many shows due to the subjects you describe as well as the so called, everyone being a racist if you question two people of different backgrounds to be a match, that is now in every show called “racism or homophobia”.

The time of great shows is over. That means that sooner than later Hollywood will become none existing and the graphic people will make a difference as they can create computer “humans” that will not bash anyone in private, and perhaps then we will get good story lines back.

I’m not interested in either way of the political isle to hear from during a show or movie unless it is a political movie.

But at this time, with so many lefties bashing conservatives, I will take an conservative actor uttering their opinion, as that is far from balancing the equation.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:00 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So watch something that meets those criteria.
You choose what to watch.

“Hollywood” produces programming that people do clearly want to watch and they have no expectations that everyone will want to watch every single program that airs.
The material is only divisive if you want it to be.
Why subject yourself to something you know will anger you just because it’s on?
Makes absolutely no sense.

I have never watched “Madame Secretary.” The subject matter doesn’t appeal to me.
I’m one of those people who accepts that not every show on TV is for me.

My feelings aren’t hurt by this because it means nothing in the larger scheme.
If this is an important issue for you, it’s time to find a hobby, change the channel or turn off the television.
I don't watch TV much, but when I do I watch classic movies and shows that have all of these elements.

Gilligan's Island, for example... I challenge anyone to name a modern show that puts you in as good a mood as that show. As cheesy and one-dimensional as it is, it is an aesthetic masterpiece, unrivaled by anything in modern history.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:00 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I originally posted this in Entertainment/TV and after 7-8 pages, Mod asked me to move it

When I watch entertainment, I want to be entertained. I do not want pseudo science global warming bull c**p on Madam Secretary or anti illegal immigration stories on For the People or Law and Order, SVU.

The news, on both sides, is crappy enough. I watch news during the day (both Fox and CNN to get perspective)....

I don't want it slammed down my throat on a "show"

The really sad thing is that a lot of younger individuals with not so great education take this a gospel and real!!

This is not a boycott call.

What do you think?
Except that global warming is not political...the only ones who make it out to be are the deniers.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Totally agree! We stopped watching many shows due to the subjects you describe as well as the so called, everyone being a racist if you question two people of different backgrounds to be a match, that is now in every show called “racism or homophobia”.

The time of great shows is over. That means that sooner than later Hollywood will become none existing and the graphic people will make a difference as they can create computer “humans” that will not bash anyone in private, and perhaps then we will get good story lines back.

I’m not interested in either way of the political isle to hear from during a show or movie unless it is a political movie.

But at this time, with so many lefties bashing conservatives, I will take an conservative actor uttering their opinion, as that is far from balancing the equation.
Said by a poster who chooses to play the victim card while taking the opportunity to bash lefties.....

We all have the choice to be a part of the problem or the solution.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:11 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
We've gone from "Leave it to Beaver" to "Donald Trump - the Beaver Cleaver"!
LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies