Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 09:14 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times

Advertisements

More bad news for the illegal coddlers:

https://twitter.com/SteveScalise/sta...58215275048960
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 02:15 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, because Trump never said it would in the form of a check.
I didn't think you'd actually take that literally, but either way, as long as Mexico is paying for the wall, that's all that matters

Old 03-27-2019, 09:28 AM

46,944 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Nobody said a wall is failsafe. But you know that. You just like to tell all of us how much you hate Trump.

That's OK. We all need to vent now and then. Keep telling us how much you hate Trump.
Hyperbole, also known as exaggeration for effect. It's a technique used to emphasize or at times mock, as is the case here. You don't see the comedic irony? The barrier that supposedly would keep out Mexicans instead attracted them, for the purpose of pilfering it. Then they used the materials for their own purposes. It's actually pretty funny.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
No, because Trump never said it would in the form of a check.
His campaign said "one-time payment". That'sone of them fact thingies.

Then he said a lot of other things, knowing full well that it doesn't matter how. His loyal followers will construe anything to mean "Mexico is paying", even if they are - as is the case now - paying themselves.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Let’s see how that pans out for our soldiers. What did they lose in this game ?
Well, you can't cut the payments for weapons systems, because they're delivered by billion-dollar companies and those are key constituents. So it's going to be where the Pentagon always cuts first: Housing, payment, dependent healthcare, that sort of thing. The grunts get it in the shorts, as per usual.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:25 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,435,673 times
Quote:
So just because millions of poor people want to come here when we don't have the jobs and resources to accomodate them we should just let them in anyway and in spite of the negative impact it will have on our own citizens?

Yes, there has been a cost comparison of the fiscal burden that illegals cost us. They pay about $19 billion in taxes but cost us over $100 billion a year (link posted many times). It was congress who approved of this wall back in 2006 and yes it is cost effective based on the above and already proven to work even the Border Patrol and Homeland Security have said so. I have provided many links proving their effectiveness also.
Wait. I thought we were having record unemployment and there arent enough Americans to fill the jobs???

And our economy broke some sort of record too ?

He s penned up the one from the last hundreds of thousands that were caravan ing across the border.

Illegal immigration was down by the end of Obamas term limit so there was no need to waste the money.
Trumps mere presence drove it out of control.

Mexicos president probobly put out a bulletin---work available north of the border. LOL

I can t imagine what my neighbor would do to me if I insisted he pay for work on my property lest I begin calling he and his family rapists and murderers....

Old 03-27-2019, 03:34 PM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Another loose-spending (and wasteful) measure, unapproved by Congress, and even circumvented from public vote. The government is totally out of control.

All this because some poor people believe in the American dream, and want to cross over.

No one has the guts to do a comparative analysis: the costs of the supposed "problem" vs. the costs of this colossal spend-a-thon. It's runaway train of madness with politicians at the helm.
"and even circumvented from public vote"

When was the last time the public voted DIRECTLY for a law to be passed?

For $1 to be spent?

GEESH!

"All this because some poor people believe in the American dream,"

Talk a about being out in left field!

Old 03-27-2019, 06:38 PM

62,885 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
I didn't think you'd actually take that literally, but either way, as long as Mexico is paying for the wall, that's all that matters
No what matters is that we get the border secured no matter who pays for it.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:47 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,117,547 times
Quote:
No what matters is that we get the border secured no matter who pays for it.
If the wall is funded privately, with the express consent of the property owners I have no problem with it.

The problem comes when my income is confiscated from me without my consent for yet another government jobs program.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:50 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
If the wall is funded privately, with the express consent of the property owners I have no problem with it.

The problem comes when my income is confiscated from me without my consent for yet another government jobs program.
"The problem comes when my income is confiscated from me without my consent"

You gave your "consent' when you accepted a job in the U.S. It is PART of being a U.S. citizen.

" with the express consent of the property owners I have no problem with it."

More property owners on the border WANT walls then not.

Eminent Domain is used almost EVERY DAY to build road, bridges, buildings etc. in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies