Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 05:37 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times

Advertisements

The Donna Reed episode aired in 1959. [pre vaccine]

The Flintstones episode aired in 1961. [pre vaccine]

The Brady Bunch episode aired in 1969. [vaccine rollout had begun]

With no backlash from the medical community whatsoever. No one blinked an eye.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:15 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
No. Pop culture reflected reality. If measles was so terrifyingly deadly, no network would have DARED aired any of these programs.

Measles was a joke, a harmless childhood illness. Which is why it was considered funny.

No one was terrified of the measles. That's a modern concept. Which is why the measles was a punchline in multiple shows at at kids. Before vaccine marketing took over.

Fear mongering over childhood illness is a modern concept. And it's very successful. Look how terrified you are.
If we’re using fictional TV as a source for health information, let’s counterbalance that with the old Little Rascals episode where hilarity ensued when one of the kids accidentally made the town think there was a small pox epidemic afoot. I guess small pox is no big deal either.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:18 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
So would we all.

Put babies to sleep on their backs and vaccinate them.

https://ivaccinate.org/ufaqs/link-sids-vaccines/

"The American Academy of Pediatrics recently expanded their guidelines for infant sleep safety and SIDS risk reduction. Infants should be immunized, as evidence suggests that vaccination reduces the risk of SIDS by 50 percent."

Quote:
“Endemic measles got subsequently eliminated in North America, but in 2011 an imported measles outbreak – the largest so far in the post-elimination era – hit a community in Quebec, Canada with 95-97% measles vaccination compliance in the era of double vaccination against measles. If double vaccination is not enough to patch those early-age vaccination failures and ensure the elusive herd immunity, should we then look forward to triple (or, might as well, quadruple) MMR vaccination strategy to see how that might work out with respect to herd immunity? Or should we instead re-examine the herd immunity concept itself?”
The Quebec outbreak:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23264672

The vaccination rate for two doses was only 90%, and it appears the second dose was given at three years, earlier than in the US. The majority of the adolescents who got measles had not received two doses of vaccine. Then there is this:

"Two-dose recipients had milder illness and a significantly lower risk of hospitalization than those who were unvaccinated or single-dose recipients."

More here. Quebec's response to the outbreak, and a hypothesis of the reason for the relatively high number of vaccinated cases.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...s-virus-at-bay

"Quebec authorities soon discovered that some adolescents contracted the measles despite the fact that they had been vaccinated as children. Research suggests that the mothers of these individuals had probably suffered from the measles when they were children, and they transferred to their offspring the antibodies against the virus during pregnancy."

De Serres explained that the presence of measles antibodies can inactivate the vaccine. He said the likelihood of this 'historical' phenomenon will decrease over time as fewer and fewer new mothers will have suffered from the measles in their childhood."

Quote:
Explain the sanitary conditions, hygiene practices, food preservation and clean water practices in 1759, and how they compare to standards in today's USA.

Apples, oranges. Yawn.
Measles is airborne and not transmitted though food or water. In 1759 if you were exposed and had not already had measles you had a 90% chance of catching it. The same today. Modern medicine can help reduce deaths due to secondary infections but one or two out of a thousand still die from it. Underestimate the hazards of measles at your own risk.

Quote:
Do you ever wonder what parents think when their healthy babies die after getting a vaccine?
Many parents blame deaths on vaccines that were not caused by vaccines, and there are not one or two deaths per 1000 doses of vaccine. There are one or two deaths per 1000 cases of measles.

Quote:
I see you didn’t even look at my link which shows the Infant Mortality rate is highest in countries (like ours) with higher number of vaccines and lower in countries with less vaccines.

SIDS deaths dropped significantly as a result of the back to sleep campaign. That’s what your link shows. However, we still have SIDS even with safe sleeping practices and we still have a high infant mortality rate.
First, it is hazardous to compare US infant mortality to other countries. The US will count a miscarriage with a 14 week fetus with a heartbeat as a live birth and neonatal death. Reporting by other countries does not follow the same definition. Some coded as live births in the US are deemed stillbirths in other countries.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2011/...scott-w-atlas/

Second, taking any two events and showing that the incidences of both increase over a given time frame does not prove one causes the other.

Why the Miller and Goldman article you cited does not show that vaccines increase infant mortality in the US:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/vac...cine-movement/

Old 04-02-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginge McFantaPants View Post
If we’re using fictional TV as a source for health information, let’s counterbalance that with the old Little Rascals episode where hilarity ensued when one of the kids accidentally made the town think there was a small pox epidemic afoot. I guess small pox is no big deal either.
Ho was it presented? Did the kids act as though small pox was no big deal, as well as all the doctors and the parents?Were people terrified or not afraid, laughing about small pox as if it were no big deal?

I haven't seen the clips, so can't comment. You can, however view the clips I posted and see how the information is presented. And it is clear that no one thinks measles is anything to be worried about.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Measles is airborne and not transmitted though food or water. In 1759 if you were exposed and had not already had measles you had a 90% chance of catching it. The same today. Modern medicine can help reduce deaths due to secondary infections but one or two out of a thousand still die from it. Underestimate the hazards of measles at your own risk.
You have not addressed any of my points regarding life then compared to life today.

And yes, YES, I as a human being deserve the freedom to choose whether I want a vaccine.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR AGREEING WITH ME!!!

It is "my risk" not yours. You worry about your body and I will be concerned with mine.

Whew. Never thought I'd see the day that suzy agreed it is up to the INDIVIDUAL to choose what risks, disease vs vaccine.

I think we can close the thread now, lol.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:25 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
I do think the goal is 100% compliance among everyone but as of now they are targeting the lowest lying fruit, which happens to be children.
Adults should be vaccinated, too. So, yes, "they" want everyone vaccinated.

Quote:
Question: Since everyone was so horrifically terrified and just out of their minds with worry, how did the networks DARE to air these many television programs making fun of the measles, using it as a standing joke, and which were targeted at kid audiences?

Where was all the outrage? The protests against Donna Reed, the Flintstones and the Brady Bunch? What was the medical community's reaction? Surely the many professional organizations had statements against these programs. And the papers! Oh the headlines that the papers must've run ...

No.

Answer: Not one person was afraid of the measles. Only people TODAY are terrified of it. The shows were silly and harmless and mindless fun. Topics were lighthearted. As was people's understanding of the measles. Not one person was scared of it.
As someone noted above M*A*S*H was lighthearted, too. I guess the Korean War was silly and harmless and mindless fun because someone made a sitcom about it.

Quote:
The theory of herd immunity applies to the immunity one gets from natural exposure. Vaccine induced immunity wanes and puts people at risk later in life. It also interferes with a mother’s ability to pass maternal antibodies and antibodies via breastmilk to her babies during the time in their life where they are most vulnerable. This science experiment will have real dangerous repercussions overall.

Deaths from vaccines definitely happen and not all of them are documented.

People do get measles in the US.
Anyone who is immune to an infectious disease, whether by virtue of having been sick with it or because he had the vaccine, contributes to herd immunity. Some vaccines provide longer lasting protection than others. Some need boosters. Some do not. But if you are immune you contribute to herd immunity.

Source for your comment about maternal antibodies? Because it is not true.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/814970_5

"Maternal immunization (before or during pregnancy, or immediately after delivery – known as the 'cocoon effect') has emerged as a simple, safe and cost-effective strategy to protect the neonate against illness, bypassing the well-known immunological obstacles associated with neonatal vaccination. This approach has been extremely successful in efforts to eliminate neonatal tetanus and is even being advocated as a strategy for the control of infant pertussis, influenza and other diseases."

Infant vaccination schedules are designed to take into consideration the waning of maternal antibodies transferred via the placenta, because those can interfere with vaccines given to the baby.

See the previous link about deaths from vaccines. They are so rare that they are almost uncountable

Quote:
No one is saying stop vaccinating. Not. One. Person.

If you want any vaccine? No one is stopping you. That's your choice.

Get 19, get 345, get 2,409, get 245,234,454,678,332,456 of them. I don't care. I really don't. It's YOUR body.

Just stop trying to be a slaveowner and dictate what others can do with their own bodies.
Come on. Your entire contribution to the thread is designed to discourage vaccination. I have repeatedly said you can do whatever you want. However, choosing not to vaccinate can have adverse effects on other people.

Quote:
You have not addressed any of my points regarding life then compared to life today.

And yes, YES, I as a human being deserve the freedom to choose whether I want a vaccine.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR AGREEING WITH ME!!!

It is "my risk" not yours. You worry about your body and I will be concerned with mine.

Whew. Never thought I'd see the day that suzy agreed it is up to the INDIVIDUAL to choose what risks, disease vs vaccine.

I think we can close the thread now, lol.
I did address your point. Measles today has the same dangers as measles in 1759, though modern medicine can mitigate some of them. There is still no way, for example, to prevent encephalitis from measles.

I have always said the choice is yours but that you need to accept the consequences of that choice, including not being able to send your children to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies