Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 06:04 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,874,248 times

Advertisements

https://khn.org/news/medicaid-expans...es-and-prices/

Looks like they shifted resources from uncompensated care to taking over physician practices, building free-standing emergency rooms and duplicating services try to get customers with commercial insurance in wealthy areas.

One could only imagine how many physicians workload went from inner-city hospitals to free-standing emergency rooms in wealthy areas.

Looks like instead of using the addition Medicaid money to reduce prices on commercial and employer insurance payors, they decided to allocate the windfall for free-standing emergency rooms and duplicate services where they already had sufficient capacity.

Some of the profit-margins are 14% now in Colorado at some hospitals because the windfall of Medicaid money from Obamacare.

The profit-margin per discharge for people ion commercial health insurance is now up to $11,000 in Colorado
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 06:11 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,857,105 times
Exactly who is "they?"

Old 03-27-2019, 06:13 PM

18,853 posts, read 8,506,184 times
With our small town AZ hospital the Medicaid expansion has been about a wash. Fewer no payers, but lower reimbursements. I know of no one that thought they would be reducing any private prices.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:16 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,737,815 times
It looks like the hospitals had somewhat free reign to do what they wanted with the extra funds and they used it to boost their own bottom lines rather than to help people by lowering prices. Sounds typical of the capitalistic free market... are you upset about this or happy that corporations got another one over on regular people? It also looks like yet another part of the ACA wasn't implemented. I wonder why Congress wanted to avoid cutting federal funding for hospitals.

Quote:
Some critics point out that hospitals are also benefiting because Congress has repeatedly delayed a key ACA provision that would have cut federal funding for hospitals with large numbers of Medicaid and uninsured patients.

The continuation of the program — called Medicaid disproportionate share payments — has provided Colorado hospitals a total of $108 million.
As far as the freestanding emergency rooms being duplicative... I only know what happened in my area. My city got a freestanding ER rather than a full hospital because there is some certificate that is needed from the state that Florida refused to give our city because something to do with competition yada yada. So in a city of 60,000 residents, we had no hospital at all. The closest ones were 20 minutes away. Now we have a freestanding ER. Not ideal, but they saved my daughter's life, so I can't complain. Of course, once they diagnosed her, we had to take an ambulance to a different hospital. We ended up at a children's hospital 90 minutes away because that's what she needed, but even if a regular hospital could have helped, we'd have needed to take an ambulance 20 minutes away. So that's unfortunate. Either way, our freestanding ER is not providing duplicate care, it's providing care that we didn't have and that we definitely needed in our city. No idea if that has to do with the Medicaid expansion.. I assume not because Florida does not participate.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:46 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,128,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://khn.org/news/medicaid-expans...es-and-prices/

Looks like they shifted resources from uncompensated care to taking over physician practices, building free-standing emergency rooms and duplicating services try to get customers with commercial insurance in wealthy areas.

One could only imagine how many physicians workload went from inner-city hospitals to free-standing emergency rooms in wealthy areas.

Looks like instead of using the addition Medicaid money to reduce prices on commercial and employer insurance payors, they decided to allocate the windfall for free-standing emergency rooms and duplicate services where they already had sufficient capacity.

Some of the profit-margins are 14% now in Colorado at some hospitals because the windfall of Medicaid money from Obamacare.

The profit-margin per discharge for people ion commercial health insurance is now up to $11,000 in Colorado
So why not just eliminate Medicaid and all other welfare handouts? No one has the right to the services of another, nor should I or anyone else be forced to pay for someone else's healthcare.

All you ever do here is post diatribes, with no real solutions.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:47 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,265,568 times
Could help to explain the Oregon Medicaid study.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:49 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,633,750 times
How does it rate in North Dakota?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies