Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 05:13 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times

Advertisements

Two wrongs here.
1) Death threats? Really? Idiots.
2) The teacher bringing their politics into the classroom.

Side note: What is the actual source of that assignment? It does not strike me as teacher written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 05:50 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Death threats suck but this is what happens when you are grossly irresponsible with other people's children

Old 03-29-2019, 06:19 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not that I condone political indoctrination in school either way, but death threats huh?

How charming.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/midd...165136017.html

"but death threats huh?"

"Sometimes you have to hit a jackass over the head with a 2 x 4 to get his attention!"

Old 03-29-2019, 06:27 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Two wrongs here.
1) Death threats? Really? Idiots.
2) The teacher bringing their politics into the classroom.

Side note: What is the actual source of that assignment? It does not strike me as teacher written.
It is from a site called Teachers Pay Teachers. Teachers can post lessons they have created for other teachers to either use for free or purchase for a nominal fee. The teacher in trouble chose this particular lesson from the literally thousands on the site. The assignment in question was created by a teacher who, like me, has taught multiple grades in multiple states as a result of following a husband around for his job. She is currently in Texas, like the teacher in the article, and writes lessons geared towards the skills needed for the Texas state testing.

It most likely came from the 70+ options in this bundle: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...Bundle-2952365

Old 03-29-2019, 06:30 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
I can see the value of the assignment, particularly if it also included an excerpt from a pro-Trump essay. The point is to teach critical thinking skills and to help students gauge whether something is biased/unbiased, what other ideas the author of such a piece might agree with, etc. Learning how to discern whether a resource is biased or even true is a skill that is sorely lacking in today's society. These are 7th graders, not 2nd graders. When my kids were middle-school-aged, we absolutely read things from sources we (as parents) didn't agree with so they would be able to start forming their own ideas and understand what others thought.

Obviously, death threats are an absurd reaction, if they happened in the first place.

Old 03-29-2019, 07:03 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It is from a site called Teachers Pay Teachers. Teachers can post lessons they have created for other teachers to either use for free or purchase for a nominal fee. The teacher in trouble chose this particular lesson from the literally thousands on the site. The assignment in question was created by a teacher who, like me, has taught multiple grades in multiple states as a result of following a husband around for his job. She is currently in Texas, like the teacher in the article, and writes lessons geared towards the skills needed for the Texas state testing.

It most likely came from the 70+ options in this bundle: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...Bundle-2952365
Thanks for the info. That question might be popular in SF.

Real world those stilted political questions should not be in any general public school.

I do not believe in favoring either side. I could write a question set as stilted for any president in the past 50 years easily.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:44 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Just being on POC informs me, we need more teaching of critical thinking skills.

This article was probably gleaned from my morning paper a couple days ago.

IMO. the kids were asked to read the article and answer questions about the article. Nowhere did anybody say the content of the article was true or false.

Just another idiot politician over reacting. Bet he needs help with critical thinking skills.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:55 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So does “We received many calls at the district following the issue of a media release and social media post that told part of the story and did not reflect the fact that the matter had been resolved within the district,” said Dombrowa. “Many of those calls were deeply disturbing and threatening in nature. equal death threats?

The first statement: A Texas school district is getting non-stop death threats over an anti-Trump classroom assignment,....... is not a quote and I assume straight from the author. I did not see an official quote supporting non-stop death threats.
The "non-stop death threats" fits better with the "Trump The Evil" narrative. That's why they use it.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:04 AM

193 posts, read 69,205 times
I don't feel sorry for this "teacher" one little bit, this wasn't some innocent mistake, if you're to stupid to realize that this kind of political rhetoric has no place in the classroom then you have no business educating kids. This was done purposely by an individual who is in the deep throws of TDS and has lost sight of all judgement. The teacher should absolutely be fired, a teacher's job is to teach not to force their political opinions on kids, if kids are not allowed to wear MAGA shirts in the classroom then why is this acceptable??

Old 03-29-2019, 10:17 AM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixlets82 View Post
I don't feel sorry for this "teacher" one little bit, this wasn't some innocent mistake, if you're to stupid to realize that this kind of political rhetoric has no place in the classroom then you have no business educating kids. This was done purposely by an individual who is in the deep throws of TDS and has lost sight of all judgement. The teacher should absolutely be fired, a teacher's job is to teach not to force their political opinions on kids, if kids are not allowed to wear MAGA shirts in the classroom then why is this acceptable??
BS. Do you even know how this lesson works? But, the teacher should have left that lesson alone due to everybody over reacting. She should have seen it coming, even in a former union town.

Also, the people in that area of Houston have been a little tense lately due to an industrial fire the was dumping xylene and toluene in the air and water. All the schools in that area were closed for several days to to air pollution. I'm 45 miles away and there was a black cloud over my house for 3 days. The ship channel was closed. People are breaking out in rashes, having awful headaches, etc. Now the last real wetlands by the San Jacinto Monument is taking on oil from the fire.

That representative needs to get his head out of his ass and worry about stuff that matters.

Instead of going bat chit, the momma could have had a teaching moment herownself. What a great opportunity for her to discuss what and why she objected to the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies