Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 02:06 PM

8,166 posts, read 3,149,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJonesIII View Post
Eh...poor health can be related to much more than income level. And as easy as you can find a source that supports that viewpoint, I can find sources that talk about the obesity problem in this country (which is one of the main contributors to poor health) and it would point to a myriad of things well beyond income level (i.e. inactivity levels due to technological advances, lack of exercise, diet ...which isn't limited to low income families, sleep, smoking, alcohol, education). Keep in mind, your typical WIC recipient isn't allowed to buy alcohol or cigarettes with their WIC dollars. I don't think using a catchall like income helps with a true discussion on the matter.
You left out a major contributing factor, substance (drug) use / abuse. It's an epidemic in most, if not all big US cities across the nation. People shooting up and passing out in public transportation stations in San Francisco. Last time I was up in San Francisco I decided to take a walk from 4th and King up to Market Street. Couldn't believe all the drunks and/or drugged out people I passed along the way, even came across a full colostomy bag and a flurry of bloody gauze strewn across the sidewalk. Terrible experience. People get into these bad habits and hazardous lifestyles and then find themselves in dire need of medical attention with no money or means to take care of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 12:31 AM

20,909 posts, read 8,714,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Paying out of pocket is often cheaper than paying out of network, a friendly tip for the day.
Most doctors don't want the aggravation and expense of dealing with insurance companies so you need to talk to them to work out a deal. They always pad the bill for insurance companies so it should be cheaper for you. Most will take a credit card. It should be easier if you are a longstanding patient whom they know and don't want to lose. Just ask, "Do you have a cash price?"

Old 04-06-2019, 04:30 AM

19,385 posts, read 6,545,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Most doctors don't want the aggravation and expense of dealing with insurance companies so you need to talk to them to work out a deal. They always pad the bill for insurance companies so it should be cheaper for you. Most will take a credit card. It should be easier if you are a longstanding patient whom they know and don't want to lose. Just ask, "Do you have a cash price?"
You want to hear something even crazier? Obama allowed insurers to REQUIRE you to use their plan, which meant you had to pay an inflated "discount" fee the insurer "negotiated" with the provider!

Yup, you read that right. The "discounted" price for using your insurance cost you more than if you just paid cash. That was your reward for paying through the nose for premiums - a higher price! For example, the charge at the physical therapy place was $130 a session through insurance and $99 with cash. BUT because I had "admitted" (that was the word they used) that I had insurance, I had to pay the higher price. The PT place said it was part of their contract with the insurer - that clients HAD to go through the insurance company and pay the higher price.

Trump fixed that. Now I can save money and pay cash.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:34 AM

19,385 posts, read 6,545,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You want to hear something even crazier? Obama allowed insurers to REQUIRE you to use their plan, which meant you had to pay an inflated "discount" fee the insurer "negotiated" with the provider!

Yup, you read that right. The "discounted" price for using your insurance cost you more than if you just paid cash. That was your reward for paying through the nose for premiums - a higher price! For example, the charge at the physical therapy place was $130 a session through insurance and $99 with cash. BUT because I had "admitted" (that was the word they used) that I had insurance, I had to pay the higher price. The PT place said it was part of their contract with the insurer - that clients HAD to go through the insurance company and pay the higher price.

Trump fixed that. Now I can save money and pay cash.
^^^ continuing.....what that tells me is that since Obama required insurers to pay everything for poor people, they were "making up the difference" by overcharging the moderate earners. And there is NO way to fix this unless we require poor people to kick in some modest amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies