Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 09:45 AM

1,316 posts, read 749,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Why is the fault solely on the person who didn't read the article? I agree that basing your thoughts of an article solely on the title or headline is not very smart. I want to know why, exactly, the NYT and other papers feel it is necessary to have an article titled this way to begin with. What point does it make? This wasn't simply pulled out of thin air. It was deliberate. Just for even numbers, half of the country will look at that headline and decide not to read the opinion because it comes across as yet more rantings by an unhinged anti-Trump writer. One would think the editorial staff would like to get more people reading the piece than simply turning them off at the first glance. Or, maybe the case is they knew such a title would generate clicks and have people talking about the title. In that case, it's just click-bait publishing. Either way, there isn't much good that comes from such a title. Here's one weird trick to generate ad revenue.

Why? Um, because the context is everything. Who in their right mind would take a "Donald Trump is Tying to Kill You" headline at face value, as news? That is so beyond the pale, you can't even see the castle anymore.

There is no sense in criticizing an opinion piece if you have no intention of reading it. I mean, what is the point? And of course the title is designed to get people to read it. That's the point of any title/headline. Is it hyperbolic? Yes, of course. If other opinion is so undesirable to you, then stick to what you know panders to you. This is pandering to me, thank you very much.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:47 AM

78,454 posts, read 60,652,129 times
FYI- Hey guys, one thing I haven't seen considered here is that the title may not have even been selected by the opinion writers. The NYT itself may have told them they want to use it or picked it themselves in order to get attention\ratings.

I think we need to constantly remind ourselves in this new era of journalism that they're under extreme financial and competitive pressure and frankly need to use techniques that are almost trollish in nature in order to get attention and meet those goals.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:52 PM

57,329 posts, read 26,245,816 times
I thought this was regarding his request to have DOJ take action to can the ACA or Trump's new greatest ever health care and the elimination of pre-existing conditions. Just about lack of response in Puerto Rico, home terror groups and others.

The title is too melodramatic but still an opinion piece.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:00 PM

21,483 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
"Donald Trump is trying to kill you"...Actual headline of a NY Times article

I'd hardly consider an O-P-I-N-I-O-N column a "NY Times article"
Their news articles aren’t much better. Two of their reporters got a Pulitzer for pushing a fake news story that ended up costing our country $30,000,000 and a lot of division.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:15 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,623,084 times

Consider the source.

Quote:
Donald Trump Is Trying to Kill You

by Paul Krugman <---------------------
Opinion Columnist
New York Times<---------------------

April 4, 2019

Old 04-05-2019, 07:13 PM

1,022 posts, read 775,723 times
As I have said before does anyone take the New York Times seriously!

Old 04-06-2019, 09:54 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

I'd hardly consider an O-P-I-N-I-O-N column a "NY Times article"
I thought the editor decides what goes to print?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies