Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 07:16 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,118,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Well we had a spending binge under W Bush and his GOP-controlled congress in the early 2000s. And we had a massive spending binge under Obama and his D-controlled congress from 2009-11.

If you are saying we have one party in the sense that the duopoly often effectively acts as one party, I agree. If you're saying that either the Democrats or Republicans are irresponsible (but not both), I would disagree.
When have Republicans ever included revenue to pay for their spending? When have Democrats? The fact that one side doesn't and one side does is all the evidence about who is responsible for the debt crisis we're in now.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Exactly how I see it Travis.

Eddie, its hardly a false narrative. Both parties are irresponsible in my book. You can argue one of the parties is worse then the other but they are both part of the problem.

You say "we only have one party that does not advocate paying for what they purchase. Only one." I assume you mean the Democrats, they do make endless promises using tax dollars to buy votes. They made it into an art form. An art form that will eventually bankrupt us into Greece or even Venezuela.

Sadly, you can see already them making unaffordable promises with the current crop of Democratic Presidential candidates.

But not you say the Republicans? Do they pay for everything? I don't think so. Do you think cutting taxes on the super rich while we have huge deficits, always cutting domestic spending but then borrowing money to increase defense spending is responsible? How long do people think we can keep that up, let the domestic economy hollow out while we spend every last dime on the military?
Both parties are not irresponsible when one party refuses to pay for what they spend and the other party wants to.

This is the nonsense that we keep lying about like both sides are equally responsible. One guy has a flame-thrower and the other guy has a fire extinguisher and you're trying to sell the idea that both sides should be held responsible for arson. Not having it.

And all you need to look at is Obamacare to see this in action. The most consistent things that Republicans have attacked about the plans are the very things paying for it.

Stop this nonsense of excusing Republicans just so you can seem middle of the road or down w/ whatever pseudo-anarchist beliefs pass as "enlightened" these days.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:29 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,384,015 times
The fact is we haven’t seen fiscal responsibility since the days of Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich. Ever since then the government has been in free-wheeling deficit spending mode.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
The fact is we haven’t seen fiscal responsibility since the days of Bill Clinton and Newt Gingrich. Ever since then the government has been in free-wheeling deficit spending mode.
Once again... NOT. TRUE. Stop conflating fiscal responsibility w/ only cutting spending. Fiscal responsibility is making sure your expenses match your income. You can either cut expenses OR increase revenue. You may not like paying for what you buy, but that's fiscally responsible.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:19 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,361,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
How do you so-called “conservatives” and MAGAs justify this?

4D chess, I guess.

https://www.conservativereview.com/n...mas-last-year/

Many agencies get an AUTOMATIC raise EVERY YEAR and the Sequester money they got became part of their annual budget which RAISED their base budgets.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:20 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,384,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Once again... NOT. TRUE. Stop conflating fiscal responsibility w/ only cutting spending. Fiscal responsibility is making sure your expenses match your income. You can either cut expenses OR increase revenue. You may not like paying for what you buy, but that's fiscally responsible.
I don’t disagree with your statement that fiscal responsibility is making sure that expenses match income....and the last time this concept was executed by the federal government was during the Clinton administration. That is an indisputable fact sir.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:24 AM

36,563 posts, read 30,900,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
All that shows is that Republicans are spineless cowards, and Donald Trump is the leftist Democrat he's been pretty much his entire life.
No it shows historically federal spending has increase under every new administration. Every one. Republican and Democrat. That is all.
It is congress who controls spending.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I don’t disagree with your statement that fiscal responsibility is making sure that expenses match income....and the last time this concept was executed by the federal government was during the Clinton administration. That is an indisputable fact sir.
Got it. I'm so used to Conservatives only championing spending cuts as the only way to get out of the debt crisis. It's not a coincidence that the last time we were fiscally responsible, tax increases were in the discussion too.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:37 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,124,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Many agencies get an AUTOMATIC raise EVERY YEAR and the Sequester money they got became part of their annual budget which RAISED their base budgets.
That still doesn't justify anything.

All federal government agencies should be be defunded.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:39 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,124,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No it shows historically federal spending has increase under every new administration. Every one. Republican and Democrat. That is all.
It is congress who controls spending.
Congress does, which proves that Republicans and Democrats are exactly the same.

However, it still doesn't change the fact that the Trump budgets sent to Congress are the largest in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.