Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2019, 11:02 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It’s their right to do so.

When I had chicken pox all of the parents on the block got all of the kids together to play so that we would all catch it and get it over with while young. Same idea here.
Was exactly the same way in my neighborhood. And, considering the plentiful similar accounts, I'm guessing that was standard procedure throughout most of the US.

My neighborhood was one of high-density town-homes, with literally hundreds of kids within a very small radius. In the 50s, most mothers were home taking care of the kids and there was much more social interaction. In short, we pretty much all knew each other.

I don't recall ever hearing of even one case of serious illness stemming from any of the big three. Back there and then, we'd know if there was. From my recollection, the worst thing that ever happened to a kid at my school was a broken arm from falling off the top of a slide.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
The measles myth is that it’s a benign disease and at most just causes some irritating itchiness. And that instead of vaccinating we should all just expose our kids to the measles since that immunity is “superior”.

Those both are a load of crap.
Yes, they seem to think the measles rash is something like a contact dermatitis, e.g. Poison Ivy and the like. Measles affects every system of the body, plus, it destroys the immune system for up to three years.

Quote:
For most people it is benign. I don’t know that anyone said that “we should all just expose our kids” but it is true that natural immunity is superior.
The vaccine is benign for far more people than the disease is.

Quote:
You don’t understand the differences in health outcomes in developing countries vs developed countries? There are differences in regards to risk depending on many factors. It’s the reason why the death rate from measles (and many other diseases) dropped significantly over time in the pre vaccine era the US.
You do not understand that "low risk" does not mean "no risk". You might talk to some of Roald Dahl's family about his daughter's death. This happened in the UK a country with Universal Health Care, to a very wealthy family. They were about the lowest of the low risk people. November 1962, a year before the vaccine came out.

https://www.roalddahl.com/roald-dahl.../november-1962
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...-10019824.html
An excerpt:
"The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her. That was twenty-four years ago in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction from measles as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help her. . . It is not yet generally accepted that measles can be a dangerous illness. Believe me, it is."

Quote:
It’s their right to do so.

When I had chicken pox all of the parents on the block got all of the kids together to play so that we would all catch it and get it over with while young. Same idea here.
That never happened in my neighborhood growing up, nor in my husband's neighborhood 1000 miles away. Maybe these steelworkers in Pittsburgh and meat-packers in Omaha had more sense. When I was a young mom in the 80s, and there was no vaccine, no one I knew did such a thing either. We all knew it was inevitable, yet we dreaded it.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Was exactly the same way in my neighborhood. And, considering the plentiful similar accounts, I'm guessing that was standard procedure throughout most of the US.

My neighborhood was one of high-density town-homes, with literally hundreds of kids within a very small radius. In the 50s, most mothers were home taking care of the kids and there was much more social interaction. In short, we pretty much all knew each other.

I don't recall ever hearing of even one case of serious illness stemming from any of the big three. Back there and then, we'd know if there was. From my recollection, the worst thing that ever happened to a kid at my school was a broken arm from falling off the top of a slide.
No, it was not. See my post above.

Re measles: hearing loss, even vision loss are sort of "silent" side effects. They aren't real obvious. The teacher might yell at a kid for not hearing her when she calls his/her name, but didn't always know the kid had a hearing problem from measles (or mumps). Glasses are more obvious, once the problem is discovered. A friend told me there was a kid in her neighborhood who had serious disabilities including intellectual, which she later found out were from measles. Remember all those "slow learners" back in the day? You certainly don't know the medical history of every person in your neighborhood, you were just a kid yourself.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:31 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Yes, I understand all of that. Measles is still not a benign disease based on the definition of benign because it DOES cause harm. Or are death, brain damage and other permanently issues not harmful?

If you want to claim measles are benign, then you should be applying the same word to vaccines since for most people they are benign and cause no harm. Are you willing to call vaccines benign???
“Relatively benign” is what was said. Put those two words together and maybe you’ll better understand. I also said, “for most people” it is benign. Because it is.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
It’s their right. That’s always your answer. Do they also have the right to then send their contagious spawn out into the world to spread disease? I’m sure you think that’s a good thing as well since it’s their “right” to make unsuspecting vulnerable people sick. All that matters is them getting to exercise their rights. No one else matters at all.

Any parent who willing exposes their child to ANY disease is an idiot.
Spawn?

You have a right to get vaccinated or not. You also have the right to stay home during an outbreak or go out into public.

You don’t remember chicken pox parties in the pre-vaccine era? It made tons of sense considering it was a disease that everyone would get at one point or another it was known to be least dangerous in childhood. Trying to avoid it would only mean that you would be more likely to get it in adulthood when it’s more dangerous. Same for measles.

You can’t control everyone. You need to accept that.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You do not understand that "low risk" does not mean "no risk". You might talk to some of Roald Dahl's family about his daughter's death. This happened in the UK a country with Universal Health Care, to a very wealthy family. They were about the lowest of the low risk people. November 1962, a year before the vaccine came out.

https://www.roalddahl.com/roald-dahl.../november-1962
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...-10019824.html
An excerpt:
"The measles had turned into a terrible thing called measles encephalitis and there was nothing the doctors could do to save her. That was twenty-four years ago in 1962, but even now, if a child with measles happens to develop the same deadly reaction from measles as Olivia did, there would still be nothing the doctors could do to help her. . . It is not yet generally accepted that measles can be a dangerous illness. Believe me, it is."
You might want to talk to families who have children die from the MMR vaccine then too. Holly Stavola lost her daughter due to a reaction to the MMR vaccine.
https://www.learntherisk.org/stories...s-law-created/

Quote:
That never happened in my neighborhood growing up, nor in my husband's neighborhood 1000 miles away. Maybe these steelworkers in Pittsburgh and meat-packers in Omaha had more sense. When I was a young mom in the 80s, and there was no vaccine, no one I knew did such a thing either. We all knew it was inevitable, yet we dreaded it.
It happened in a lot of other neighborhoods. Not sure what you or your parents were thinking. Trying to avoid it was not logical. Is it better to have mumps at age 8 or as an adult? Is it better to have rubella as a kid or when you’re pregnant? Measles as a 7 year old or as a 70 year old?

Old 04-13-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No, it was not. See my post above.

Re measles: hearing loss, even vision loss are sort of "silent" side effects. They aren't real obvious. The teacher might yell at a kid for not hearing her when she calls his/her name, but didn't always know the kid had a hearing problem from measles (or mumps). Glasses are more obvious, once the problem is discovered. A friend told me there was a kid in her neighborhood who had serious disabilities including intellectual, which she later found out were from measles. Remember all those "slow learners" back in the day? You certainly don't know the medical history of every person in your neighborhood, you were just a kid yourself.
There’s still slow learners today as well as a lot of kids who wear glasses and more kids with allergies, diabetes, sensory processing disorders, adhd, autism, etc.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:47 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Spawn?

You have a right to get vaccinated or not. You also have the right to stay home during an outbreak or go out into public.

You don’t remember chicken pox parties in the pre-vaccine era? It made tons of sense considering it was a disease that everyone would get at one point or another it was known to be least dangerous in childhood. Trying to avoid it would only mean that you would be more likely to get it in adulthood when it’s more dangerous. Same for measles.

Now you're zeroing in on what drives this....and so much more in today's political arena.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Spawn?

No. Chickenpox parties were more of an "urban legend" than anything else. Maybe some parents held them, but not all. You didn't have to try to hard to get exposed to chickenpox no matter what when my kids were little. Chickenpox was always going through preschools and elementary schools. Even people with no history of chickenpox usually have evidence of having had disease by titer.

And I have never seen a first person account of any measles party. People knew measles was a serious disease. You used to have to put a quarantine sign on your door when someone had measles.
https://www.google.com/search?q=meas...KD1BxChs-kr7M:

The closest I came to a "first person" article about measles parties was this: A writer in LA writing about measles parties in CANADA! It seems no one has ever been to one until now. These eejits in NYC have no idea what they're doing. There is no memory of measles in society.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/will-...etu_b_14479732

You (plural, collective) have NO RIGHT to go out into public if you've been ordered to stay in during a disease outbreak. "Jacobson" settled that back in 1905, 114 years ago.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
There’s still slow learners today as well as a lot of kids who wear glasses and more kids with allergies, diabetes, sensory processing disorders, adhd, autism, etc.
So back to "vaccines cause autism", eh? That's been debunked over and over and OVER again. Ditto allergies, diabetes, sensory processing disorders, adhd and whatever etc you can come up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies