Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2019, 03:23 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
MissTerri, I would be very interested in your answers to UNC4Me's questions.

Measles is relatively benign and so is the measles vaccine. People can choose for themselves.

The risk of encephalitis with measles is .028% with 1,000 instances out of three to four million cases.

There are risks to getting measles and there are risks to getting the measles vaccine. People can decide which path is right for them. The panic, hysteria and hatred is completely unnecessary. People need to get a grip.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The disease news is never about the bazillion people crossing the border illegally that might just be the cause of all of these disease outbreaks. It's always the non-vaccination people that get the blame.
The blame is always put on the people who have chosen not to vaccinate for whatever reason. No one ever blames the vaccine for not working as it should such as in the case where an entire navy ship, 100% vaccinated came down with mumps or the Immigration centers and colleges also experiencing mumps outbreaks or the schools with fully vaccinated individuals coming down with pertussis. No one wants to acknowledge that Merck, the maker of the MMR is facing charges of faking data among many other lawsuits involving fraud. It’s always easy to just hate people who don’t vaccinatte without even trying to understand the deeper issues. It’s pure hysteria.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:32 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,666 times
After reading all of the constant propaganda out there now in support of vaccines, and all of the constant demonization campaign against anti-vaxxers, I rushed out like a good little sheep and got 5 vaccines today! I know that our government has never lied, misled, or had an agenda before. Why would it be any different with vaccines? If the mainstream agenda push says to do something, then by golly gosh I am going to do it! Not feeling so great though and am pissing mercury like a fountain right now, but otherwise I am ready for my next round of vaccines tomorrow.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:42 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Spawn?

You have a right to get vaccinated or not. You also have the right to stay home during an outbreak or go out into public.

You don’t remember chicken pox parties in the pre-vaccine era? It made tons of sense considering it was a disease that everyone would get at one point or another it was known to be least dangerous in childhood. Trying to avoid it would only mean that you would be more likely to get it in adulthood when it’s more dangerous. Same for measles.

You can’t control everyone. You need to accept that.
How can I remember something I never heard until I read the link I posted about the parents in NYC and from those of you who think it’s a good plan? My kids never had chicken pox. Lots of kids we knew did, but mine never got it. Nor did I seek out a opportunity to have them infected. They got the vaccine when it came out and avoided it all together.

And you have the right to find alternate arrangements for daycare and educating your kids if you choose not to vaccinate and it’s the law where you live. You can choose, you just don’t get to avoid the consequences of that choice. You need to accept that.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:48 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
The disease news is never about the bazillion people crossing the border illegally that might just be the cause of all of these disease outbreaks. It's always the non-vaccination people that get the blame.
The bazillion people crossing the border come from countries with higher vaccination rates than the communities currently experiencing measles outbreaks.

The "non-vaccination people" are getting the blame because they are the ones that went abroad, got sick, and now are getting more people sick, including deliberately, it seems.

Quote:
Measles is relatively benign and so is the measles vaccine. People can choose for themselves.

The risk of encephalitis with measles is .028% with 1,000 instances out of three to four million cases.

There are risks to getting measles and there are risks to getting the measles vaccine. People can decide which path is right for them. The panic, hysteria and hatred is completely unnecessary. People need to get a grip.
You make it sound as if both the vaccine and the infection are equally benign. That is not true.

Where are you getting your figures for the risk of encephalitis? You cannot use the estimate of unreported cases as the denominator without also using an estimate that includes unreported deaths for the numerator.

The risks of measles are astronomically higher than the risks of the vaccine.

You still have not told us what you think about the people who are permanently damaged by measles but do not die.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
See this: https://www.cato.org/blog/migrant-ca...cination-rates
"The United States does not have the highest vaccination coverage rate for any vaccine reported below. Perhaps members of the migrant caravan have lower vaccination rates than their fellow countrymen or they are carrying other serious contagions that cannot be vaccinated against. But for most of these illnesses below, you have more to fear from your fellow Americans than from Central Americans." "
Allow me to point out the Cato Insitutute is a very conservative organization.

Quote:

No. "Benign" does not go with measles no matter what modifier you use. People used to have to put up quarantine signs on their doors when someone in the house had measles. No one with any sense ever thought measles was mild, benign, relatively benign or whatever other similar term you can think of.
https://www.google.com/search?q=meas...ByU-o60icfWlM:

The risk of measles encephalitis is 1 in 1000 cases of measles, or 0.1%, about 4X higher than you computed. I suggest this book for you: https://www.amazon.com/Statistics-Du.../dp/1119293529 "Statistics for Dummies"
https://www.cdc.gov/measles/about/complications.html

The risks of the vaccine are infinitesimal compared to the risks of the disease. The panic, hysteria and hatred about vaccines is completely unnecessary. People do need to get a grip.

Quote:
The blame is always put on the people who have chosen not to vaccinate for whatever reason. No one ever blames the vaccine for not working as it should such as in the case where an entire navy ship, 100% vaccinated came down with mumps or the Immigration centers also experiencing mumps outbreaks or the schools with fully vaccinated individuals coming down with pertussis. No one wants to acknowledge that Merck, the maker of the MMR is facing charges of faking data among many other lawsuits involving fraud. It’s always easy to just hate people who don’t vaccinatte without even trying to understand the deeper issues. It’s pure hysteria.
That's because in virtually every epidemic since the two dose regimen was implemented, about 90% of cases are in the unvaccinated. Oh, you can (and will) find an isolated incident where that's not the case, but when you look at the big ones, including Europe 2018, those are the stats. 100% of those people on the Navy ship did not come down with mumps. In point of fact, 25 sailors and Marines got sick with parotitis, not necessarily caused by the mumps virus, out of 703 personnel. That is 3.5%! Even if it all is mumps, that's darn good efficacy for the vaccine, 96.5%. It's pure hysteria to think that mumps vaccine is totally ineffective.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The bazillion people crossing the border come from countries with higher vaccination rates than the communities currently experiencing measles outbreaks.
That’s not exactly true. You recently shared a link in the past showing vaccination rates in other countries that were comparable to the rate in NYC (which is high by the way) and in some cases lower.

Quote:
Where are you getting your figures for the risk of encephalitis? You cannot use the estimate of unreported cases as the denominator without also using an estimate that includes unreported deaths for the numerator.
The numbers came from the CDC. You can’t just use reported cases of measles because the actual rate is sooooo much higher. That number would be extremely dishonest and totally out of proportion to reality. The vast majority of people who get encephalitis will go to the hospital. The vast majority of people who got measles just rode it out at home.

Quote:
You still have not told us what you think about the people who are permanently damaged by measles but do not die.
How many people were permanently damaged from measles each year? Show your source. Not cases from 1863 or 1910, cases in the years just prior to the vaccine introduction. Early 1960s in the US. People are also damaged from vaccines. More then are documented.

Last edited by MissTerri; 04-13-2019 at 04:04 PM..

Old 04-13-2019, 03:56 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
The blame is always put on the people who have chosen not to vaccinate for whatever reason. No one ever blames the vaccine for not working as it should such as in the case where an entire navy ship, 100% vaccinated came down with mumps or the Immigration centers and colleges also experiencing mumps outbreaks or the schools with fully vaccinated individuals coming down with pertussis. No one wants to acknowledge that Merck, the maker of the MMR is facing charges of faking data among many other lawsuits involving fraud. It’s always easy to just hate people who don’t vaccinatte without even trying to understand the deeper issues. It’s pure hysteria.
The vaccines did work in the the outbreaks you are describing. Most of the vaccinated people did not get sick. I have provided the effectiveness rates for you before.

The charges against Merck have yet to be proven and have to do specifically with the effectiveness of the mumps component of the vaccine. It has nothing to do with safety. Perhaps we should wait for the outcome of the suit before assuming Merck has done anything wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
After reading all of the constant propaganda out there now in support of vaccines, and all of the constant demonization campaign against anti-vaxxers, I rushed out like a good little sheep and got 5 vaccines today! I know that our government has never lied, misled, or had an agenda before. Why would it be any different with vaccines? If the mainstream agenda push says to do something, then by golly gosh I am going to do it! Not feeling so great though and am pissing mercury like a fountain right now, but otherwise I am ready for my next round of vaccines tomorrow.
If you are "pissing mercury like a fountain" you need to stop eating tuna.

The only childhood vaccine with thimerosal is flu vaccine from a multidose vial. The single dose syringes do not contain any.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 04-13-2019 at 04:25 PM..

Old 04-13-2019, 03:59 PM

In regards to the Navy ship with a mumps outbreak among a 100% vaccinated population. The media is calling it a “mumps like illness” of viral parotits. Parotits is a symptom of mumps. Viral Parotitis is mumps the vast majority of the time. The spin is unreal. I guess when you can’t blame “anti-vaxxers” you just lie instead.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Were people unaware that chicken pox is much more dangerous in adulthood? Did they not realize that everyone would get it at some point no matter how hard they tried to avoid it? Why were they trying to delay the inevitable? And by doing so, increase their risk? It doesn’t make sense.
No, they were waiting for some guru like the conniving Dr. Bob or the unemployed post-doc Tatayana to come tell them!
"In temperate climates, varicella typically occurred before the age of 4 years, and annual peaks occurred in late winter and early spring."
Get it? Most kids got chickenpox before four years of age! No one had to do much to get it either. Even before kids went to preschool and day care, they got exposed and got chickenpox before age 4! Kinda makes you wonder about all these chickenpox parties you hear about. Who has much memory of life before age 4?
https://cmr.asm.org/content/23/1/202

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Good. Now you wont' be infecting people. Funny that the manufacturers took the mercury out of vaccines 18 years ago, and you got some with it. They're pretty expired, probably won't do you much good. Oh, maybe the flu shot, because a huge 20% of injectable flu vaccine manufactured this year was in multidose vials with thimerosal in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies