Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2019, 11:11 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times

Advertisements

Doing some research into why babies aren't vaccinated for measles under a year old. Unsafe? No. Read a report from NYC which said babies can be vaccinated at 6 months, but would need to be revaccinated again at 12 months. This gets into immunity being passed on from their Mothers according to the article. No precise time when it ends. The measles vaccine is "live attenuated"; meaning it contains a lesser amount of the live virus? If baby still has antibodies passed on from Mom, these antibodies would just kill the live virus in the vaccine making it pointless? Same as for all people who had a full blown case of measles in the past. Their antibodies would just kill the "live attenuated virus" in the vaccine. Just trying to put this into a layman's perspective.

Grandson is only 6 weeks. Still young enough to have antibodies from his mother, and being breastfed. Will have to send these articles to my daughter.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:12 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
They need to change that. If they aren’t physically coming into a public school and possibly infecting a student who medically can’t be vaccinated then it makes no sense. Laws should have some logic to them. I see none in that one.

If a parent doesn’t want to vaccinate and chooses homeschool/online school, they should have access to the same books/materials/programs a vaccinated homeschooler gets. Vaccination requirements should only pertain to kids who physically enter public schools.

most "home schooler's" have access to the schools for extracurricular activities (sports, crafts, etc)

Old 04-17-2019, 11:12 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It’s not going to change to allow homeschoolers to opt out.

This is one example. Homeschoolers will not be exempt from the current bill making it’s way through the house in Colorado and will be impacted by the changes made to medical exemptions. An amendment was proposed by a Republican Rep to not include homeschoolers and the Democratic majority shot it down.

This push isn’t about common sense, it’s about control and ensuring that no one gets to opt out.
Seems like a huge overreach to me.

What do homeschoolers stand to lose? Does your state provide free materials to homeschool parents?

Old 04-17-2019, 11:14 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
most "home schooler's" have access to the schools for extracurricular activities (sports, crafts, etc)

Better pass laws to mandate all teachers, custodians, parent volunteers, coaches, cafeteria workers, paras to all get fully vaccinated as well considering all of those groups would spend MUCH more time in schools then an occasional visit from a random homeschooler.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:15 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
It’s also not illegal not to have a passport. Just can’t go to Bali without one.

Choice, consequence.
Do the majority of people go to Bali?

Or go to public, private, online, or homeschool in the US?

Suppose your kid is immunocompromised so you homeschool, and now the schools require all vaccines, no opt outs, for all kids. And the public official just denied your petition for a medical exemption.

Are YOU going to get your kid the vaccine? What does that parent do? Where is that parent's choice?

Old 04-17-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Seems like a huge overreach to me.

What do homeschoolers stand to lose? Does your state provide free materials to homeschool parents?
They would be faced with the “choices” to either vaccinate, leave the state and hope the state they moved to doesn’t pass similar laws or break the law by not reporting to anyone.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
That’s where I’d draw the line. Not vaccines no anything on school property. But, they still should have access to homeschool materials if the state provides them.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Doctors are not required to report anything.

And since side effects listed on packaging aren't really side effects, the doctors wouldn't know what to look for even if they were required to report.

Doctors get almost no vaccine training in med school.

"closely monitored"? Um, no.
That is untrue, that is, a lie, since I'm sure you knew this.
https://vaers.hhs.gov/resources/infoproviders.html
"The National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act (NCVIA) requires healthcare providers to report:

Any adverse event listed by the vaccine manufacturer as a contraindication to further doses of the vaccine; or
Any adverse event listed in the pdf icon VAERS Table of Reportable Events Following Vaccination [PDF - 75KB] that occurs within the specified time period after vaccination.
In addition, CDC encourages you to report any clinically significant adverse event that occurs in a patient following a vaccination, even if you are unsure whether a vaccine caused the event."

Another lie. It is insulting to doctors everywhere to infer they don't know what a vaccine adverse reaction/event look like, and it is a lie that they are not required to report.

Yet another lie.

Um, yes. Another lie. In addition to VAERS, there is the Vaccine Safety Datalink.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
That’s where I’d draw the line. Not vaccines no anything on school property. But, they still should have access to homeschool materials if the state provides them.

The state doesn’t provide homeschool materials. Not in my state anyway. Unless you mean aon online school via a school district.

I think you’d also need to include vaccine mandates for everyone who comes in the school if you think it should apply to homeschoolers who might on rare occasion set foot in schools. That would include all parents, staff, etc. Want to attend your grandchild’s play? Better show proof of immunizations.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Do the majority of people go to Bali?

Or go to public, private, online, or homeschool in the US?

Suppose your kid is immunocompromised so you homeschool, and now the schools require all vaccines, no opt outs, for all kids. And the public official just denied your petition for a medical exemption.

Are YOU going to get your kid the vaccine? What does that parent do? Where is that parent's choice?
Doesn’t matter how many do or do not go to Bali. According to your logic, if 1 person suffers a consequence of their choice then there is no freedom of choice.

According to my logic, they got to choose and they bear the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies