Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 07:06 AM

10 posts, read 3,786 times

Advertisements

If you believe that climate change will be an imminent danger to our way of life in a few years, I have a simple question for you that I often ask of people who SAY they believe this..

Have you cashed out your 401k, maxed out your credit cards and started preparing, like a prepper would?

Why not?

If I SERIOUSLY thought that something was coming down the pike that would seriously change society or perhaps cause society to end, what need would I have for a 401k or credit cards? Survival would be paramount.

I'm often meant with blank stares. They TALK as if they believe this will happen with 100% certainty but ACT as if normal life goes on.

I'm serious! Why the disconnect between words and actions.

I obviously think life will go on and there will be little change as there has for the last 30 years but I am curious why those who seem to legitimately believe this, do not seem to ACT like it.

So, next time you are at a cocktail party and someone brings up climate change and how we are all doomed in short order, ask them if they've cashed out their 401k and started prepping! The looks you get will be priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 07:15 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1969 View Post

The biggest disconnect is fools like Leonardo "Climate Change" DiCrappio using 450 long yachts that move 50 feet to the gallon of diesel. Preaching AGW while your carbon footprint is measured in kilotons is a kiloton of disconnect between words and actions.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
The biggest disconnect is fools like Leonardo "Climate Change" DiCrappio using 450 long yachts that move 50 feet to the gallon of diesel. Preaching AGW while your carbon footprint is measured in kilotons is a kiloton of disconnect between words and actions.
I see what you are saying, but how many people are there in the world like Leo, that sail around on HUGE yachts consuming lots of fuel...not that many...certainly not when compared to the average Joes, all driving cars and trucks, the numerous tractor trailers on the roads today, etc.

If Leo choose to park his yacht and never use it again, (and other wealthy people did similar things), that would not be that significant, in terms of changing or reversing climate change.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:50 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I see what you are saying, but how many people are there in the world like Leo, that sail around on HUGE yachts consuming lots of fuel...not that many...certainly not when compared to the average Joes, all driving cars and trucks, the numerous tractor trailers on the roads today, etc.

If Leo choose to park his yacht and never use it again, (and other wealthy people did similar things), that would not be that significant, in terms of changing or reversing climate change.
Go to any harbor in any coastal city. Look at the marinas. You will see that there's plenty of folks driving around in million dollar boats.

Not that this has anything to do with affecting our climate.

What more important is what these rich folks in their yachts are doing to pollute the earth.

This is a completely valid argument as the results are tangible. Look along the side of the road as you drive to work today. Take notice of how much garbage is there. Want to save the world? Start by preventing the lazy from littering.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:58 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
The question is one of stopping the full brunt of climate change that will occur if we do nothing.

You suppose that those that accept the science of climate change will act like unhinged selfish, self-centered right-wing preppers who are all in it for themselves and can't wait for armageddon. Their philosophy is killed or be killed and fear of the future.

Those that think we should take proactive action on climate change want to preserve what we have, not destroy it. Burying our heads in the sand is not our way. We accept the challenge of dealing with this difficult issue.

We are not losers like preppers living day after day petrified of what the day will bring.

Taking action now is what we are about. Let the losers bury themselves in caves. We have work to do.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

There are many who preach destruction by global warming/climate change who sail around on yachts and travel frequently by plane.

When they change their habits, then I will review more in depth... maybe.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:02 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The question is one of stopping the full brunt of climate change that will occur if we do nothing.

You suppose that those that accept the science of climate change will act like unhinged selfish, self-centered right-wing preppers who are all in it for themselves and can't wait for armageddon. Their philosophy is killed or be killed and fear of the future.

Those that think we should take proactive action want to preserve what we have, not destroy it. Burying our heads in the sand is not our way. We accept the challenge of dealing with this difficult issue.

We are not losers like preppers living day to day in fear.

Taking action now is what we are about. Let the losers bury themselves in caves. We have work to do.
And yet you've done nothing yourself to affect any meaningful change

Old 04-15-2019, 08:05 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Go to any harbor in any coastal city. Look at the marinas. You will see that there's plenty of folks driving around in million dollar boats.

Not that this has anything to do with affecting our climate.

What more important is what these rich folks in their yachts are doing to pollute the earth.

This is a completely valid argument as the results are tangible. Look along the side of the road as you drive to work today. Take notice of how much garbage is there. Want to save the world? Start by preventing the lazy from littering.
Its about bulk though, MUCH MUCH more average Joes and their cars, plus tractor trailers on the roads.

If vehicle emissions play any part in negatively effecting climate, you would have to focus on the majority of vehicles.

I think if it were truly THAt dire, they would be imposing strict restrictions on vehicles, and especially tractor trailers, they would limit how many can be on the road, how long they can operate, etc. It would come down to our survival, so it would have to be extreme measures taken.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:06 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And yet you've done nothing yourself to affect any meaningful change

How do you know. It is a typical denier post to make crap up of which you know nothing.

I have addressed this issue before in other threads. I will not rehash it for you. Do your homework.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:08 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1969 View Post
If you believe that climate change will be an imminent danger to our way of life in a few years, I have a simple question for you that I often ask of people who SAY they believe this..

Have you cashed out your 401k, maxed out your credit cards and started preparing, like a prepper would?

Why not?

If I SERIOUSLY thought that something was coming down the pike that would seriously change society or perhaps cause society to end, what need would I have for a 401k or credit cards? Survival would be paramount.

I'm often meant with blank stares. They TALK as if they believe this will happen with 100% certainty but ACT as if normal life goes on.

I obviously think life will go on and there will be little change as there has for the last 30 years but I am curious why those who seem to legitimately believe this, do not seem to ACT like it.

So, next time you are at a cocktail party and someone brings up climate change and how we are all doomed in short order, ask them if they've cashed out their 401k and started prepping! The looks you get will be priceless.

That's just human nature. Even if we accept that disaster is going to happen, we want to live in denial as if the denial is some kind of shield. This is why you had people partying in New Orleans during Katrina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies